Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2019, 18:46   #61

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: SS Anti Galling lubricant

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I've wondered that myself.

I've done my anchor winch bolts quite tightly but my sheet winches only "firmly". On the engine mounts bolts I've nipped them up using "nyloc" nuts.

But how much torque do you need on a skin fitting which has been bedded using Sikaflex 291?

Being in Oz, and being a through hull, I'd suggest the method I've always used which is using Sika 291 for the sealant and lubricant for the nut as you spin it on. Rather than be worried about galling, be worried about not cross threading and she'll be right, mate. I sometimes make a donut of marine ply soaked in epoxy and sanded to conform to the curvature of the hull as well, and use the 291 to seal it in place during installation if the hull is a bit too curved or on the thin side at the location.

Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 19:07   #62

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Being in Oz, and being a through hull, I'd suggest the method I've always used which is using Sika 291 for the sealant and lubricant for the nut as you spin it on. Rather than be worried about galling, be worried about not cross threading and she'll be right, mate. I sometimes make a donut of marine ply soaked in epoxy and sanded to conform to the curvature of the hull as well, and use the 291 to seal it in place during installation if the hull is a bit too curved or on the thin side at the location.
+1

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 19:22   #63

Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I sometimes make a donut of marine ply soaked in epoxy and sanded to conform to the curvature of the hull as well, and use the 291 to seal it in place during installation if the hull is a bit too curved or on the thin side at the location.
Your doughnut idea is good but I don't have that problem above the water line as my yacht is foam core. I use a hole saw to almost cut right through the hull from the outside of the hull. Then I go inside to cut a bigger hole through the inner glass and core (using the same centre). Then I fair the glass/foam and then epoxy glass over the exposed foam. The I fit the through hull fitting.

PS OMG!! I just noted your location: your yacht hasn't overturned has it. Let us know if you need help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp through hull fitting.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	188128  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 19:30   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I am about to install some SS through-hull fittings but I am hesitating because I can't find my Permatec(?) so I'll have to buy some more and everything I look at is so hideously expensive.

Can anyone recommend a good product?

lanocote (by Colin Busch) and subsequently bought by CRC is a great product also another product is "Prolan" another lanolin based product. Im not sure about its international availability but it is aslo quite cheap and has multiple uses around the boat, Tef-gel is great also but a bit more costly.
I wouldn't skimp on it as the alternatives can be disastrous especially on a through hull or prop nut when the last thing you want is it galling on you.
DreamWeaver III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 08:24   #65

Boat: Marcon Sabre 27'

A few years ago, I bought a tub (I think it's one pound) of grease for wheel bearings on boat trailers that go into salt water. I used it to pack the Bearing Buddies on the trailer for my Hunter 26.
I gave the grease to the new owner when I sold the boat. It was more expensive then other bearing grease, but not by much. A pound would be a lifetime supply.

Not lock tite, but I think it would be a good, cheap lubricant, made for dissimilar metals in salt water.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 08:44   #66

Has anyone had any experience with anti-seize or lanocote or something similar on SS nuts that require a specific torque, losing some of that torque due to the slippery threads so to say? What about in an application where heat is present? Like as an example it's suggested that exhaust manifold bolts are checked for their torque setting after some time. Yes I know the manifold bolts won't be SS but I'm just using that as an example where heat might be present after application.
seatotaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 09:14   #67

Boat: Marcon Sabre 27'

I've used the copper and silver coloured never seize on head and manifold nuts, studs, and bolts, for years. Never had one loosen up. Always said a hearty THANKS when I loosened a nut or bolt that had never seize on it.

Same with bolts on outboard lower ends (to replace water pump impeller). SS bolts into aluminum. Never Seize seems to have copper or zinc in it, but it has never seized, in my (mostly salt water) experience.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 10:10   #68
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Galling is a process where the lack of lubrication causes microscopic abrasions in the metal. These abrasions increase the coefficient of friction to the point that the threads appear to be locked. The lubricant prevents the abrasions and thus the threads do not lock up.

Anti-sieze is not really needed since corrosion isn’t the problem. All you need is lubrication that lasts until the threads are tight. Any SS threaded fastener such as nut and bolt should be considered a one time use and discarded if it is removed. I know that is a harsh thing but it is the only way to fully avoid the galling problem.

The OP said "galling" but the context made us believe he actually meant "seizing."

If it is galling, any good lubricant will do. What matters is that the threads are clean of grit and corrosion, INCLUDING thick, often nearly invisible oxide layers on stainless. Clean them up with a brush. The other thing is to go slow. Heat is a big factor. Once there is tension, you should go much slower than you think you need to. Really slow. Remember that the turnbuckles on your shrouds may look like stainless, but they are either plated bronze or have bronze inserts.

Seizing is corrosion. Totally different. But that is not to say that corroded parts are not more likely to gall. They are. Much more.

I would not go nearly so far as "single use" in most applications. It depends on whether the bolt was greased, whether it was tightened slowly, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, if it was tightened for more than a few turns under high load, like a turnbuckle might be. If the bolt was used to pull something into position over some distance, one use might be it. You can generally tell by looking closely at the threads. Any distortion, pitch it.
Old 16-03-2019, 10:52   #69
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Cal 2-46 / Le Comte 35'

I've been using this stuff for 20 yrs after a Kiwi friend turned me on to it. Have never seen it sold in NA. You smell the lanolin but they don't reveal it's content or never looked hard enough. Doesn't wash off and always use it toque SS components like keel bolts /nuts. Messy and goes a long way.

RES-Q-STEEL PROTECTIVE COATING 800G - Maui Ocean

Products
https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...ize-lubricant/

Chris

Ground Tackle Marine offers the highest quality ground tackle products to discerning clients. We are the only North American distributor of the Excel and Sarca anchors manufactured by Anchor Right Australia. Contact us through our website www.groundtackle.com
Chris or Nick will be pleased to help whatever your ground tackle questions are.
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 12:24   #70
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Remember that the turnbuckles on your shrouds may look like stainless, but they are either plated bronze or have bronze inserts."
Contrary to the various posts we've seen about crevice corrosion and hairline cracks found in STAINLESS turnbuckles?? I was under the impression that, at least in small craft, stainless was the norm and that bronze, or chromed bronze, was the hard one to find.
??
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 14:13   #71

Boat: Valiant 42

Hellosailor,

Most screw type turnbuckles for standing rigging are made of two different materials. The reason is because if they were pure stainless then the threads could easily become locked which is what some people call “galling”.

To avoid this the screw part is usually chromed bronze. There is much less chance of the threads locking then. Even so, there are recommended thread lubricants specifically for turnbuckles. These should be used to facilitate easier adjustments.

Some turnbuckles are made fully from bronze. But the cost it much higher than SS for the turning part. So not as common these days.

transmitterdan is online now   Reply With Quote