Here's a little update on this project
. I went ahead with 1/2" Starboard as the main decking material, and used 5/4x4 PVC trim material for blocking. Everything is attached with stainless screws.
The first two pictures show the laz in its "before" state. The remnants of epoxy
and the two wood blocks are from a platform that I removed that supported the combo washer/dryer. It's location was terrible making it impossible to put detergent in the dispenser, and impossible to access the space behind the washer. Part of the new decking will include relocating the washer to a more functional location.
The next pictures show the first three sections going into place, and you can get a view of the scribed blocking that support some of them. All the blocking and scribing was the most time consuming part of the job, but so far I'm pretty pleased with the results. It's not fine cabinetry, but fine for a laz.
Since these pictures, I put one more piece of decking all the way outboard
of the pieces you can see in the pictures, then did the same on the other side.
I'm now cleaning
up a bunch of pluming prior to reinstalling the washer/dryer. I've also get a handful of milk crates for storage
and once I have decide where everything will I'll screw cleats
(as in strips of starboard, not things you lash a line to) to the decking to hold the crates in place.