Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-05-2015, 10:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: solar blocking window film?

We use 'V-Kool' it comes in different grades of tint and different UV ratings as well. Its pretty pricey but really effective.

Old 22-05-2015, 11:08   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Just thinking outside the box here Canibul, but I am wondering if Solar Panels, mounted slightly above the cabin, could help cool the cabin?
I have 6 kwatts of solar on my house. It seems to make a pretty big difference in summer, and they are mounted on the roof with 3 inches under them in ventilation.
I don't know if you would notice it on board, but it could help.

Old 22-05-2015, 14:20   #18

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Just a word of caution.

These films have little, if any, in the way of certification by independent authorities. In fact, I am not aware of any National Standard regarding testing and approval of films as to their actual performance. The suppliers can make claims that are unsupported by fact.

If it sounds too good...
Old 23-05-2015, 06:18   #19

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Pretty sure the stuff you want is called oneway also by 3M.
Used a lot here printed with advertising and put on bus windows.Quite expensive down this way but might be more realistic for you
I couldn't find anything called "oneway" by 3M. But using those search terms, I found a site that sells 3M products AND a "one-way" product called SOLYX One Way Perforated Film, which is exactly what you describe; the stuff they use on busses.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!
Old 23-05-2015, 07:55   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Speaking of certifications and claims...as with any claims about a product, the ones made by reputable manufacturers will be easily confirmed by any testing. Point in case, I stuck a small solar panel under a glass sunroof (i.e. inside a car) to keep up a battery during layups. Nope. There's a layer of 3M Crystalline on that glass, and the solar panel shows *zero* output when looking up at the noon sun through it.
Move it to an untreated side window, and the panel puts out.
There are all sorts of UV and IR claims, and different products. And 3M's Crystalline is not the only product designed as a "99%+" block, I recall at least two other makers have similar. With the Crystalline, there's also a palpable reduction in heat, even through a "heat blocking" glass sunroof. So at least some of these products do meet their claims, and do cut the heat coming through the glazing.
Of course if you are sailing someplace where there's "winter" and you might actually want some heat...or you've been infested with cats that prefer to nap in the sunny spot...none of them might be the right choice.(G)
The perforated vinyl is designed to allow inkjet printing on a "white" plastic for vehicle wraps and business windows. Any "tinting" that it causes is just collateral damage, it was intended to allow big signs that could still be seen through--at least, from the darker inside looking out.
Old 23-05-2015, 08:24   #21

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger

Would any of these products help to stop small leaks from around the ports or prevent a problem from getting any worse with older installations? At some stage we shall have to 'bite the bullet' and replace them all ... expensive 15 ports in all! If/when we do, what are the solutions for heat control with new glass? Thanks, John
Old 23-05-2015, 10:01   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

John-
You can apply beeswax or caulking or window putty or duct tape to discourage a leak for a while, until something shifts and it leaks again. But the only way to really stop a leaking portlight? Is to remove it, completely. Clean and rebed it, using the proper gaskets or sealants and reassembly. If you are really going to replace GLASS, there are also all sorts of "energy coated" glass. The trick would be finding a supplier and price that you like. But if you already have glass, it probably will be much cheaper to simply apply a window film to block IR. And just as effective.
Old 24-05-2015, 08:16   #23

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger

Many thanks for that - as a beekeeper, I like the idea of using beeswax! Do you just melt neat beeswax and drip into the damaged 'frame' area?

We have been using silicone thus far which does a tolerable job. However,
we make our own simple beeswax polish to preserve the teak grab rails etc. Previous owners have sanded over the years so now we must look after what's left. John
Old 24-05-2015, 09:22   #24

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Carnauba wax applied and let to dry will block a tremendous amount of heat. It will come off with any contact so not for ports that will be touched. I use it for my hatches and if I throw line or something on top of them by mistake its easy to just put some more wax on. At the end of summer I wipe the wax off. I get more light in the winter and the hatches are always protected with a coat of wax
Old 24-05-2015, 10:14   #25
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

So where does the solar blocking film fit in with beeswax? I'm confused.
Old 24-05-2015, 13:13   #26

I forgot to add that if you use wax on your hatches be very careful that you don't step on them or kneel on them especially in wet conditions. One time during a storm I knelt on my forward hatch and then was kneeling on the deck and it was like an ice rink
Old 24-05-2015, 13:37   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wax as a sealant around the edges of a leaking hatch, yes.

Watch ON a hatch? No, no no, never do that. Almost all waxes have a petroleum based solvent in them. That will eventually attack your plastic glazing and cause it to craze, destroying the hatch.

If you are SURE your wax is water-based and contains no petrochemicals...which unadulterated beeswax might be...that's very different from anything you'd normally find in a box or can on the shelf.
Old 24-05-2015, 13:47   #28

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

You might try checking with a car window tint business. Should be some on tropical islands. If using one of the films with metal in it be sure to follow installation instructions carefully. Most need to be caulked after throughly dry to prevent corrosion in a marine atmosphere.
Old 25-05-2015, 04:17   #29
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Beeswax melts at 145 degrees F. If you put it on a window here, it wouldn't last long enough for you to ever know if it worked or not for the leaks. Bad advice.
Old 10-06-2015, 15:18   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Wax as a sealant around the edges of a leaking hatch, yes.

Watch ON a hatch? No, no no, never do that. Almost all waxes have a petroleum based solvent in them. That will eventually attack your plastic glazing and cause it to craze, destroying the hatch.

If you are SURE your wax is water-based and contains no petrochemicals...which unadulterated beeswax might be...that's very different from anything you'd normally find in a box or can on the shelf.
I did a google search and most recommend protecting plexiglass with wax so long as it doesn't have cleaner in it. It seemed to protect mine. Do you have any technical data to show otherwise? I also found not to use windex or alcohol on plexiglass it causes crazing.

Tags
solar, wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: