Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2018, 13:31   #1

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK
Solar Vent that threads into Dorade?

Does anyone know if they make a solar fan that will thread into a dorade box? I typically have the threaded caps installed on my dorades but think it would be really neat if i installed a solar vent to keep the boat fresh while I was away. I think it would be better than just the cowls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171006_100357.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	179313  
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 15:01   #2

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Re: Solar Vent that threads into Dorade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Does anyone know if they make a solar fan that will thread into a dorade box? I typically have the threaded caps installed on my dorades but think it would be really neat if i installed a solar vent to keep the boat fresh while I was away. I think it would be better than just the cowls.

Don’t think they would do much good. The air would just go out (or in) the water exits.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 17:19   #3

I didn't think of that. Maybe could block them off with something since it would only be used while away, then unscrewed and put away.
Old 20-10-2018, 18:38   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I've got a solar vent installed in the deck above the toilet/shower hoping it will reduce the humidity.

Boat Exhaust Fan Caravan Solar Air Vent Deck Ventilator W/ Battery Switch Combo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caravan-Boa...-/132652249792

The inlet is a little bit bigger than the diameter of a normal dorade "funnel" ventilator.

I worried that water would come into the boat if the deck was awash so I fitted a screw-on inspection type cap on the inside of the deck over the vent inlet. I realize I will have to fit a f/g cover over the solar panel to stop the fan working when not required.

Incidentally I made up some f/g hatch covers to protect the acrylic hatches from u/v damage, give privacy and to stop the yacht heating up like a hothouse in the tropics.

I considered canvas covers but when I looked at the cost and the life expectancy (guaranteed for one year) I thought f/g was a better option. (I have ss latches in the mail so that I can secure them in a gale)

Clive
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1505.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	179332  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 19:07   #5

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40

I have a solar fan that screws into the dorade box threads on my Passport. It works great despite any air flow through the drain holes. I’ve been looking for a source to buy several more, and I haven’t been successful.
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 20:16   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningFish View Post
I have a solar fan that screws into the dorade box threads on my Passport. It works great despite any air flow through the drain holes. I’ve been looking for a source to buy several more, and I haven’t been successful.
Could you post a phot of this fan, maybe as a group we can search it out if we see one.
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 20:20   #7

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

I've two Nicro solar-powered ventilation fans, made by Marinco.

http://www.marinco.com/en/products/v...olar/day-night

At dock, I often place one, in withdraw air mode, over my spurling pipe to move air in the anchor locker/sail bin.

In other situations, I unscrew two cowls from the dorades, one to port and one to starbd, and screw in one fan in push mode and the other in extract mode.

I don't consider the water drains of the dorade boxes a signficant matter. If it were, the cowl vents wouldn't work either :-)
Old 20-10-2018, 20:28   #8

Maybe if you fit one of these under your dorade ventilator inlet it would be the way to go?

https://www.vetus.com/en/ventilation...-2-speeds.html

Clive
Old 20-10-2018, 21:46   #9

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post

Day/Night | Marinco

At dock, I often place one, in withdraw air mode, over my spurling pipe to move air in the anchor locker/sail bin.

In other situations, I unscrew two cowls from the dorades, one to port and one to starbd, and screw in one fan in push mode and the other in extract mode.

I don't consider the water drains of the dorade boxes a signficant matter. If it were, the cowl vents wouldn't work either :-)
I too have these, three actually and when they work they work well, but my experience has been that longevity is not their long suit and at A$300.00 each I will be looking for an alternative next time one fails.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 22:37   #10

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I too have these, three actually and when they work they work well, but my experience has been that longevity is not their long suit and at A$300.00 each I will be looking for an alternative next time one fails.
In your experience, Rob, what fails?

I've replaced the batteries (NiMH batteries, which I buy from Jaycar) a time or three over the past dozen or more years, but the rest is still working.
Old 20-10-2018, 22:58   #11

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
Could you post a phot of this fan, maybe as a group we can search it out if we see one.
I’ll be happy to post a photo but it’ll be a couple weeks until I’m at the boat again. Regarding longevity, mine has finally failed (plastic battery housing brittle and broke) and it’s at least 10 years old, possibly much more.
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 23:20   #12

Maybe?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Temp vetus.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	179335  
Old 21-10-2018, 06:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningFish View Post
Yes. Definitely post some pictures so we can try to figure it out!
Old 21-10-2018, 06:13   #14

What's F/G? Scratch that. Fiberglass. Ugh!:-)
Old 21-10-2018, 06:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post

Day/Night | Marinco

I don't consider the water drains of the dorade boxes a significant matter. If it were, the cowl vents wouldn't work either :-)
So you're saying that the threaded portion of the bottom of your fan threads right in to where your cowl would normally go? If that's the case, I'll call them tomorrow and buy two. Leaving the boat to turn into a hot wet oven for a week at at a time is good for nothing, and I would feel a lot safer running a couple of these instead of the A/C while away. Thanks!

Tags
solar