Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:22   #1

Boat: Mirage 32
Soda Blasting Bottom Paint Off the Hull

I have a 32' fiberglass fin keel sailboat. I'd like to strip off the bottom paint
(probably 25 years worth) and I'm hearing a lot about soda blasting. I'd like to try it myself, you can buy a DYS soda blaster for around $650.00. Anybody try it? Any suggestions on the best way to strip a hull appreciated.

GC
Gerry Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:35   #2

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Soda Blasting bottom paint off the hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Connolly View Post
I have a 32' fiberglass fin keel sailboat. I'd like to strip off the bottom paint
(probably 25 years worth) and I'm hearing a lot about soda blasting. I'd like to try it myself, you can buy a DYS soda blaster for around $650.00. Anybody try it? Any suggestions on the best way to strip a hull appreciated.

GC
If money is an issue...I did a friends 42 catalina and my 40 foot trawler with 4 inch grinder and 24 grit sanding discs...goes pretty fast...just be fast and light with that low of a grit...(nothing some filler doesn't cure before barrier coating)
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:42   #3

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Soda Blasting bottom paint off the hull

I had it done professionally last fall. I'm generally happy with the results, although they took off most of the interprotect barrier coat which I wanted to leave intact. There is no sign of any damage to the gelcoat, though. They covered up all the thruhulls to to make sure no blasting dust got inside the boat.

Another complication is safe containment and disposal of the blasting dust (a mixture of soda and toxic bottom paint.) The boatyard moved the boat to a hard asphalt surface covered with plastic and tented the bottom to contain everything, and then disposed of the waste.

You should plan to wash the bottom afterwards with a vinegar solution to neutralize the soda before applying paint.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Soda Blasting Bottom Paint Off the Hull

Looking at the same thing myself.

Roughly, what does it cost to have a 44'er done?

Ballpark?

I'm thinking $2,500.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:22   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Connolly View Post
. . . I'd like to try it myself, you can buy a DYS soda blaster for around $650.00. . . GC
Does that $650 include a very large air compressor set up with water removal filtration? The various "blasters" are only half or even a fraction of the cost of the "other" stuff you have to have. And in the USA, the "other stuff" includes an approved retention and capture enclosure for the boat and blasting material used.

Sand -(silica) has been effectively banned in the USA so the only materials you can use for "blasting" are non-silica materials like "Black Beauty", various "sodas" and "beads" and even dry ice. And they are not cheap.

Having your "blasting" done by a properly equipped boat yard is relatively inexpensive and with a "extra" of $20 or so to the guy doing the "blasting" you will get a careful and thorough job.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:42   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

There are a number of threads on this subject on this forum. My opinion, as a proffessional who has done countless bottoms, is that an 8" 36 grit softpad is the only effective, economical answer for many reasons.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:54   #7

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Minaret..can you please elaborate on the nature of a 36 grit softpad and the many reasons for which it is the best answer to this task. I am not sure what a "softpad" is.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 13:08   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Minaret..can you please elaborate on the nature of a 36 grit softpad and the many reasons for which it is the best answer to this task. I am not sure what a "softpad" is.

Read this thread and then ask any questions you may have.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-71361.html
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 14:55   #9

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Minaret is on the money...I used my tool and my method...but he has a better setup if you can hold that 7incher for that long. Here's my last job...I did most of the sanding...buddy AND I both did the Interprotect 2000 application.

Anyone worried about the gel coat doesn't get it...especially for older boats...only if it's vinylester is it woth it's weight staying on the boat.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:07   #10

Dude I will fly up there from fla, and grind it off for 650.00 bucks, we do a 4o ft in 1 day here in the south,hire someone and then your not stuck with a soda blaster that will take 3 days and lots and lots and lots of soda,and then you cant even get rid of it on e-bay,and remember 2013 is comming so get your eco friendly bottom paint on now, you wont be able to purchase any metal or biocide paints in 3 years from now, then you will need to peel the bottom again,.... I know this I sell Bottom paint .
WORLD WIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 20:15   #11

Dude grind it off, shouldnt take more than a solid day.or two. Or just scuff it and paint it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WORLD WIDE
Dude I will fly up there from fla, and grind it off for 650.00 bucks, we do a 4o ft in 1 day here in the south,hire someone and then your not stuck with a soda blaster that will take 3 days and lots and lots and lots of soda,and then you cant even get rid of it on e-bay,and remember 2013 is comming so get your eco friendly bottom paint on now, you wont be able to purchase any metal or biocide paints in 3 years from now, then you will need to peel the bottom again,.... I know this I sell Bottom paint .
Who told you I wont be able to,buy biocidal bottom paint? If tjat ends up true im going to straight poison my paint with arsenic or something just to spite these beuracrats.
clifflindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:14   #12

look at sr 626 guidelines for manufacturers or just your interlux rep, it all started in washington state and is moving south and east, here is a link. Biofouling: It's Not Just Barnacles Anymore
look at e-paint it is world wide requirement for the U.S.C.G. IT IS THE LAW FROM THE CAPITAL. it all begins in 2013 and will be signed into law country wide by 2015 so go to my site to purchase any eco friendly marine product, ECO Marine Products its my business to know.
WORLD WIDE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, hull paint, paint