Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 05:44   #1

Boat: Valiant 40
Sooo Ready to get Back in the Water...

I've had my boat hauled in Urbanna VA for the past few months working on various things, living on her for the duration except for doing a boat delivery from the Canaries to St. Lucia in December. I have to say, living on a boat up on the hard in winter, even in southern VA, is a complete and total PITA. We hates it. I'm so ready to get back in the water.

The biggest job was painting the topsides. The previous paint job was just starting to fail in a few spots and it was clear that the longer I left repainting her the more arduous it would be. So, I bit the bullet and figured I would change her color in the process to flag blue.

I did pretty much all of the prep work and I now have a deep appreciation for why it costs so much to paint a boat. From the initial scrubdown through the sanding of the original paint and between four primer coats, to the fairing and taping and solvent washing I must have put 80 hours in. Decided to paint her with Awlcraft for repairability and ease of topcoating her down the line when the paint gets a bit tired.

I'm pretty happy with how she turned out:

Taking off what was left of the old paint sheen:

After two coats of high build primer and tons of sanding and fairing, she got three coats of 545:

Then three coats of Awlcraft 2000:

Adding a windvane, we drilled the holes then mounted the brackets and the vane after the topcoats were on:

When she got power washed at haulout, a nasty surprise came to light. The rudder skeg must have been damaged previous to my ownership and repaired. The glasswork was good, but the fairing was not. Much of the filler, some of which looked like bondo, came right off, so I ground it all down to the glass and started over. What a pain:

Sealed with 545, then faired and sealed again.

When it's warm enough she's getting black bottom paint to set off the blue topsides.

I'm stripping 20 years of varnish off the caprails now while I wait for it to warm up enough to put bottom paint on. It's taken me about 20 hours so far. I'm NOT going to varnish them again as it's just too much work, there is no way to protect it, and the maintenance topcoats each year are going to be a bear to apply along the outside under edge. I'm going to clean them and oil them and see how it fares for a year or two and if I don't like the result, will probably go with Cetol.

Then I have to fix my SSB, then find a replacement anemometer, and then...well, you get the idea. It's a boat.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 05:59   #2

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Sooo ready to get back in the water...

She is looking good.
Old 24-02-2014, 15:00   #3

Boat: CS36T

Beautiful
Old 24-02-2014, 15:05   #4

very nice!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 20:27   #5

Boat: Chrysler 22

One of my favorite shades of blue. Nice work!
Sea_Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 21:43   #6

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Sooo ready to get back in the water...

Fine job. She's a real looker. Hope to see her, "Out there.!"
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 04:36   #7

Thanks. I think she is going to look markedly less tubby in her new suit than she did before. Bob Perry said that Valiants look best with the whale stripe. It may accentuate the sheer but it interrupts the rest of the lines IMHO. What does he know anyway.

Looks like the weather is not going to cooperate with the getting the bottom done so now it's time to install as many of the new portlights I got for her as I can while she's still on stilts and next to the shop. I have been dreading this job for some time, as the old port flanges, inside and out, appear to be bedded with 5200. Time to pull out the piano wire and get to it with gritted teeth.
Old 25-02-2014, 18:02   #8

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Thanks. I think she is going to look markedly less tubby in her new suit than she did before. Bob Perry said that Valiants look best with the whale stripe. It may accentuate the sheer but it interrupts the rest of the lines IMHO. What does he know anyway.

Looks like the weather is not going to cooperate with the getting the bottom done so now it's time to install as many of the new portlights I got for her as I can while she's still on stilts and next to the shop. I have been dreading this job for some time, as the old port flanges, inside and out, appear to be bedded with 5200. Time to pull out the piano wire and get to it with gritted teeth.
At least you have the plan, "and then it happened!" I hope all goes well. I fear the portlights also. Seems to be a lot of horror stories around those things and 5200. Chin up and persevere...

lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 16:47   #9

I admire your boat every time I'm in the yard, working on my boat. I hope I'm around when you launch her!
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 06:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcolman View Post
I admire your boat every time I'm in the yard, working on my boat. I hope I'm around when you launch her!
Thanks! I'm in Annapolis most weekends. While Urbanna is nice, it's quaintness wore off after about two weeks and now I make the trip north whenever I can for some socializing. Stop in and say hi if you're around Mon-Thurs any week.

Started work on the ports this morning. The old Bomars are leaking at the gaskets and the bedding, the paint is coming off on the outside, and the acrylic is clouded. I decided if I was going to pull them I might as well replace them instead of refurbishing them. Getting them out is going to be a serious b!tch as they appear to be bedded with 5200 inside and out. Started going at the inside flange/ring with a putty knife and mallet after discovering there is not enough space for the blade of the multi-tool. Yet.

The first victim:

And the new replacement. Shiny, about 30 lbs. a piece, and about 1.5" wider:

I have 9 of these to do. Good times. I just heard a horror story about another Valiant owner who finally gave up trying to get the old ports out in one piece and just cut them up with a sawzall. I have mine at the ready should it come to that.
Old 27-02-2014, 06:48   #11

I guess when you get done with that it will be time to sell it.

Let me know.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 06:55   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Started work on the ports this morning. The old Bomars are leaking at the gaskets and the bedding, the paint is coming off on the outside, and the acrylic is clouded. I decided if I was going to pull them I might as well replace them instead of refurbishing them. Getting them out is going to be a serious b!tch as they appear to be bedded with 5200 inside and out. Started going at the inside flange/ring with a putty knife and mallet after discovering there is not enough space for the blade of the multi-tool. Yet.
I replaced all the ports on our previous boat, going from crappy acrylic ones to those beautiful SS New Found Metals you have. After thinking about the project for a long time we decided the best thing was to literally rip out all the old ports, re-glass the cabin holes, and then cut new holes for the replacement ports. It was a big job, but turned out amazingly well. In the end, I think it was easier than trying to fit the new ports into the old holes.

... of course, we then sold the boat.
Old 27-02-2014, 07:49   #13

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Nice looking boat. The new shiny parts will look pretty good too.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 08:02   #14

Boat: beneteau OC 352

nice job
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 08:23   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Soooooojeeee !!!!!

She looks fantastic man!

Give us the one sentence synopsis of your topcoat procedure method de jeur.... ignoring everything else...

Thank god you found the junk on your skeg and not "elsewhere"....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water