Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2012, 11:45   #61

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE
Re: Soft Dodger or Hard Dodger - Pros / Cons

The deck turned out to be even more solid than I thought it would be. It has 5/8" ply sandwiched between two polyester skins. Total thickness is more than 1" over the cabin and 1 1/2" at the entrance.

I did have to deal with a headliner. After I located the bolt holes, by drilling through the mounting rails, deck and headliner, I went inside and used an 1 1/2" hole saw to make access holes for each bolt. There is about 1" clearance between the underside of the deck and the top of the headliner.

I used epoxy to laminate stringers that I had shaped and cut to fit the inside of the dodger and the slope of the cabin. And yes, the bolting is well calked.

With 3 to 5" of rain forecast for this weekend, I will be able to double check my work.

FWIW: I so that I can do periodic inspections, I have made removable covers, not yet installed, to cover the holes I made in the headliner.
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger