Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 16:29   #1

Spares list for a Calif->Hawaii voyage?

Can anyone point me to a nice recommended spares list for a voyage to Hawaii? We are taking a recently purchased Jeanneau 45 that has not previously been in heavy-duty cruising use, so does not have adequate spares. I am already planning a spare Alternator+belt, Starter motor, and a few other items, but would love a better list. Also does anyone sell a nice kit of all the misc electrical terminals and heat shrink one might want. I can pull it together, but a pre-made kit of QUALITY Ancor heat-shrink crimp terminals/splices would be more convenient. Thanks.
J Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 17:06   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Spares list for a Calif->Hawaii voyage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sail View Post
Can anyone point me to a nice recommended spares list for a voyage to Hawaii? We are taking a recently purchased Jeanneau 45 that has not previously been in heavy-duty cruising use, so does not have adequate spares. I am already planning a spare Alternator+belt, Starter motor, and a few other items, but would love a better list. Also does anyone sell a nice kit of all the misc electrical terminals and heat shrink one might want. I can pull it together, but a pre-made kit of QUALITY Ancor heat-shrink crimp terminals/splices would be more convenient. Thanks.
The kit will depend on gear present on board.

If your boat is steered with an AP, consider taking a spare unit, unless yours is way oversize and relatively recent. Regular APs tend to suffer on long passages.

Consider how your charging system is set up too. Nice to have redundancy. If you rely heavily on a genset, it is good to have spare oil and filters.

Some method of fixing sails is good to have too. I normally glue our sail repairs in preference to making stitches.

Etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 19:07   #3

Depends on the number of crew. You dont need a spare autopilot if you have three crew members. 3 0n 6 off is not too bad for an green crew. Keep all of your spare under wear and extra clothes in zip locks. You may be surprised at the leaks. On down wind passages to warmer water, I have packed old underwear and tossed it over the side when not wearable. Make sure you have a rebuild kit for the head.; Crew carrying buckets makes for bad karma. Rebuild kits for your manual bilge pump(you do have one????). Spare sense of humor for when things look bad. 99 dollar handheld GPS with spare batteries. Have a lot of fun._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 19:18   #4

Here's a list from a friend who went to Mexico. Admittedly, it will need some editing for your trip, but should b e a good starting place based on his feedback from his experience.

1500 Mile Interim Refit Report & 3596 Update

and another

Engine Spares for a Long Cruise

Safe journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:54   #5

You could also poke around here:

Beth and Evans Home Page
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:42   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Impellers, filters, belts, extra handheld GPS, extra handheld VHF, extra batteries for them and any watermaker stuff if you have one aboard.

Here in Hilo, the nearest port from California, the majority of problems that we get calls about are fuel related (dirty or none left) and steering gear problems. I have a hunch that a lot of fin keel spade rudder boats haven't had their gear checked for quite some time and the added stress of downwind sailing for a couple thousand miles gets to them.
It's always worth the time to make certain you have an emergency steering system in mind and the materials to make one or repair yours.

Sailor fatigue has caused a couple of folks to make bad decisions close to our shores so make certain you or one of your crew is rested before getting ready to come into port.
Old 06-02-2014, 21:20   #7

Skipper John hits a good point about fatigue. If you have had a rough passage and everybody is exhausted, you might want to consider heaving too 50 or 60 miles before land fall, and everybody getting a good sleep and meal, and maybe a shower before coming into a new (to you) port. When your brain is saying,OH GOD, PLEASE LET ME BE TIED UP TO A DOCK, you are not in a very safe state of mind to enter a strange port. Tired sailors make poor decisions. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 23:49   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Impellers, filters, belts, extra handheld GPS, extra handheld VHF, extra batteries for them and any watermaker stuff if you have one aboard.

Here in Hilo, the nearest port from California, the majority of problems that we get calls about are fuel related (dirty or none left) and steering gear problems. I have a hunch that a lot of fin keel spade rudder boats haven't had their gear checked for quite some time and the added stress of downwind sailing for a couple thousand miles gets to them.
It's always worth the time to make certain you have an emergency steering system in mind and the materials to make one or repair yours.

Sailor fatigue has caused a couple of folks to make bad decisions close to our shores so make certain you or one of your crew is rested before getting ready to come into port.
I dunno where you get the idea that downwind sailing is more stressful on the boat and crew than upwind sailing. Its a pretty easy trip from California unless you try it in the winter.

I agree that some redundancy in your charging system will likely make the sail more pleasant--I talked to one boat who had to run the main engine 10 hours a day to keep the batteries up.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 13:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I dunno where you get the idea that downwind sailing is more stressful on the boat and crew than upwind sailing. Its a pretty easy trip from California unless you try it in the winter.

I agree that some redundancy in your charging system will likely make the sail more pleasant--I talked to one boat who had to run the main engine 10 hours a day to keep the batteries up.
I'm not making this stuff up. Steering gear failure is what happens in about 50 percent of the folks who need help getting into port. Having sailed fin keelers downwind I know there is a lot of rudder action to keep a boat on course. More so than full keelers and more so than sailing a beam reach or close reach. I might be wrong in assuming that was the cause and it is just my opinion that their gear failed because of lack of maintenance.

One sailor lost his boat sailing in singlehanded from the South Pacific because of fatigue. He had sighted land during late daylight and went below to fix some tea and the next thing he knew he was on the rocks. He had obviously sat on his bunk while the water was heating and had fallen asleep. Nice young man and he was devastated. I'm still using the little dinghy outboard he was able to salvage and sold to me. There wasn't much left after the locals got away with a lot of the valuable stuff when he went to the hospital with concusion, cuts and bruises.
Old 07-02-2014, 17:48   #10

The guy I helped into Hilo had his propshaft fail--I came out in the inflatable and pushed him the last 3 miles.

The highest loads on the rudder are when the apparent wind is on the beam, but you do go through that phase for a day or two on the way to Hawaii. No problem for a well designed and built fin keeler, but the Transpac seems to average about one rudder failure each race. They push those boats a lot harder than the average cruiser. I still have fond memories of waking up to the masthead in the water one night about halfway across.
Old 07-02-2014, 19:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The guy I helped into Hilo had his propshaft fail--I came out in the inflatable and pushed him the last 3 miles.

The highest loads on the rudder are when the apparent wind is on the beam, but you do go through that phase for a day or two on the way to Hawaii. No problem for a well designed and built fin keeler, but the Transpac seems to average about one rudder failure each race. They push those boats a lot harder than the average cruiser. I still have fond memories of waking up to the masthead in the water one night about halfway across.
Thank you. I'm certain the person you helped with a tow was extremely grateful. Was it a local boat or a cruiser from the mainland?
Old 07-02-2014, 19:47   #12

I came from Panama and he was coming from the South Pacific--he'd been out quite a while, as the sides and bottom of his boat were covered in gooseneck barnacles. We were both checking into the Pacific Seafarer's net and I passed him 3 days out. I knew he was coming in with problems--a good reason to use SSB rather than a satphone.
Old 08-02-2014, 00:43   #13

Everyone - thank you for all the great advice. It will help make sure we are as well prepared as we can be.
J Sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, hawaii