Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2014, 18:39   #1

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
So I need to replace my teak deck....

Alrighty CF, im tempting the wrath of the forumns here.

I got a quote today to refit my grand soleil 46.3 teak decks with 1/2" teak for 30k from world surface ft lauderdale fl. The deck doesnt leak now because it was originally glued down but the caulk is very raised and the teak is coming up in places....

What so you all think..... change the look of this classic lined boat with gelcoat and non skid or forever battle with maintenance of the teak.... but enjoy its beauty every day...

I cant decide.... my wife wants the teak... im not convinced. ...

I wanted synthetic teak.. but it seems no installer will recommended it and says it will always bubble

Im not really down digging into our crusing kitty for 30k
Sent from my SM-T700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 18:51   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: So i need to replace my teak deck....

Get a better quote, couple of friends replace the whole teak from a Thai company for around 18000$$ in a dufour 48 , take close to 3 months, they get the teak in precut panels from a company in thailand, they made paterns from the deck with a acrilic transparent plastic, send it to there and receive the whole deck in 3 big boxes assembled and ready to be glued, faster and cheaper, and is real teak, it take 3 full days to make the paterns perfect, no mistakes since you get the teak exactly as the paterns, they glue the panels with a special adhesive and primer from Bostik, the only place they use screws is in the edges between panels.

Or get rid off the teak and nonskid the whole thing but my 2 cents the boat looks better with the teak and the resale value could be nice to, after all some boats without teak looks horrible.

Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 18:53   #3

Re: So i need to replace my teak deck....

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Get a better quote, couple of friends replace the whole teak from a Thai company for around 18000$$ in a dufour 48 , take close to 3 months, they get the teak in precut panels from a company in thailand, they made paterns from the deck with a acrilic transparent plastic, send it to there and receive the whole deck in 3 big boxes assembled and ready to be glued, faster and cheaper, and is real teak, it take 3 full days to make the paterns perfect, no mistakes since you get the teak exactly as the paterns, they glue the panels with a special adhesive and primer from Bostik, the only place they use screws is in the edges between panels.

Or get rid off the teak and nonskid the whole thing but my 2 cents the boat looks better with the teak and the resale value could be nice to, after all some boats without teak looks horrible.

Cheers.
Thanks neil,

Do you know which thai company they used?

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 19-11-2014, 18:59   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: So I need to replace my teak deck....

No idea the company but i can ask tomorrow, the guys are still hanging around here doing final small projects in the boat...

I ask tomorrow if they want to tell me the company name,or some info.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 19:04   #5

Thanks!

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 19-11-2014, 21:02   #6

I have a friend with a beautiful schooner that did just that, he replaced his teak deck with plywood and a non-skid coating. It's still one of the most beautiful boats I've ever seen, and it's lighter and more responsive by far. And much safer moving about on deck under sail.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 09:10   #7

the under deck needs to be re sealed before the teak goes down. the kits that are pre cut are around 30 K plus labor so you have a good price
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 09:19   #8

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
I have a friend with a beautiful schooner that did just that, he replaced his teak deck with plywood and a non-skid coating. It's still one of the most beautiful boats I've ever seen, and it's lighter and more responsive by far. And much safer moving about on deck under sail.
IMHO, raw teak is the highest performing no-skid function on the planet.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 09:28   #9

Possible to just repair and recaulk what you have? Teak is nice non skid, but your boat will be great with just gel coat and non skid. 30K is a lot of money and with boats, often the work done isn't as nice as you envisioned.... how will you feel if you spend 30k and that teak starts coming up in places in a year or two?
The other issue is whether the new teak is as good as the old. Some of the teak I've seen recently doesn't seem the same as it was 20 years ago. This seems to be what happens as wood is depleted... it happened with fir construction wood, and cedar. Those woods you buy today are substantially different than they used to be. Why? because they are cutting many more small immature trees. The Western Red Cedar cut from these young trees doesn't have near as much oil in it and it rots rather quickly. The old stuff would last 50 years in the ground in the wet Pac NW. There are still cedar fenceposts up here that were there when I was a child... in the wet ground.
I'm just pointing out another thought... how will you know what the teak you are getting is and how the quality of the work will be? It's always a risk..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 09:32   #10

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

I'd just repair the parts that are coming up, unless you're anxious to spend $30k. Raised caulk doesn't hurt anything. If that bothers you, it can be easily trimmed with a sharp chisel.

As for an $18,000 deck from Thailand, that doesn't include making patterns or installing it. Import duties?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 09:34   #11

Boat: Seapiper 35

Faced with the same problem. I decided to replace the teak which I loved. I am glad its gone. See Passport 40 – S/V Grendel | Passport 40 – Sailing Vessel Grendel the end of the blog.
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 09:56   #12

Boat: Hudson 50

I'm going through a similar process with my teak deck. I got a quote of $35K to replace it but a marine carpenter friend told me that since most of the teak is still in pretty good shape it would be better to repair and re-caulk my existing deck instead of replace it. I decided to tackle the job myself and I'm refastening and re-caulking it section by section. (I'm also repairing some soft spots in the core as well).
If your teak is in reasonable shape why not get a price to refasten the teak and re-caulk it? The TDS caulking is great to work with. Dries to the touch in just one hour although I wouldn't walk on it for a couple of days.
Oceandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 09:57   #13

Boat: cheoy lee 43 pilothouse

that is always a very tuff call, teak or gelcoat...!?
personnaly, i removed the teak on my cheoy lee,and just kept some in cockpit area.
now i'm in trinidad trying to source teak to do it...availability is hard,quality is very variable, price is high and going up...

so decide on a gelcoat compromise...will do a gelcoat deck and anti-slip with a gelcoat teak deck faux-finish...easy to do (3m fineline tape gallore!), cheaper , last long.

i've tested it on my dinghy floor before...by rolling the gelcoat, then lay fineline tape for seams,then rolled anti-slip coat, remove fineline tape.
the faux-finish approach covers all irregularities, and you look like a pro!

i've got two masts with a awlgrip wood faux-finish, look better than wood! ....but wood feel way better!!!!
oceane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 10:04   #14

I question whether teak decks on older, used boats increases the resale value, regardless of their condition. I think the average guy looking to move up is well aware of the "inevitable" maintenance expense of teak decks and tries to avoid them. If he has unlimited funds, he'd buy a new boat. A functional, low maintenance deck is a substantial consideration when putting together your maintenance budget. Might even mean a larger boat. It's true that a cored deck may become compromised due to water infiltration and also become a substantial maintenance issue but in the mindset of a potential purchaser that is a "maybe" so he discounts it in his buying mentality. Teak, or any on deck wood, is a definite maintenance consideration and will affect the mindset of a purchaser. And sad to say, the average guy doesn't get the same labour of love satisfaction that we got 30 years ago from maintaining brightwork and to pay someone to do it for you is for new boat guys flush with cash. The used boat buyer is tighter on dough. He wants to use the boat with as little effort and expense as possible. Stainless steel, chrome and plastic (artificial teak) seem to be in vogue these days.
Kelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 10:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsea View Post
I question whether teak decks on older, used boats increases the resale value, regardless of their condition. I think the average guy looking to move up is well aware of the "inevitable" maintenance expense of teak decks and tries to avoid them. If he has unlimited funds, he'd buy a new boat. A functional, low maintenance deck is a substantial consideration when putting together your maintenance budget. Might even mean a larger boat. It's true that a cored deck may become compromised due to water infiltration and also become a substantial maintenance issue but in the mindset of a potential purchaser that is a "maybe" so he discounts it in his buying mentality. Teak, or any on deck wood, is a definite maintenance consideration and will affect the mindset of a purchaser. And sad to say, the average guy doesn't get the same labour of love satisfaction that we got 30 years ago from maintaining brightwork and to pay someone to do it for you is for new boat guys flush with cash. The used boat buyer is tighter on dough. He wants to use the boat with as little effort and expense as possible. Stainless steel, chrome and plastic (artificial teak) seem to be in vogue these days.
My impression is you are correct, Teak decks do not increase value but decrease it. Many people cross a boat off the list if it has them.... without even looking.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak deck