Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2017, 06:54   #1
Registered User

Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Sprayhood bolting woes on Beneteau 49/50

This is one for Beneteau Oceanis 49 (aka 50) owners (2006 to 2010 models). We have a 2006 and are getting play on the feet of our sprayhood, which means they're no longer watertight. So we naturally want to detach them, clean the surfaces, caulk, and bolt everything back together. We can't find our way to the bolts from the inside of the boat though and wonder if anybody here ran into the same issue and found a solution. Usually Beneteaus are really well thought out in that regard but not for this particular bit of hardware, apparently. Attached are pictures from the outside and the inside. On the inside I tried finding my way from every access cutouts in the ceiling, including from the ceiling light in the picture. I even tried removing the hatch's OceanAir blind/mosquito-net assembly on the off chance there'd be a usable slit between the inner mold (ceiling) and the outer mold (outside deck) but unfortunately that OceanAir assembly seems glued onto the ceiling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	154440

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1641.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	154441

So if you ever found your way with a tool to that particular point, I'd be delighted to know how. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
RedHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 07:24   #2
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,217
Re: Sprayhood bolting woes on Beneteau 49/50

Have you considered that they may not be thru-bolted, but rather simply screwed down? Have you removed one screw (or what you have been thinking of as a bolt), to see? Good luck.
__________________

__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 07:41   #3
Registered User

Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Sprayhood bolting woes on Beneteau 49/50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Have you considered that they may not be thru-bolted, but rather simply screwed down? Have you removed one screw (or what you have been thinking of as a bolt), to see? Good luck.


The nuts are actually top side as visible on the picture--which might require zooming in, especially if you're doing this on a smartphone. I have tried two nuts, was able to unscrew one but the other one has its bolt turning along so I have to get under there to keep it in place.

We have considered the bolts could have been glassed in originally but then what about people who don't want a sprayhood, and what about maintenance such as in our case? It would seem too poorly designed coming from Beneteau but then again they're not infallible and also cutting corners like the best of them.
__________________
RedHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 09:03   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,202
Re: Sprayhood bolting woes on Beneteau 49/50

My best guess is that they glassed the bolts in place. If the bolts are loose now, one option to remove the nuts is an electric cordless impact driver, like this one :

20V MAX* XR® Brushless Tool Connect™ Impact Driver Kit - DCF888D2 | DEWALT

Because it drives the nut with a series of shocks, it imparts very little force to the other fastener, the bolt in this case.

Another option - just grind or cut the nut off.

So lets assume that you've got all the nuts out. What to do next? The choice appears to be to re-bond the bolts in place (epoxy), or to remove them and through-bolt right through the deck and the liner. That's how it's done in my Bristol, with stainless steel backing plates inside.
__________________
Bristol 31.1, SF Bay.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 11:15   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Belfast, ME
Boat: Beneteau 49
Posts: 78
Re: Sprayhood bolting woes on Beneteau 49/50

We have a Beneteau 49. Our dodger is screwed down, not bolted, as an aftermarket addition. In adding lots of gear we have used a variety of approaches, from adding a 4" inspection port to the headliner, to drilling a hole and popping a small cover into the hole. We apparently have some water intrusion port of the mast, with no access and will probably have to cut away the headliner and glue it back together after the repair is done.
__________________
Utahsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 15:45   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: UK
Boat: Jeanneau 371
Posts: 154
Re: Sprayhood bolting woes on Beneteau 49/50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahsailor View Post
We have a Beneteau 49. Our dodger is screwed down, not bolted, as an aftermarket addition. In adding lots of gear we have used a variety of approaches, from adding a 4" inspection port to the headliner, to drilling a hole and popping a small cover into the hole. We apparently have some water intrusion port of the mast, with no access and will probably have to cut away the headliner and glue it back together after the repair is done.
I had a Jaguar (Car) in the 70s the only way to the starter motor was to remove the engine or cut a hole in the passenger foot well. Do what you have to do. I cut a hole and patched it up to look like it was intended.
__________________
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 06:47   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 78
Re: Sprayhood bolting woes on Beneteau 49/50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Have you considered that they may not be thru-bolted, but rather simply screwed down? Have you removed one screw (or what you have been thinking of as a bolt), to see? Good luck.
I agree with Stu
That is why there is a raised section (looks like at least 15mm in the photo) that has been used to fix the bolts into the coachroof under the foot of the base of the spray hood arm. I cannot see another reason for building that raised section so high (and narrow - which does not spread the load of the foot)

Do both the feet of the spray hood have bolts that are turning on the base plate as the other one might give you a clue if you can unscrew both nuts?

Hope this helps
__________________
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 09:13   #8
Registered User

Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Sprayhood bolting woes on Beneteau 49/50

Thanks for all the replies so far. I managed to disassemble the port side yesterday. Turns out originally the sprayhood must simply have been screwed in but I'm facing a repair of a previous owner. Now there are two additional holes in the fiberglass to the center of the original ones. In these, a metal plate is screwed (again) which in turn holds the two bolts that are fastening the sprayhood.

Needless to say that these two new holes are worn out too by all the vibrations and stress the sprayhood is relentlessly subjected too while sailing.

It's going to be quite a bit of work to do right but I'm determined to bolt it through the deck with a decent backing plate. I'll post again when I'm done. My immediate PITA is to clean out all the caulk that was injected in that cavity. I may end up cutting an access panel in the ceiling only because of that to begin with.

Here are some pictures (the yellow strings were ment to prevent the bolts from falling in while disassembling things but it turned out there was no danger for this to happen).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1643.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	154678

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1644.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	154679
__________________
RedHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 09:20   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 78
Re: Sprayhood bolting woes on Beneteau 49/50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeather View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far. I managed to disassemble the port side yesterday. Turns out originally the sprayhood must simply have been screwed in but I'm facing a repair of a previous owner. Now there are two additional holes in the fiberglass to the center of the original ones. In these, a metal plate is screwed (again) which in turn holds the two bolts that are fastening the sprayhood.

Needless to say that these two new holes are worn out too by all the vibrations and stress the sprayhood is relentlessly subjected too while sailing.

It's going to be quite a bit of work to do right but I'm determined to bolt it through the deck with a decent backing plate. I'll post again when I'm done. My immediate PITA is to clean out all the caulk that was injected in that cavity. I may end up cutting an access panel in the ceiling only because of that to begin with.

Here are some pictures (the yellow strings were ment to prevent the bolts from falling in while disassembling things but it turned out there was no danger for this to happen).

Attachment 154678

Attachment 154679
Thanks for the update
Great progress and I agree with your route of repair ..... Do it right the first time
__________________
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 09:50   #10
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,545
Re: Sprayhood bolting woes on Beneteau 49/50

Standard procedure would be to install a deck plate in the headliner to provide access to nuts and a backing plate. Where there is no space between headliner and deck, simply through-bolt with backing plate and acorn nuts.
__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 10:10   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,025
Re: Sprayhood bolting woes on Beneteau 49/50

DRILL ACCESS IN HEADLINER, USE PLUGS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEADLINEBOLTS1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	154682  
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 02:25   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, sailing in the Med.
Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50
Posts: 399
Re: Sprayhood bolting woes on Beneteau 49/50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeather View Post
This is one for Beneteau Oceanis 49 (aka 50) owners (2006 to 2010 models). We have a 2006 and are getting play on the feet of our sprayhood, which means they're no longer watertight. So we naturally want to detach them, clean the surfaces, caulk, and bolt everything back together. We can't find our way to the bolts from the inside of the boat though and wonder if anybody here ran into the same issue and found a solution. Usually Beneteaus are really well thought out in that regard but not for this particular bit of hardware, apparently. Attached are pictures from the outside and the inside. On the inside I tried finding my way from every access cutouts in the ceiling, including from the ceiling light in the picture. I even tried removing the hatch's OceanAir blind/mosquito-net assembly on the off chance there'd be a usable slit between the inner mold (ceiling) and the outer mold (outside deck) but unfortunately that OceanAir assembly seems glued onto the ceiling.

Attachment 154440

Attachment 154441

So if you ever found your way with a tool to that particular point, I'd be delighted to know how. Thanks!
Looking at the current installation (the nyloc nuts, and ugly washers), this was done by a previous owner - definitely not factory. So originally it was self-tapping screws, and no need for access from below. Two options come to mind.
1. Remove as you can (cutting, whatever), then reinforce the area with glass-filled polyester or epoxy, then re-drill, and re-screw.
2. remove as above, then cut a slot large enough to slip a pre-threaded backing plate in, re-glass, and remount with machine screws.

You could also source a couple of round plastic bungs as used by Beneteau etc for various access points below (usually found in lockers etc), then cut suitable sized holes below, and when done snap in the bungs, but frankly, I see no need to spoil the interior finish that way.

Just one last thought - it may just be possible to slip that same threaded plate in through the downlight hole, then grab with a fixing screw from above, inject resin from above to help fix the plate, and also to fill the old holes.

Hope that helps,

David
__________________

__________________
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beneteau, hood

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Esthetic through bolting. danielamartindm Construction, Maintenance & Refit 5 14-08-2017 07:58
Fasteners for Solo Through Deck Hardware Bolting UNCIVILIZED Construction, Maintenance & Refit 14 28-10-2016 20:12
Thru-bolting dinghy chocks? svtatoosh Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 8 06-08-2014 16:49
Is there a way to get a sprayhood for old boat? georgy.goshin Construction, Maintenance & Refit 5 18-07-2013 02:49
For Sale: Windscreen and Sprayhood for HR54 quandary Classifieds Archive 2 21-11-2011 09:59


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:35.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.