Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2015, 19:01   #31

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Some Recent Thermal Images from Surveys

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I can't at the moment recall where the thread is, but from what I understand, a lot of companies which insure larger (Mega/Gucci) yachts, are requiring that a good bit of the ship's electrical systems are gone over with these. Since, because they see heat, they're useful to spot electrical components & systems which are most likely to start fires. A handy thing, without question.
Plus, they're used in evaluating engines, in a lot of aspects.

Some insurance companies are starting to require the 1 million dollar or more vessels to have an IR electrical survey done. Seems smart to me.

Matt
Old 14-06-2015, 18:32   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

On a large complicated boat that would be one huge project. They would have to test every circuit. while it is loaded and every connection in those circuits. Otherwise you could just be looking at a panel with no loads applied. Maybe they just insist on high current circuits be tested?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 19:09   #33

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There are relatively inexpensive IR devices which attach to smart phones and such. I doubt they perform like a $20K FLIR, but might be useful for boat troubleshooting. Anyone have experience with these?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 06:37   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Some insurance companies are starting to require the 1 million dollar or more vessels to have an IR electrical survey done. Seems smart to me.

Matt
I had spoken to one of these insurance companies that wanted to subcontract me for these inspections. I required them to sign my own work agreement for each job contracted. They did not want to, and in fact wanted me to accept complete liability without any protection for myself or my company. So I declined.. quickly and completely. Unbelievable they would even make a B.S. offer like that! Honestly, I get that work on my own. I really do not need the insurance companies.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 06:40   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
There are relatively inexpensive IR devices which attach to smart phones and such. I doubt they perform like a $20K FLIR, but might be useful for boat troubleshooting. Anyone have experience with these?
The phone IR camera are very basic with a low temperature range and low definition quality. Good for some fiberglass, but useless on engines, generators, and high voltage circuits. When high heat is seen in a low temperature range IR camera it will just turn the screen white. So they are really toys for basic fun.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 13:59   #36

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuenosAzules View Post
The phone IR camera are very basic with a low temperature range and low definition quality. Good for some fiberglass, but useless on engines, generators, and high voltage circuits. When high heat is seen in a low temperature range IR camera it will just turn the screen white. So they are really toys for basic fun.
I suspected their quality would not be so great. The ones I looked at were about $300...too much for a toy if not useful for inspecting my own boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 17:25   #37

Boat: Sabre 28

The new version of the FLIR One has 4x the resolution of the original version and the MSX blending is supposed to help enhance resolution of the image.

Looking at the live video on this:

It seems to do pretty well in normal temp ranges. I think max temp on the FLIR one is 250 degrees. If all is well on my engine I don't see about 200 on it so it may still be useful there.

I'm really interested in it for seeing core issues. I think I have a small issue on my cockpit floor and am wondering if the FLIR One would be useful in seeing the relative size of that?

Also wondering if it could be useful for pinpointing leaks above a fiberglass liner in the cabin?

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 14:10   #38

Boat: Sabre 28

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1435698313.340284.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	104450

I am trying out the new version of the FLIR One. Pretty cool tool. You take the pictures real time and then use another app later on to add the temp spot points. The attached is a test of my heat exchanger as the engine is warming up.

Shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
images, survey