Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 14:33   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Steel Boat, Non Skid, Alternatives to Expensive Rubber Sheet

I used a product called Easytread. Rubber particles, water based, easy to use but a bit expensive (3 * 4 litres for 44' steel).

During my insurance survey the surveyor commented that he disapproved of sand based antiskid as they can cause injury so it could be best to stay away from them.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 15:13   #17

Boat: William Bollard, Gypsy Wave, 28'

Thanks for the replies so far guys,

some of those goopy liquid style products seem to be the go.

Sand is my absolutely last resort as its just nasty, grips well but still nasty.

Plus i would like to have something that is a bit more shock absorbent in case things get dropped on the deck.

The rubber sheet that i priced was rudely expensive, almost $400 per sqm.

I dont mind paying for something that's good but that stuff is a rip of for what it is,...

That tread grip that someone suggested is good value, at about $100 for 4 liters, which is more than enough to do my little boat.

The only problem that i will have will be "will it work" as i have 2 pack epoxy primers and want to go over the non skid in 2 pack top coat.

I will keep you posted anyway.

Thanks

Matthew
Old 17-10-2012, 15:39   #18

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Yes, I find the sand too abrasive. It can chew your sails etc. I also get annoyed at the grating sound when I pull surfboards across it. This is why I am looking at painting over with one of the above products.
Old 17-10-2012, 16:14   #19

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Yes, I find the sand too abrasive. It can chew your sails etc. I also get annoyed at the grating sound when I pull surfboards across it. This is why I am looking at painting over with one of the above products.
Hmmm.. I was going to suggest sand- bugger. But as a cheap test, what about putting another coat over the top of an existing sand area- to "round it off" for want of a better term. You may find that one more coat still gives you non slip, but without the course finish it currently has.

It would be simple and very economic to test a small area first. If it works, you have the perfect solution. If it fails- no biggie :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 16:41   #20

Boat: Outremer 50S

If you don't want to use sand then this may be a no go...

We have used crushed walnut shells. These are sold in the marine marketplace, but are far cheaper as a sandblasting abrasive. Comes in a variety of sizes and is pretty much the same as using sand. Paint, sprinkle, paint.

The advantage comes when it's time to take it off, doesn't chew up grinding discs quite as fast.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 19:22   #21

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

I wouldn't stick anything to a steel deck, just a matter of time til the rust gets in there.[/QUOTE]

Surely not a issue if well bedded.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 19:27   #22

There are some interesting industrial floorings which would be useful i think. Don't have the reference but Google is your friend.
Old 17-10-2012, 19:53   #23

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Used sand and 2 part paint on the steel deck of our Colvin, for over 25 yrs, never had a slip problem, ever! Sure it started off a little rough on bare feet but ya get used to it ! and makes for some tough feet !! Just sayin sand works a lot cheaper and is good to get your feet tough LOL
Old 17-10-2012, 20:31   #24

When I bought my steel boat it was painted with enamel and the decks were as slick as ice. I painted a nonskid pattern on the decks with a pool and patio nonskid latex paint. It had chunks of latex rubber in it. The first coat looked awful, but by the third coat it looked nice and even. I then painted it light blue with Sears pool and deck paint. After a year of cruising, most of the boat looked like a rust bucket, but the decks still looked good. I was always embarrased to say that I used a houshold latex on a boat, but it seems that a lot of people have discovered that it works. When I masked the deck off to paint I copied the fiberglass boat that was next to me on the hard and it came out looking great. I have been on many boats that used sand to make thier decks nonskid and found them rough, but worse than that it tears up weather gear">foul weather gear. Anything you save in using sand can be eaten up(literally) in foulies. ___Another 2 cents worth._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 20:40   #25

Hi
We had a 48 foot steel Ted Brewer pilothouse which we cruised on for 8 years. In Florida we took all of the old worn out treadmaster off ( heat gun and a putty knife). We used swimming pool filter sand which we sprinkled on a one part boat paint (interlux- 2 parts are just to much of a headache for us ) before the paint dried.We used a large salt shaker to control the sand. Then we left the boat for a few days to let the paint set up. It looked really nice and the swimming pool sand was easy to find, cheap and easy to work with.
p.s....sold that boat and now have fiberglass- one steel boat for us was enough
bcarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 21:45   #26

Boat: William Bollard, Gypsy Wave, 28'

To all the people with posts, thanks for your opinions.

I found the product that im going to use and have figured out the best methods to apply it and its already ordered and should arrive shortly.

The product will be tread grip from dominion plastics, and they best way to install this type of stuff from asking 3-4 different companies selling similar products is actually quite simple.

I will do all my normal 2 pack epoxy primers and then top coat so that the paints finished, then mark, tape and sand the area to apply, then apply 2 -3 coats of tread grip.

If i really want it to stick like a sh!t to the proverbial blanket i can mark the areas to do, sand and then re-coat with an extra layer of epoxy top coat sprinkle the normal glass sand on it, let it tack of blow excess sand away then hot bond the tread grip straight to the fresh painted areas.

I will do a sample somewhere on a spare piece of steel first, but im fairly certain that it will all be good.

And as im putting white tread grip on to white paint it will look good anyway, plus the tread grip has an added insulation value as well.

And price wise, the one rubber sheet product that i first wanted to use was going to be almost $400 Au for a square meter and tread grip which will essentially be the same thing once finished costs me about $120 Au to do 10 square meters.

Bit of a difference there.

thanks again everyone,

Matthew
Old 18-10-2012, 07:01   #27

Well, it sounds OK - let us know how it goes. Not sure how much deck you have but white on white may be bit bright in the sunny parts of the world. I don't think i would do all white again.
Old 18-10-2012, 07:09   #28
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
....... but white on white may be bit bright in the sunny parts of the world. I don't think i would do all white again.
I'm heading the other way, found even a very pale brown burned the soles of your feet in the tropics. ...
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 07:26   #29

Cream?
Old 18-10-2012, 08:50   #30

Many years ago I read that the coolest deck paint was white, but we know how glaringly reflective that can be. My 2 fiberglass cruising boats had cream colored nonskid areas with white trim. On my steel boat I went with a light blue, and it was cooler than the cream colored decks. I sailed on a boat with grey decks and it was very hot under foot. It all has to do with the heat absorbtion of the color. I am sure there are charts that show heat absorbtion for the various colors. It can make the differance between a comfortable boat, or a hot boat.___Good Luck._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote