Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2012, 19:24   #1

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'
Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil

I know this topic has been discussed over and over again and I have read tons of posts covering Teak Oil/Varnish discussions, however new products come out over time so a recommendation from 2009 might have changed.

Has anyone used Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil for interior teak? I just cleaned and bleached the head and vberth of our 1974 Westsail 32 which consist of a TON of teak and mahagony. Tung oil has been used over the past 30 years and I seriously doubt anyone has cleaned it this well ever.

I want to go back with an oil I believe (really don't think I want to jump into the varnish camp) and everything I read seems to point to Starbrite Tropical Teak oil.
They say:
-It's easy with just one or 2 coats needed and can last years inside a boat with little maintenance.
-That it keeps Teak brighter for longer
-That it also acts as a sealer so 1 or 2 coats and you are done, no sticky oil to contend with later.

Has anyone found this to be true? Is the Classic Dark color a nice shade or does it end up looking too orange? What about the smell down below? We don't plan to live on the boat for 2 years so a fading smell is ok.

Any votes for other oils and why?

See attached for a picture of the Cabinets in the head before cleaning and after.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-cabinets-before.JPG
Views:	642
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	48650   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-headpaint-after.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	48651  

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 20:02   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil

i've been using starbrite tropical teak oil on my 37' cutter for eight years. best teak care stuff ever. for the exterior teak.

it contains a u/v inhibitor which protects the exterior teak from sun damage. i absolutely swear by it and recommend it to anyone who will listen. but i don't think it's what you want to use for your interior, where the sun don't shine.

for our interior, which is all teak and mahogany, my wife uses and recommends 'old english' brand of furniture oil. i'm happy with the way it looks and she's happy with how easy it is to use. by the way, we've never varnished the interior.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 21:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i've been using starbrite tropical teak oil on my 37' cutter for eight years. best teak care stuff ever. for the exterior teak.

it contains a u/v inhibitor which protects the exterior teak from sun damage. i absolutely swear by it and recommend it to anyone who will listen. but i don't think it's what you want to use for your interior, where the sun don't shine.

for our interior, which is all teak and mahogany, my wife uses and recommends 'old english' brand of furniture oil. i'm happy with the way it looks and she's happy with how easy it is to use. by the way, we've never varnished the interior.
I'm curious why you wouldn't use it for the inside? The inside of the boat gets "some" light from the hatch covers and portlights but not a ton. Wouldn't the Starbrite last even longer down below with minimal UV degradation?

Thanks for the recommendation for Old English. Have you found it to darken the wood over the years? We also have a teak and mahogany interior.

Old 22-10-2012, 21:32   #4

Boat: csy 37

the starbrite leaves a surface finish on the wood that looks great on deck but probably wouldn't look so good down below. i'd hate to see you try it and then not like it and have to try to get if off.

the old english seems not to darken the wood so much as restore it's original color. but i notice others have had good luck with 'orange' oil and 'lemon' oil. i'm personally opposed to varnishing as it's just too darn much work and needs to be repeated to often....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 21:42   #5

Quote:
the starbrite leaves a surface finish on the wood that looks great on deck but probably wouldn't look so good down below. i'd hate to see you try it and then not like it and have to try to get if off.

the old english seems not to darken the wood so much as restore it's original color. but i notice others have had good luck with 'orange' oil and 'lemon' oil. i'm personally opposed to varnishing as it's just too darn much work and needs to be repeated to often....
Thank you! This is exactly the kind of recommendation I was looking for. I have also heard of people using orange oil and lemon oil.

We have some tung oil on the boat, although It's probably 10 years old at least.

Old 22-10-2012, 22:25   #6

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibug
I know this topic has been discussed over and over again and I have read tons of posts covering Teak Oil/Varnish discussions, however new products come out over time so a recommendation from 2009 might have changed.

Has anyone used Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil for interior teak? I just cleaned and bleached the head and vberth of our 1974 Westsail 32 which consist of a TON of teak and mahagony. Tung oil has been used over the past 30 years and I seriously doubt anyone has cleaned it this well ever.

I want to go back with an oil I believe (really don't think I want to jump into the varnish camp) and everything I read seems to point to Starbrite Tropical Teak oil.
They say:
-It's easy with just one or 2 coats needed and can last years inside a boat with little maintenance.
-That it keeps Teak brighter for longer
-That it also acts as a sealer so 1 or 2 coats and you are done, no sticky oil to contend with later.

Has anyone found this to be true? Is the Classic Dark color a nice shade or does it end up looking too orange? What about the smell down below? We don't plan to live on the boat for 2 years so a fading smell is ok.

Any votes for other oils and why?

See attached for a picture of the Cabinets in the head before cleaning and after.

Thanks!!
What did you clean the wood with? I need to do the same, but do not want to damage the wood.
Old 23-10-2012, 00:49   #7

Boat: Franz Maas 37

I have for years used OCedar oil for all my unvarnished interior woodwork. It's an Australian product but assume it can be bought far and wide. Here is a link to give you some info Colonial Living - O'Cedar Oil Polish
It smells quite nice, but I know of one cruiser who uses a natural lemon oil. Smells plurry wonderful and makes his timber look great also.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
What did you clean the wood with? I need to do the same, but do not want to damage the wood.
Well, through MUCH trial and error (read cleaned the wood 6 different ways in different areas, lol) I found that first dissolving 1/2 cup of TSP into 2 gallons and having another clean bucket of water on the side and many many towels, I used a Heavy Duty Scrub Pad first and scrubbed lightly against the grain of the wood. And by heavy duty scrub pad I don't mean the kind used to clean dishes I mean the kind used to remove varnish.

This scrub pad is one off the most important things! Mine accidentally went overboard with a bucket on day 1 so on day two I used other scrub pads with not as good an effect. I went back on day 3 with the right pad and re cleaned the areas.

The TSP water will get dark with the old stain as you scrub so use the clean water bucket as needed. I used the towels to wipe across the wood periodically and soak up the stain as well. The towels will turn brown and you will know you are getting somewhere. It also helps with the wash down process since you can't exactly hose off the interior of the boat.

Next use a sponge and towels and fresh buckets of water to "rinse" the area just cleaned. The most difficult part of the whole cleaning process to me was getting out on deck and filling up new buckets of water.

Next I started the 2 part cleaning and bleaching using Starbrite products. Use same Heavy duty scrub pad with the Cleaner first. Rinse with clean water and towels like above. Let dry then use soft sponge to apply the bleaching part. Directions say to wait five minutes but I waited 20 and also reapplied coats of the bleach. Wash bleach off with fresh water also.

It took a total of 20 hours to clean and bleach the Head and Vberth in our Westsail 32, Which is totally teak and mahogany, no plastic. I think my time would have been cut in half if I had used the right scrub pad and cleaned every area with TSP right from the start.

It may not look like much in the picture but I assure you the difference is striking. When I wipe a wet sponge over the cleaned wood the wood glows with amazing colors. I was about to paint lots of area white in our boat, but now plan instead to clean the wood in the rest of the boat to bring out the gorgeous color.

My thumbs and wrists and knees hurt a bit after all of this, but it is a labor of love, and the results are awesome.

Now I can't wait to oil it, but am in desperate need of more suggestions. I would like to use lemon oil or simple furniture oil but am unsure if this will penetrate back into the wood like I need. I don't want to have to oil it every 3 months. I am looking for something that will keep for a year and not leave an oily residue.

Maybe furniture oil will work..I have some tung oil on the boat and may try both in a hard to see area to test.

Old 23-10-2012, 06:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
I have for years used OCedar oil for all my unvarnished interior woodwork. It's an Australian product but assume it can be bought far and wide. Here is a link to give you some info Colonial Living - O'Cedar Oil Polish
It smells quite nice, but I know of one cruiser who uses a natural lemon oil. Smells plurry wonderful and makes his timber look great also.
Do you know if this was used initially when the wood was bare, stripped of any oils or is this just something you need to use for maintenance once the wood is already oiled?

The wood I am dealing with is bare and dry, I need something to reoil it with.

Old 23-10-2012, 06:55   #10

Quote:

Oh yeah and I meant to ask, was Old English used on the wood initially when the wood was totally bare and dry after a good cleaning and bleaching or is it something you use to maintain the wood after the initially reoiling?

Old 23-10-2012, 15:17   #11

Boat: Moody 42

Star Brite Tropical teak sealer according to the can. Do not use on interior as it requires UV exposure to fully cure. So no, don't use on your interior teak.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 15:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman375 View Post
Star Brite Tropical teak sealer according to the can. Do not use on interior as it requires UV exposure to fully cure. So no, don't use on your interior teak.
That is good to know! I instead am going to instead try the Starbrite Golden Teak oil for the interior.

Old 30-10-2012, 20:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakman View Post
I used Starbrite Teak oil and it only lasted 3 months.

About 3 years ago I switched to "Primo Teak Sealer" and I never looked back, this stuff works!!

Apperently it's built with epoxy resin and oil and it lasts for years. I deffently reccemend trying a product that last longer then Starbrite.
Thanks for the suggestion. Were you using Starbrite on the exterior or interior? I have heard many people say the exterior use only get gets about 3 months, but I'm hoping to get close to year out of using it interior. So far it looks wonderful.

Old 31-10-2012, 11:40   #14

Boat: Moody 42

Just to be clear we are now talking about two different products. Teak oil and tropical teak sealer. I've seen the sealer work well in southern latitudes, but probably needs a quick coat every 4-6 months. Much easier than varnish or Cetol and much better than oil of any sort.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 13:21   #15

Boat: searching...

We wash interior Teak with murphys soap and apply starbrite teak oil. Happy with outcome.
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil