Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2012, 16:34   #46

Boat: 1979 Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Re: Soft Deck, How Bad Is Bad ?

Wow I like how this thread has evolved.

I would not expect a seller to allow me to drill holes or the like in their deck. But I would hope with a good survey we good bring the cost down some for the needed repairs
sunblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 08:12   #47

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblock View Post
Any boat I make an offer on I will get a survey first, I just dont want to waste money on a survey if a problem like that is bigger than I am realizing.
Mmmm, this bad is bad.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 10:37   #48

Boat: 1979 Gulfstar 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Mmmm, this bad is bad.
yeah, thats what I want to avoid wow.
sunblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:24   #49
Marine Service Provider

The thing I am curious about before attempting to replace a sizable portion of deck core is (plywood): The deck to hull connection and the otherside connection. It seems this would be very important. I have no good drawings of this for my boat. any ideas?
chebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:29   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebba View Post
The thing I am curious about before attempting to replace a sizable portion of deck core is (plywood): The deck to hull connection and the otherside connection. It seems this would be very important. I have no good drawings of this for my boat. any ideas?
Maybe start with what boat you have?

If by "the deck to hull connection" you mean the where the hull is joined to the deck then this area does not usually involve any core. There are a number of ways the hull and deck are joined.

Most common, a lip on the deck meets a lip on the hull. These matching lips could turn in or out. Some kind of caulk or adhesive is filled between the two lips and they are joined with screws (not so good) or bolts (better). Some might further have a layer of fiberglass over.

Unless you are cutting open the deck to remove rotten core very close to the hull to deck joint this area will probably not be a concern. BUT, will totally depend on your boat.

Not sure what you mean by "otherside connection". Other side of what? Are you referring to the inner and outer fiberglass skins connecting to a new core?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:36   #51
Marine Service Provider

Sorry for the mal lingo. I meant where the deck joins to the coach top. I guess I want to make sure that This repair has the structural strength the original had. thanks for the answer. My boat has a gunwale of about 6 inches. I have looked at the hull deck connection diagram of a 33 Hans Christian and the Westsail. I do not see anything on the inside of my boat that is holding up the deck.
chebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:52   #52

Boat: other people's boats

I'd be hugely worried about a soft spot near high load areas, like the windlass, and up in the bow near the forestay. there's a bunch of stress up there and you don't want any structural weakness.
who_cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:33   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebba View Post
Sorry for the mal lingo. I meant where the deck joins to the coach top. I guess I want to make sure that This repair has the structural strength the original had. thanks for the answer. My boat has a gunwale of about 6 inches. I have looked at the hull deck connection diagram of a 33 Hans Christian and the Westsail. I do not see anything on the inside of my boat that is holding up the deck.
I'm sorry but I'm very confused. You talk about the gunwales and the hull deck joint which is the outside edge of the boat but also coach top (you mean the raised area in the middle of the deck that is the higher ceiling area inside the cabin?). Which is it that concerns you?

What holds up the deck are two things. The deck is attached to the hull all the way around the boat so that supports it from the side. Then inside the boat there are bulkheads (walls) between the cabins that also support the deck and cabin top. These bulkheads will be fiberglassed to the hull of the boat on the sides and to the deck and cabin top overhead.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:04   #54

The perfect is the enemy of the good (enough).

I agree that a 3'x3' obviously soft area means "run away". You have to ask why the owner didn't fix it and what else is lurking.

But with less serious deck problems, a boat that can hold together for 40 years can probably hold together for 50 years - especially with a better owner. How "perfect" a deck do you need to be happy?

For smaller areas, I've seen plenty of apparently successful repairs with stuff like this:

Wet Wood Epoxy

Is it better to "do it right" and cut open the deck? - sure. But how much better?
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck