Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 17:46   #1

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Stainless rivets in Aluminum

I did a search and found some info on what i was looking for. now I am looking for some feedback. I am wanting to put ss rivets in place of aluminum rivets in my boom(rear boom sheeting and the gooseneck). I purchased some tef-gel and intend use liberally...What i am looking for is how they( rivets, aluminum and corrosion) stood the test of time. Many (not all)of the posts were from 2008. thanks for any and all info
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:55   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Stainless rivets in Aluminum

monel
Old 08-01-2012, 17:58   #3

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
monel
Thank you. i read that in my research and was pretty confused, some say use it others say when put with aluminum it will cause corrosion faster than ss
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 18:05   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"

I have used S/S and Monel (prefered) rivets in my boom and mast sucessfully for over 20 years (in one cruising boat that spent a lot of time in warm waters). Tef Gel, Lanocote, Neverseze, and Locktite all worked well for me. I always use Mylar tape to insulate any fitting between the two surfaces. The "goop", regardless of which aforementioned variety was used, was liberally applied to the rivet before fastening.

I would make sure that dirt or dried salt did not accumulate for long periods at the interface edges of the fittings and mast or boom. As a result, there has been no visible sign of corrosion. Often I drill and tap for 1/4 x 20 (would prefer a finer thread yet fine thread 1/4 inch fasteners are not always readily available) or 10 X 32 (way better than the usual 10 X 24) fasteners which are, of course, easy to remove and examine for any corrosion to the aluminum. I have never had difficulty removing such fasteners by using good sealant (never silicone products) and ALWAYS have difficulty removing any fastener previously installed by others who did not use a good sealant, even after only several months.

Remember that all aluminum is just "waiting" to return to its natural state: a white powder. Keeping other metals and chemicals away from aluminum surfaces helps ensure a metallic state. With good insulators and sealants you should have no trouble.