Well while pondering the issue of whether to go over the old formica or pull it off over a cup of coffee one morning, I gave a piece of the old a yank. Pop! Twenty minutes later I had bare cabin
walls. So the very issue that caused it to crack in the first place resurfaced to make my life easier. Sanded down the old adhesive
in short order and started making templates with luan strips and a glue gun:
Meanwhile, had finished the epoxy
filling and went to work cutting out the wider dimensions and spigot cutouts. A bit of a b!tch with the cabin sides being 1.5" thick, but got there. Here's a finished cutout, minus epoxy
sealing around the bare wood:
I have decided through this process that this is the most useful tool I own. I carry it in my pocket and use it constantly. Nothing like having a 4" flexible razor blade for cleaning
up surfaces, cutting plastic sheeting, trimming, scraping, etc:
Bonus time. I was casually rooting around in the yard's heap of discarded equipment
in one of the bays and happened upon two dusty old broken Cruiseairs. 30 minutes later I had one functioning Cruiseair and one pile of junk. Woot!
Formica got glued up yesterday and went uneventfully. Need to route
out the port light openings in it and then I can start installation
. The end is in sight...
Meanwhile, I spotted something suspicious where my hull
meets my keel
amidships, right in front of a couple of small spots that need repair.
Hmmm, perfectly circular. I know where this is going. I pull out my trusty box cutter
and POP. Yet another bad repair job uncovered.