Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-08-2012, 11:34   #46

Re: Smoke from Shaft and Cutlass Bearing !

Has anyone had a Petter and know where the "stern gear grease" goes? Manual only shows oil intake for engine and for the reverse gear. Can find no info on any other dipstick or grease intake points. Maybe this is our metal on metal sound. Something sounds like it is getting hot and rubbing, but that may be a picture painted in my mind.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:12   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

are you sure it's not refering to stern gland grease? Old packing glands used to have grease zerks on them.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:27   #48

Yes, that is likely they meant. We have not seen one, but will have to look and probably feel under and around for one. If there is one, then it would be dry as a bone after 41 years!

Thanks for any and all explanations and advice!!
Old 01-08-2012, 13:55   #49

Boat: 1982 Oday 34

I think your transmission is overheating and siezing up the motor. It should have a separate filler and dipstick for transmission fluid.

Put a short bolt in that exhaust hole and then JB Weld around the bolt head.
Old 01-08-2012, 16:28   #50

Thanks Jetexas. Bolt is great idea if can get to it. The copper coiling is very tight and partially covering the hole. Stove sealer did not work. Exhaust is shooting out behide other coils. Tried to loosena nut holding the coil (one of 3) that are wrapped around the exhaust pipe, but afraid to try to bend it up (to get to the hole) as thought the coil might break, so tightened it down again. Besides, the copper coil continues down into the exhaust pipe right above the baffle/muffler. Might not have been able to get it out or EVER get it back in place.
Gonna look hard for grease access into transmission area. Thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 16:34   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Usually the exhaust pipe is an exhaust hose from the injection elbow to the muffler.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:08   #52

Boat: Niagara 35

Sounds like you probably have multiple issues. You definitely need to figure out how to put transmission oil in the transmission.

You said that the alignment is good because you didn't change anything. Bad assumption and easy to check. Mine was out by miles when I bought my boat and it was doing damage.

Still not clear to me if you can spin the shaft easily by hand in neutral both a) cold. b) hot after near shutdown. Since this is in neutral, it would tell us whether the transmission is involved (unless the transmission is seriously messed up, I guess).
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49   #53

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I think you should grasp the nettle and first give your engine and gearbox a very thorough major service, oil is cheaper than metal and get in the habit of checking it every time you use it for fluid levels, fan belt tension etc. Dismantle and weld the exhaust leak properly,(the gunk they sell in auto shops definitely works, but indefinitely) reassemble and you will by then understand your installation much better. The metal grinding sound you hear may well be the gearbox in the primary stages of seizing and the engine is stopping because it's overloaded. In my experience packless seals do not spray mist when installed and I would consider retensioning the seal/ bellows on the shaft log. I don't mean to sound abrupt but someday your life may well depend on that engine so prevention is better than reparation.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:11   #54

Somewhere in this thread there is listed a web site for Lister/Petter. Get in contact with them and ask them where the trans filler is and what type of fluid it takes. If it turns out that it is lack of oil in the trans, then you can assume a transmission overhaul fromm running so long without oil. The term stern gear is a very old term for transmission, since early boat motors were ussually direct drive and didnt have a transmission or reverser(stern gear). I also agree with many on this thread that you have a combination of problems. Good Luck with it all._____Grant.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:14   #55

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

The following websites will source all spare parts and service manuals for your Lister Petter engine/s. I suggest you find the engine number plus the gearbox make and number and have them beside you when you contact them so that you can identify the parts you need. Bryco.co.uk marineengine.co.uk or sleemen-hawkins.co.uk
Hope this is helpful to you, or any other person having one of these engines.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: