Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2011, 17:58   #1

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
South Texas Sand blaster.

I'm looking for a sand blaster to prep a steel hulled boat for painting in South Texas. Mainly the Corpus Christi area. I need to take it down to bare steel to repaint the hull. It's been painted previously, but the bottom paint has been sanded and repainted with anti-foul so many times, the epoxy is basicly done for.

I know more than a few indivduals on this board are in the South Texas area, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

I can find only one yard in the Corpus Christi are that will offer to sand blast a boat.

If I can't find someone to blast the boat, what do people think about using a wire wheel on a large angle grinder to clean the hull? I've got one huge 15 amp angle grinder from my welding projects. I figure it would make short work of any paint in a small area, but that would make for a VERY VERY long time under a boat to cover all the area. I'm also not sure how well the paint would stick after I'm finished. I know the blasting is basicly the "gold standard" for sticking paint to a steel hull.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 18:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: South Texas Sand blaster.

Did you try House of Boats? I don't have a sandblaster, otherwise I'd be glad to lend it out.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 18:39   #3

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Don't even consider anything less than gritblasting. When you engage a contractor specifiy the appropriate industrial standard in your contract. Also for the painting.
Done properly you should get 15+ yrs out of it; skimp and you will have a continuing headache.
Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 19:43   #4

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Did you try House of Boats? I don't have a sandblaster, otherwise I'd be glad to lend it out.
Apperently the Texas goverment's enviromental commision shut down Hooking Bull's sandblasting, and I'm not sure if House of Boats ever had sandblasting equipment, but they don't now. I could get a big enough sand blaster to do one boat, and probably buy some pawnshop air compressors to make it go, but I don't think any of the yards would let me do it on their property. I have enough freinds that have such equipment that I could find someone that would have a set up. More than likly though, the TEC would shut me down.

Only one I was able to find is Marker 533 Marine Works, but I havn't had a chance to talk to them. If anyone has used them, please send me a PM. I'm not 100% sure how to hanndle referals over CF.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 20:00   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

The EPA has set up so many rules that it's really expensive to sand blast now.
Everything will have to be contained including the air inside the tent. The used media will have to goto a hazardous waste agent for a fee. Clemtex.com - Sandblasting, Abrasive Blasting, Painting, Corrosion Control Equipment and Supplies. Houston, Dallas, Corpus Chrisi, Texas.

You could rent the equipment yourself but you better hope the EPA doesn't come by and that's if you can get a yard to let you. Corpus Christi Sandblasting Supplies | Sandblasting Supplies in Corpus Christi, TX - YP.com

I would sail it to Mexico and have them do it!

Tags
texas