Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2015, 17:28   #1

Spreader angle star sailboat

i am trying to adjust the rigging on this restored sailboat. I have read and consulted several tuning guides and cannot figure out how to have the spreaders angled toward the back. I realized though that the shrouds are anchored in front of the mast. So how is that possible. Everything match the tuning guide information but does not look right. Please help I am about crazy.
Cdepret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 18:44   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Spreader angle star sailboat

http://www.onedesign.com/Portals/106...uningguide.pdf

That took me less than 1 second with google......those are very physical boats, should be fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 04:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cdepret.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 05:12   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Odds are you'd get lots of feedback over on Sailing Anarchy. That, or track down Mark Reynolds, if he still works in the Sobstad loft in San Diego. Nice Guy.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 05:21   #5

Sorry about my less than useful reply. The shrouds are not fixed, they sweep as you change the shape of the mast for upwind/downwind. Upwind, if I remember correctly the mast is bowed aft and the shrouds sweep aft, downwind with the runners tightened the mast inverts and the spreaders sweep fwd. this mast is very noodly and will scare you with the amount of dancing it does when not being actively controlled.

Old 31-05-2015, 07:25   #6

Boat: Oyster 55

The tuning guide that sailmonkey provided will help.
Again a star mast is very dynamic and the spreaders as well as the mast moves around a lot dependent on what strings you pull. Mainsheet and upper runner will bring the rig back (and spreaders) BUT make sure the mast is released at the partners by a lever that controls lower movement.
Is this your first boat or maybe first race boat?
Stars are a hand full in a breeze so would suggest NEVER gybe until you get the dynamics down. You can always just tack the boat which exerts a lot less pressure on the rig and the runners are less important. On the other hand if you miss a runner on a gybe even in medium air you can loose the rig.
Ideally it would be nice to get someone aboard that has experience with Stars. They are like no other boat!!
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 19:30   #7

Thank you so much. This is not my first boat by any mean but this is my first Star. I hope I will do ok. I am in the south on a lake. It is such a beautiful design.

I have been reading several tuning guides, Quantum, North sails and Doyle. All of them have the same measurements and my boat was adjusted the same way. Yet it looks like the mast is leaning to much backward and the spreaders are angled forward which I don't feel comfortable with but you might be right. At no point (unless I overlooked) the guides indicate that spreaders may look weird until the boat is rigged with sails. I remove the mast to re-verify everything and will put it back together.

I also noticed that most Star sailboats have a L shape plate as a shroud connector to the hull. Mine just has two eye bolts which may not be good as far as adjustment and traction on the deck. Do you know where I can get the plates and what size and position they should have from the bow.

Can you please clarify this. "BUT make sure the mast is released at the partners by a lever that controls lower movement".

Thank you so much again

Chris D
Old 31-05-2015, 22:21   #8

I am no expert but will try and answer your questions.
The mast lower section is controlled by a Ram (or mast mover) that works off a series of blocks or an actual mental rod attached to the mast just below the deck.
This allows the mast butt to be pulled back and allowing the top of the mast to lean forward off the wind. It gives you much more speed down wind by allowing the jib to be trimmed without being blanketed by the main. However this must be released when heading back upwind and applying runner tension because you will break a rig.
Starboats have been built in Italy, Germany and the US however vintage accounts for more differences in setup than make or country of origin. I have owned 3 Stars in the past and they all had shroud attachments to cars on a tract that ran along the deck. I think the older boats may have had a simple eyebolt that you describe. The newer boats are much easier to sail than the older models but that is to be expected.
You are getting into a boat that you not only trim the sails but also the rig.
Also lowers that are too tight will keep the spreaders from falling back so make sure your lowers are loose. In fact the rig does not need any lower tension except in the lightest of conditions and when by applying your lowers it simply powers up your main. Otherwise sail with upper tension only.
Do you have sails?
There are a ton of used star sails around so you should not have to buy any.
The boats are fantastic to sail and it is no wonder some of the best sailors in the world come out of the star class. I know first hand because I have been beat by most of them.
It can serve you well as a day sailor if you take it slowly and begin only in the lightest of winds.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:22   #9

Thank you again. My boat is an 87 and was built in the U.S. It was just completely restored and has 4 sets of sails including some race ready. I did not put the sails on because I was concerned about the spreaders. Since I am in for a double verification, do you think I should look into replacing the eye bolts with tracks. Finally I noticed that since the shrouds are anchored in front of the mast it must be very unlikely that spreaders will angle toward the back unless there is some additional tension which might be provided by the sail. So to your knowledge should I setup sails and attempt to go as is?

Thank you so much,
Old 01-06-2015, 05:33   #10

Your spreaders will sweep aft as you tighten the leach of the sail....and the mast will take on the shape needed to swing the spreaders aft. Also you should have a magic box or some other leverage device at the hounds or mast base force theist shape.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:02   #11

I would be concerned that the spreaders do not pop back. Sails are not needed for this to happen.
It may be that your mast butt is simply too far aft.
The Stars I have sailed have a very moveable butt that travels approximately 6-8 inches on a plate with stops at both ends. If the mast does not go forward enough the spreaders will not pop back. Again this is controlled by a mast Ram.
When sailing you NEVER want the spreaders to angle forward. You adjust the rig so they are straight and when upwind then they angle back.
Does your boat have a Ram? This may be an issue.
I do think for the sake of brevity and to lesson the confusion you should speak to John MacClausland of Moorhouse MacClausland Sailing here on the east coast. He is a dealer in Star Boats and parts supplier and obviously very knowledgeable. His number is 609-518-0100. Oh yes and he won the Star Worlds in 2013.
If all else fails send me your phone number privately and we can chat. Also the Star Class Historian is a member of my yacht club with over 30 years experience in Star boats and owns about 5 at my last count. So he would be a good resource regarding the design of the older boats.
Don't give up the boat will reward you with much knowledge and sailing pleasure.
ciao
Old 06-07-2015, 20:01   #12

Thank you so much. I do have the plate/track at the bottom of the mast. It may have 10-12 positions. The mast is currently on the number 4 or 5 setting from aft. I am still reviewing the adjustment as I have not made progress. I will call the number you provided. The ram is totally loose as per instructions so are the lower backstays. I will keep in trying different settings but so far it does not look enough to go on the water!
I will try to post some pictures.
Thank you again,
Christian D
Old 25-08-2015, 19:33   #13

I read somewhere, maybe on this forum that I needed to put a couple of bolts on the spreader bracket to prevent them from going forward. At first it seemed odd and defeating the purpose but then I could not see any other solution to pre-bend the mast. This is what I did and it works fine. I went through a bad storm with gusty wind 30-35 knots and it did hold fine. I lost a couple of battens and i have now a hard time finding replacement. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Tags
sail, sailboat