Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 14:56   #16
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,034
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

My understanding is chain plates on an IP are next to impossible to replace as they are glassed in. I'm sure this boat was rarely sailed, and probably never sailed very hard. (it's never had an autopilot, nor a windlass) I'll inspect the chain plates as well as I can during survey, and if I find no evidence of corrosion I'll eave them alone until I plan on beginning my cruising, if I find evidence of corrosion, I'll almost certainly walk away from the boat. Price I have offered does not include a complete re-fit.
I'll be learning sailing slowly with this boat, not venturing very far until I can afford to retire, then if this is the boat for me, I'll re-fit her for serious cruising, and if not put her up for sale.
__________________

__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 15:07   #17
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

Well...

As long as you're on the high side of the budget.... You might as well go all in, and fit carbon rod....

__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 17:30   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
FSMike's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bahamas/Florida
Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Posts: 2,654
Images: 5
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

SSMR, Inc. St. Petersburg, Fl. Had my last boat (Allied Seawind Mk. II ketch) rerigged there and was quite pleased. Too senile to remember the cost.
__________________
Sail Fast Live Slow
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 17:47   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the hook in Florida
Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages
Posts: 504
Re: Standing rigging costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Any good contacts for getting rigging replaced in South Fl? East or West side? Or should I wait until I get her home in Panama City and find someone there?
Christian Dam. He works alone so you only pay for one guy. His hourly was less than $100 in 2010 and worth it. He was based in Hollywood at that time and may still be. He will travel to the keys and further north.

Dam Rigging
__________________
Trying to live on 20th century money in the 21st century.
jcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:59   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,570
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My understanding is chain plates on an IP are next to impossible to replace as they are glassed in. I'm sure this boat was rarely sailed, and probably never sailed very hard. (it's never had an autopilot, nor a windlass) I'll inspect the chain plates as well as I can during survey, and if I find no evidence of corrosion I'll eave them alone until I plan on beginning my cruising, if I find evidence of corrosion, I'll almost certainly walk away from the boat. Price I have offered does not include a complete re-fit.
I'll be learning sailing slowly with this boat, not venturing very far until I can afford to retire, then if this is the boat for me, I'll re-fit her for serious cruising, and if not put her up for sale.
How hard the boat was sailed has little to do with the state of the chainplates. I'm not sure what issues you see that make you you think the standing rigging needs replacing, but I can't see spending the money on new standing rigging and not know the state of the chainplates. Why not save the money and do the re-rig before you set off cruising and do the chainplates at the same time. There is a company who is mobile (out of Texas I think) and pretty much all they do is IP chainplate replacements. Have you asked this question on the IP owners site.
__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:14   #21
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,034
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

Guy's
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming the standing rigging is original is why I think it needs replacing, but I have zero sailboat experience so I'm having to rely on others opinions. Another assumption is if I pay to have it inspected, any rigger will condemn it based on age if nothing else, so at that point I believe I have paid for an inspection that I knew what the results would be before hand, and have painted myself into a corner insurance wise? My understanding was I'd be better off not paying for an inspection and just going ahead and replace the 27 yr old standing rigging.
Chain plate wise I'm under the understanding that two things cause their replacement, fatigue and corrosion. Fatigue of course from being sailed often and hard, and corrosion from neglect. I believe I can get a good enough look visually to give an opinion corrosion wise.
Or should I go ahead and NDI the swedge fittings on the deck myself (I'm a level II aircraft NDI Tech and have the equipment and knowledge necessary) and keep the old rigging in place (if I find no cracks) until we get ready to go out cruising at which point everything is replaced? This boat will spend the next few years being lightly sailed in good weather around the panhandle area of Florida in the Gulf.
I've not yet asked anything on any IP owners site. It's not even my boat yet, survey is Mon. the 10th
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:38   #22
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Guy's
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming the standing rigging is original is why I think it needs replacing, but I have zero sailboat experience so I'm having to rely on others opinions. Another assumption is if I pay to have it inspected, any rigger will condemn it based on age if nothing else, so at that point I believe I have paid for an inspection that I knew what the results would be before hand, and have painted myself into a corner insurance wise? My understanding was I'd be better off not paying for an inspection and just going ahead and replace the 27 yr old standing rigging.
Chain plate wise I'm under the understanding that two things cause their replacement, fatigue and corrosion. Fatigue of course from being sailed often and hard, and corrosion from neglect. I believe I can get a good enough look visually to give an opinion corrosion wise.
Or should I go ahead and NDI the swedge fittings on the deck myself (I'm a level II aircraft NDI Tech and have the equipment and knowledge necessary) and keep the old rigging in place (if I find no cracks) until we get ready to go out cruising at which point everything is replaced? This boat will spend the next few years being lightly sailed in good weather around the panhandle area of Florida in the Gulf.
I've not yet asked anything on any IP owners site. It's not even my boat yet, survey is Mon. the 10th
Mr. Pilot,

Here's my take... You're going to have a surveyor out.... Although he will say he's not qualified for a rig inspection, ask him to to include a general inspection in his list... If he thinks it's so unsafe that it merits replacing or a further inspection, then call the rigger de jeur... Have him come out and tell you what needs replacing by getting a quote...

Chainplates fail by corrosion.... The fatigue loads without corrosion present are not even part of the equation... You can ND all you want... If you find a problem, then you can address it... Your major places for probable failure will be in "non-testable" regions...

I'll investigate IP plates and see what I can add....

BTW... I think this is an awesome fit for you boat pick wise!
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:18   #23
Registered User
 
Tar34's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 291
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

Island Packet boats have a history of failed chain plates. The plates are embedded and glassed into the hull. Plenty of pictures if you just Google. Since the plates are essentially outboard as it relates to sail trim, I might consider external plates with with a backing plate. Benefits would be, less expense, new plates, easy install, easy inspection, current plates supplemental attachment points for other rigging, peace of mind. I don't think this would really compromise the look or sailing characteristics of the IP 38. Just a thought.
__________________
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:24   #24
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,034
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

MdrSailor,
I'm leaning more towards what you are saying, with the idea of pretty much replacing everything before we head full time.
My instructions for my inspector is I've told him his job is to show me why I shouldn't buy this boat. He mission is to find problems.
I have a six month old insurance survey for the boat that says rigging is fine, seller provided it, but it's obviously a "drive by" survey meant to not find anything.
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:27   #25
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,034
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
Island Packet boats have a history of failed chain plates. The plates are embedded and glassed into the hull. Plenty of pictures if you just Google. Since the plates are essentially outboard as it relates to sail trim, I might consider external plates with with a backing plate. Benefits would be, less expense, new plates, easy install, easy inspection, current plates supplemental attachment points for other rigging, peace of mind. I don't think this would really compromise the look or sailing characteristics of the IP 38. Just a thought.
Actually I had thought of this, but never thought about leaving existing chain plates in, I assumed they would need to come out so they wouldn't be in the way of mounting the new plates?
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:28   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 371
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

Pick the mast. Tangs and such may need work. Spreaders same. As far as wire have it cut and swaged on the top and leave the bottom long by a foot. When you put the mast up use a couple old wires to reattach to chainplates. Then all the other wires can be cut exactly and the sta-locs installed. After they are all perfect go up the mast and change out the last 2.

You'll save time and money picking the mast unless you're just changing a couple.

Lastly you'll save money by hiring a good rigger as they will know all these tricks. If you can help them it'll save you money as you and your friends can be the labor and they can be the foreman.
__________________
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:29   #27
Registered User
 
Tar34's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 291
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Actually I had thought of this, but never thought about leaving existing chain plates in, I assumed they would need to come out so they wouldn't be in the way of mounting the new plates?
They would be difficult to remove. Really no benefit to remove them other than cosmetic. Keep and use them....lightly...they are difficult to inspect...
__________________
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:57   #28
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
Island Packet boats have a history of failed chain plates. The plates are embedded and glassed into the hull. Plenty of pictures if you just Google. Since the plates are essentially outboard as it relates to sail trim, I might consider external plates with with a backing plate. Benefits would be, less expense, new plates, easy install, easy inspection, current plates supplemental attachment points for other rigging, peace of mind. I don't think this would really compromise the look or sailing characteristics of the IP 38. Just a thought.
This is a brilliant solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
MdrSailor,
I'm leaning more towards what you are saying, with the idea of pretty much replacing everything before we head full time.
My instructions for my inspector is I've told him his job is to show me why I shouldn't buy this boat. He mission is to find problems.
I have a six month old insurance survey for the boat that says rigging is fine, seller provided it, but it's obviously a "drive by" survey meant to not find anything.
Honestly... My gut feeling is ... I think you're going to be able to put off this expense for a few years....
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 16:38   #29
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

My Wife got this email today....



Quote:
Good Day My Dear,
Glad to know you are on the market of Rigging.
I am so prond to introduce our team which is the main factory for Rigging in China and who has been in this field for over 20 years.Top quality,responsible for for goods and being active enough for new products,that's why we are so successful in RIGGING.
Our products cover TURNBUCKLES,WIRE ROPE CLIPS,THIMBLES,SHACKLES,EYE BOLT AND EYE NUT,SNAP HOOKS,HOOKS,SWIVELS,CHAIN,LINKS AND SWIVE,WIRE ROPE,ALUMINUM SLEEV AND WIRE ROPE SLING TYPES.Please don't hesitant to mail me if you feel interested.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any demond.I am sure any of your requirement on rigging will get our prompt attention.
Good news:we are going to attend INTERNATIONAL HARDWEAR FAIR IN COLOGNE from 9th.March to 12th.march.2014
and we are going to attend NATIONAL HARDWEAR SHOW IN LAS VEGAS from 7th to 9th May.2014.Looking forward to meeting you there.
Forgive me if I disturbed you for puting you on the addressee list,but it's really import for the director and material department,you'll be appreciated for helping me to forward it to the relative person.
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:57   #30
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Standing Rigging Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
My Wife got this email today....
My dear???

I'd be incensed if another man offered to show my girl his rigging...
__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rigging

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standing Rigging chuey General Sailing Forum 7 17-08-2013 12:38
How Often Sould Standing Rigging be Replaced? sustutt Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 19 06-08-2013 16:08
Cost of Standing Rigging Target9000 Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 24 07-10-2012 14:17
Hammocks and Stress on Standing Rigging rhumbunctious Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 8 06-08-2011 10:08
Affordable Synthetic Standing Rigging jfranta Commercial Posts 0 23-07-2011 07:09



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.