Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2015, 10:31   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Source for cabin sole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
We did one of those click-together bamboo floors in our house. It was high quality but still did not last. The folks who purchased the house replaced the flooring about 3 years after we sold. We'd installed it right before selling. They had problems with the water being tracked in from the doorway and their dog's toenails both damaging it. So--no big dogs and no water tracking. LOL.

The click-together multi-ply flooring is heavy in general.

Other thoughts--many different hardwoods are suitable for easy cut and install (glue down) atop marine plywood for a nice custom floor. Some woods are very light in color--for example white oak, white pine, maple. All are light in color when finished.

My son-in-law is a builder and does not recommend bamboo for the reasons mentioned and more.

Regarding teak or teak and holly plywood. I checked prices a couple of places online. 1/4" ply with teak and holly veneer I found for $209/sheet, plain teak veneer 1/4" ply $129/sheet. So if you can add holly strips to teak ply for less that $80 in time and materials you save but I think it will work better to buy it already done.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 10:47   #32

Boat: Privilege 435
A good alternative...

I cast another vote for Amtico flooring. Prior to putting it on my cabin floor, I obtained lots of samples from different companies of their faux-teak products; Lonseal, Plasteak etc, etc... I found most all of them to be too artificial looking for my liking. They either looked like kitchen linoleum or looked like a plastic with a photo of teak on it.

I settled with Amtico. You purchase it in strips and glue it down. Two years later and I'm very happy with it. There's not a scratch on it. Of course, if you're a purist and want to put down the real stuff this is not for you but this is a good alternative.

Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 11:07   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: A good alternative...

Looks good in the picture. For price, practicality and durability I could bend my purist inclinations a bit to go with artificial instead of real wood, if it looks reasonably close. After all, veneer is halfway to artificial already.

I also got a sample of Plasteak and it looked way more Plas than teak to me. Maybe I should try a sample of the Amtico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
I cast another vote for Amtico flooring. Prior to putting it on my cabin floor, I obtained lots of samples from different companies of their faux-teak products; Lonseal, Plasteak etc, etc... I found most all of them to be too artificial looking for my liking. They either looked like kitchen linoleum or looked like a plastic with a photo of teak on it.

I settled with Amtico. You purchase it in strips and glue it down. Two years later and I'm very happy with it. There's not a scratch on it. Of course, if you're a purist and want to put down the real stuff this is not for you but this is a good alternative.

Old 20-11-2015, 14:40   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Amtico shown in the photo looks nice to me.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 14:44   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
My son-in-law is a builder and does not recommend bamboo for the reasons mentioned and more.

Regarding teak or teak and holly plywood. I checked prices a couple of places online. 1/4" ply with teak and holly veneer I found for $209/sheet, plain teak veneer 1/4" ply $129/sheet. So if you can add holly strips to teak ply for less that $80 in time and materials you save but I think it will work better to buy it already done.
Is 1/4 inch thick or strong enough to use as the sole of a boat if there is nothing solid supporting the panel? I am thinking over the bilge and engine compartment etc, where I would not want to risk cracking or breaking through. Or is the 1/4 inch panel intended to be laid on top of a lower level of plain ply?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 22:09   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Thanks for the tip about the bamboo. We are getting ready to redo our wood floors in our home, had heard nothing but good about it and would have probably put it in.
The floor in my Valiant is solid hardwood about a inch and a half, then Teak and Holly on top of that. The Veneer just looks too thin. Any ideas? I don't want ply and of course I don't want swelling and destruction of the wood.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 02:23   #37

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Thanks for the tip about the bamboo. We are getting ready to redo our wood floors in our home, had heard nothing but good about it and would have probably put it in.
The floor in my Valiant is solid hardwood about a inch and a half, then Teak and Holly on top of that. The Veneer just looks too thin. Any ideas? I don't want ply and of course I don't want swelling and destruction of the wood.
1.5" + Teak & Holly sounds more like ballast than flooring, no offense intended.
But 2" thick hardwood = 8lbs/sqft.

What specifically are you looking for ideas for? New flooring for your boat, or your home, & of what type(s)/materials?
Also, a price range, & what kind of colors you're looking for would be helpful also. And by colors, I mean; lighter toned, or darker? And just one color, or are you looking or something with built in accents, akin to Teak & Holly?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 06:15   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

MARGO!!!!! thereis a wood in mexico comparable with teakwood..is called parota or huanacaxtle wood. ipe is also good. beautiful woods andthere ar ecarpenters in mexico who can build awesomeness for less than half priceof new stuff shipped and dutied from usa.
my sole squeaks and groans under foot--my framing is rotting, being pine,. could this be your issue as well?? is there a carpenter in guyamas??
oh yes and whatever you do , stay away from ply wood which delaminates beautifullly down here.....
i bet you could get a better sole from the carpenter in guaymas or even mazatlan than from a shipped and chipped product sent from usa.
remember, duty will kill ye. yes you must pay duty on over 30 usd of goods sent and it is high. even with tip.
donot go there is you wanna save dough.
contact me if you have a problem, amiga....

ps. parota is gorgeous moderately hard wood, and is very easy care, as it is oily and does no tneed varnish or oiling ...... and when yer done i bet you will have a more gorgeous sole than anyone else on the water and for much less than you plan on spending the way you are going. use the resources of your area for best results. your boat is in fixit land.....and with a goggie and a cat, you NEED easy care......
tried th eclick together stuff on a friends boat in gom---lasted a week. not good and most slickery.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 08:55   #39

Boat: Newport 28 II

I used the lion seal product
Very happy with it
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 11:51   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
1.5" + Teak & Holly sounds more like ballast than flooring, no offense intended.
But 2" thick hardwood = 8lbs/sqft.

What specifically are you looking for ideas for? New flooring for your boat, or your home, & of what type(s)/materials?
Also, a price range, & what kind of colors you're looking for would be helpful also. And by colors, I mean; lighter toned, or darker? And just one color, or are you looking or something with built in accents, akin to Teak & Holly?
My wood boards are heavy, but I never worry about the sole flexing . Looking to replace the sole in areas where, after 40 years of abuse, the Teak and Holly is rotting away. This is what the good part of it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140319_201743.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	113526  
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 00:48   #41
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Flysci. So you made it to the west coast from the Caribbean. Hope it was a great trip.

I am a bit surprised that you have not found teak and holly ply anywhere on the west coast. Bet something pops up eventually.
Yes I did, Skipmac! My boat's now in Guaymas, Sonora.

And something did turn up. I found a place hear San Diego that had some on the shelf. The place is called Frost Hardwood. I'll be picking up a couple sheets the Monday after Thanksgiving. Yay! problem solved. Now on to the next one.

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 00:59   #42
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
My wood boards are heavy, but I never worry about the sole flexing . Looking to replace the sole in areas where, after 40 years of abuse, the Teak and Holly is rotting away. This is what the good part of it looks like.
Yes s/v Beth, that's what mine used to look like.

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 03:19   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
And something did turn up. I found a place hear San Diego that had some on the shelf. The place is called Frost Hardwood. I'll be picking up a couple sheets the Monday after Thanksgiving. Yay! problem solved.
Be sure to let us know how the project goes. Since I have this in my future I certainly want to benefit from your experience and save myself a lot of extra work and head scratching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
Now on to the next one.
And there's always a next one.

Tags
cabin, cabin sole