Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-10-2015, 17:04   #16

Re: Standing Rigging, or Lack Of. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychosaffa View Post
i purchased a wee 20ft trailer sailer. the problem i have is that the majority of standing and running rigging has gained legs and disappeared, apart from the forestay. every cloud and all that. anyways, what is the best method to get the correct measurements for new rigging? do i just hoist the mast with ropes and measure from there? what size turnbuckles would you guys suggest?

all advice is greatly appreciated.
Basically, you measure up with a tape measure. Then you attach the rigging to the mast and spreaders but making the wires over length by a safety margin of maybe 3' and not fitting the rigging screws at the bottom just yet. Then you lift the mast using ropes to hold it up. Using a tape measure at the hounds ( where the upper shrouds meet up the mast) you measure down to the chainplates at each side and adjust the ropes on the mast until it is straight with the same measurement on each side and a slight rake aft on the mast. Then adjust each rigging screw out to a little longer than halfway ( say 3/4 out) and mark where each wire should be cut; importantly allowing enough length for the swage depending on the type. Each wire should be exactly the same length as its companion on the other side so you might have to lower the mast after swaging the rigging screws on one side. Then measure and cut / swage the other side. Finally with the mast raised again you use the tape measure ( with a thin downhaul line) tied to a sail slide and held up by the halyard and measure down to the chainplates again and tension so each wire including the lowers are the same measurement on each side. Often trailer sailers have a fractional rig for lightness. That is, there is unstayed mast above the rigging. Often in that case it's a good idea to have the lower shrouds a little looser than the uppers. This allows the mast to bend forward a little in the middle. That will flatten the mainsail in stronger winds and help the trailer sailer sail faster and not heel as much.
The turnbuckles ( rigging screws) will be an appropriate size for the wire used. The size of wire used will depend on the mast fittings. If in doubt ask the suppliers of the rigging wire and rigging screws. Check another boat of the same design if you can.

Old 09-10-2015, 21:42   #17

Re: Standing Rigging, or Lack Of. . . .

I notice that you have the forestay still so the other wires should be the same thickness and assuming it still has the rigging screw you could use similar ones for the other wires. Your lower shrouds might be a size thinner and you will see that by comparing the mast fittings.
I've rigged all my boats apart from my first 16' trailer sailer (1969) .That is the method I've used and they have all been fractional rigs. A masthead rig would be done in a similar fashion only it would likely also have a backstay that requires tensioning. If yours is a fractional rig it might still have a backstay but that is more used to put a little bend in the top of the mast and should have a 4 or 6 part rope purchase at the bottom. Most likely yours is a fractional rig and the backstay wire can then be a size smaller than the rest.

When I've rigged my masts I've gone to a rigger to buy the wire, rigging screws etc and they have happily loaned me tools overnight and given advise. When you cut the rigging wire, wrap the spot to be cut with a couple of turns of insulation tape and use a large cold chisel and big hammer to cut on a block of hardwood with one bang in the center of the tape.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:21   #18

Boat: Matilda 20
Re: standing rigging, or lack of. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
3mm is a smidge bigger than 1/8":
25.4 mm (one inch):8=3.175.
So 3mm is a smidge smaller than 1/8".
Happy imperial measures😀[/QUOTE]
HA HA!
Bravo...

You just keep sayin' that to yourself there big fella...
[/QUOTE]

Rather have a wee mast than be a motor boater. . . . Actuly, there is nothing wrong with some motor boating.

Decided to go down the DIY route with swagless fittings and 4mm wire.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:24   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Re: standing rigging, or lack of. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychosaffa View Post

Rather have a wee mast than be a motor boater. . . . Actually, there is nothing wrong with some motor boating.

Decided to go down the DIY route with swagless fittings and 4mm wire.
I heard somewhere the sailor faction refers to them as stinkpotters...

I enjoy a good whiff here and there....

Your 4mm and swageless sounds PERFECT! Something you can definitely do... A fun (and exciting) project for sure...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: