Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 09:48   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Solar vent installation

After seeing the results on another boat I decided to install a couple of solar vents on my boat. Thought it would be an easy project until I started looking for the right spot.

Initially planned to replace a couple of dorades with the solar vents but when I checked dimensions discovered the dorade boxes were a few inches narrower than the vent fan. So there went the easy solution.

So where?

The next easiest would be to cut a round hole in a couple of the deck hatches but I'm not sure that's a great idea.

Next idea, remove a dorade box and install a vent in the existing hole. Problem with that is it will leave a dozen screw holes and an off color spot on the deck where the original gel coat was covered.

Last option is to cut holes in the deck but I'm really not too thrilled about that idea.

So leaning towards the hole in hatch plexy but open to ideas and comments.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Solar vent installation

Another idea that I might implement possibly in addition to a solar vent or two, is to install a fan inside the existing holes.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:47   #3

Boat: Island Packet 38

My hatches were old and you couldn’t see clearly through them, not to mention that they were almost always covered with canvas anyway, so I went that route and installed 2. Great to have some air movement when it’s raining or you’re away from the boat and have everything shut.
JKMilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:06   #4

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Two were installed on CBREEZE when I bought her 13 years back in smaller Lewmar hatches (head and aft berth). One in the head still spinning away (when sun shines), berth one would appear to have given up the ghost. I think hatch is a good location and is a somewhat reversible option with a lense replacemen.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 13:26   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

They are great for pulling a steady stream of air through the boat but move a very small amount of air. They also fail on a regular basis. Three to four year lifespan is my experience. I would not interfere with your existing dorades, they are invaluable.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 13:43   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I would not interfere with your existing dorades, they are invaluable.
Agree with that 100%. The solar vents would be good when the boat's closed up for long periods but at sea in wet, nasty weather without dorades you're living in a sweat box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
They are great for pulling a steady stream of air through the boat but move a very small amount of air. They also fail on a regular basis. Three to four year lifespan is my experience.
They don't move much air but it seems a little bit can help a lot. My son-in-law was having a really bad problem with condensation in the cabin of his 33' power boat. I suggested a solar vent as a possible fix. He installed one 4" Marinco and it completely eliminated the problem. I was somewhat surprised at how well it worked and this is what convinced me to get one. Guess I let him be the guinea pig.

I do read lots and lots of bad reviews about the units failing but the Marinco gets a lot better reviews than the Nicro. Common failure mode seems to be the cheap batteries which I could easily replace and upgrade. Marinco also you can also buy a complete rebuild kit.
Old 08-04-2018, 13:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
I think hatch is a good location and is a somewhat reversible option with a lense replacemen.
That had occurred to me as well although after replacing the plexi in my port lights I learned what a nit picky, very messy job that is and not anxious to repeat it if I don't have to.
Old 08-04-2018, 14:00   #8

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I do read lots and lots of bad reviews about the units failing but the Marinco gets a lot better reviews than the Nicro. Common failure mode seems to be the cheap batteries which I could easily replace and upgrade. Marinco also you can also buy a complete rebuild kit.
Odd, I think they are the same company. Boat & Marine Ventilation System | Marinco

I have four: three in use and a spare. The batteries in my old units are standard C cell rechargeable available almost anywhere, a little sewing machine oil fixes the motor noise and frees a stuck shaft, the o-ring seals on the screws and the solar cell come from the hardware store, and one phone call and Marinco/Nicro sent me two new exhaust fans for free to replace my broken ones as we were traveling down the ICW in January. Except for the purchase price, what's not to like...
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, solar