Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-01-2016, 07:23   #16

Re: Spreader Lights vs. Foredeck Light

I'm not a big fan of the super bright lights on boats, as they can temporarily blind other boaters if not directed properly or used judiciously. I also hate driving lights on cars, if they're not angled down. Yes, you can see better, but you're blinding the other drivers.

I'm sure everyone here uses them judiciously, though.

Old 13-01-2016, 07:33   #17

Thank you for all the responses!

My sailing fund is not bottomless so saving some money here is huge. Thanks a lot!

Old 13-01-2016, 08:00   #18

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

I have an old Hella steaming/foredeck combination light, and the thing is so robust and overbuilt with a glass lens on the foredeck light. Very bright. I really don't use it all that much though, except for anchoring and doing deck stuff. The thing I don't like about spreader lights is most of the time people install them half-assed and you have wires/cables all over the spreaders.
Old 13-01-2016, 08:18   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
I'm not a big fan of the super bright lights on boats, as they can temporarily blind other boaters if not directed properly or used judiciously. I also hate driving lights on cars, if they're not angled down. Yes, you can see better, but you're blinding the other drivers.

Sounds like all are high mounted, and pointing nearly directly down, so they shouldn't bother anyone, at least not like a spot light will, although I will use mine if I think it's prudent.
Old 13-01-2016, 08:30   #20

Boat: Catalina 30

Have a foredeck light but yet to use it. Installed a flood on the spreader that somehow got turned a bit when we stepped the mast. Does a great job of lighting up the finger and neighbors boat. Guess I need to fix that next time aloft.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-01-2016, 09:00   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Our neighbors during Christmas strung Christmas lights up all over their boat, we had to cover the hatches to get some sleep
Old 13-01-2016, 09:27   #22
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post

There are no other boaters where we go. I'd rather have the light and not need it than need it and not have it.

We also don't have a problem with driving lights on cars where we sail. So annoying other people with my foredeck light is not an issue for us.
Old 13-01-2016, 10:05   #23

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Ketch S/V Solace

I have an LED foredeck light on the main and spreaders on the mizzen. I think bad decision not to have both. The few times when critical issues arise at night I can't imagine having to fumble around in the dark.
Old 13-01-2016, 10:08   #24

Boat: Want a B430!

In high traffic areas at night I run both. And I mean under sail and at anchor. With all the drunk power boaters, I want as much visibility as possible.
Old 13-01-2016, 10:19   #25

Boat: 1980 Hunter 36

I have two spreader lights, one on each spreader and they are enormously bright LEDs that only draw 18 watts each. Lights up the entire boat like it's daylight. I use those most often. https://store.marinebeam.com/18-watt...preader-light/

I have a foredeck light as well, but only because it's built into my steaming light. I use it occasionally if I need 'less' light than the spreaders, if I'm on the hook and need to leave it on for a bit (as it only uses around 6 watts) or if I'm trying not to wake my dock neighbours
Old 13-01-2016, 10:45   #26
Mike

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Spreader lights... Rather good at illuminating the decks when unwanted, uninvited, undesirables come aboard at zero-dark-thirty. This I know from experience. Dual switching helps... Turn on from the helm OR from below - for us, at the companionway. Those lights should - IMHO - be considered as part of a boat security system. Plus noisemakers.

Foredeck light... Well, on our boat that causes a shadow when I'm up forward during anchor maneuvers or even when out checking the anchor system chaff guard. So, for me, those dinky LED headlamps are better because they put a bright light right where I'm looking. And isn't that the point?
I second both these points. When it comes to light when you need it more is better
Old 13-01-2016, 11:23   #27

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

My masts are out now and I am starting the refinish and rewire of every part of them.

I got one of these for a foredeck light. My masts are wood and square so this light will fit nicely against the flat face.
1x2 65 DC Scene Light - White Surface White... | Rigid Industries

I like the way the light is pretty evenly dispersed and not overly bright. I am considering mounting one on my mizzen mast also, but with the light shining upwards to the sails. In this position it could be used for additional light at anchor to light up the masts and rigging without shining down through the hatches below. 3/4 amp draw.

I chose these for spreader lights. These are considerably brighter than the 86620 and probably wouldn't be good idea to use while underway for all the night vision reasons previously stated. Nice to have that light though when sorting out dive gear and such on deck before a night dive. 1.45 Amp draw each
Marine SR-Q - Diffused - Spreader Light - Pair... | Rigid Industries

If you look around hard enough you can find the 86620 for about $65/each and the 94551 for about $167 for the pair.
Old 13-01-2016, 15:56   #28

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
...saw that it would be useful in a MOB situation at night.
Have you weighed the need for keeping your night vision and the use of a powerful hand held spotlight in the MOB situation?
Old 13-01-2016, 18:53   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl

I have the Forespar combo Steaming/Foredeck light and I think it's a pretty good solution. From the helm, you cannot see the source of the light so there is less night blindness, but rather a softly lit foredeck. Spreader lights used to be 35W each, so there's no question that would light up the entire area, but would wreck havoc on one's night vision.

Chuck Hawley
Old 13-01-2016, 18:59   #30

Boat: Catana 42S, 45ft - Chaotic Harmony

Actually I would not go to sea for any extended period without a foredeck light. I have used ours many times on dark nights while crossing oceans to assist up fwd for a variety of reasons. Unexpected noises, rounds in and after squalls to check on chafe and gear, re-stowing loose items etc. Night vision comes back soon enough but in restricted waterways we found that we did not use it as there was no need to go fwd. The last thing you want is to have someone fall or injure themselves at sea or even fall overboard. (It is difficult to pull down and change sails at night locked up tighter than a fishes butt in harnesses and safety gear).

Tags
deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: