Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 11:48   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Sleeping on your Boat on the Hard

I am in the process of doing a refit which will likely cost in the neighborhood of $100k when all is said and done. The boat is on the hard in Cowes with the mast out. In the context of that kind of expenditure, some nights in a 50 pound B&B don't really change the weather. On the previous two visits here, I stayed in the atmospheric Duke of York, where the gaff of the former royal yacht Britannia is hung in the main dining room.

Still, it galls me to spend money on a hotel when I have a perfectly good bedroom on board. There's no water or sewage, obviously, but I've got electrical power and heat. I'm thinking seriously about staying on board, brushing my teeth out of a jug, and peeing in an empty antifreeze container.

Am I crazy? Anyone else done this?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:59   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Sleeping on your Boat on the Hard

Only way to fly. Just like living aboard in the marina, a long trudge to the loo, and sometimes colder than you might like. We tend to haul in do-it-yourself yards and there's pretty much a regular community of people living on their boats while working on them. Some of them are more considerate than others with regard to disposal of human waste products.

Just remember not to use the sinks, especially after putting on a fresh coat of bottom paint
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:00   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Any one else done it? Ummmmm yes. Everyone.

Some yards are like a little village.

It depends on if the yard allows it. If they do then go for it. All the machines stop at sunset and its all quite nice.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:08   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

It depends on if the yard allows it. If they do then go for it. All the machines stop at sunset and its all quite nice.
Well, technically it's not allowed, but in the winter this is the friendliest boat place in the world, and no rules are enforced. Last time I was here, the owner asked my why I wasn't staying on board; was very surprised I had a room at the Duke of York.

I guess I'll give it a whirl!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:18   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

good luck. you will be awakened hourly for anchor watch, as you realize you dont have to do that, is way too late...too early for coffee....light too bright to read by---shucks--back to sleep--uhoh--hour is up--gotta see where--ohpoo--am on hard----mebbe that is why boat not working correctly.....sweet dreams and , when yer done, do mine, too, please..

sounds like a lot of work to be done. have a great time and may it turn out well....you are not alone, ye know....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:20   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I've done it. It's entirely strange, and I never got a really good night's sleep in the boat on the hard. It's just weird, in a rigid sort of way. Would probably never do it again unless there were no viable alternative. After the first try, we'd always try to schedule our haul-outs during times when we could house-sit for friends.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:20   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Used to sleep on the hard but getting too old for that. Now we rent a condo, started with one week and over the years it's stretched to three weeks. We do all the boat work ourselves and what we did in one week now takes two and a bit. Up and down that ladder all day and night got to us. Not to mention how dirty the boat gets with all the tracking in and out. The beauty of a condo is you can get your grubby clothes washed every night, not to mention the much more convenient heads. I guess another few years and we'll just get the condo and forget about the boat. Anyone want to buy a boat.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:22   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Take a GPS when you go to the pub.
Staggering back its hard to recognize your own boat in the dark from underneath

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:34   #9
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Done it for weeks at a time, not that nice but easy enough. Onboard a boat getting sandblasted is not recommended..

Some people run a hose from the galley sink seacock into a bucket so at least you can wash up onboard.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:47   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Basically its like camping in a warm tent with a great mattress. Walk to washroom in the morning was not really appreciated so I think the bottle is a good idea. I would suggest you try the bottle as you may find the neck a little more restrictive than you might think. They make special pee bottles and you can find them at large drug stores or pilot supply places. Make sure it has a screw on top with a strap, not a snap on top.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 13:00   #11

In 2000, we stayed onboard on the hard in Ala Wai in Honolulu while a new rudder was fabricated and the skeg repaired. It took two weeks in total. There was a toilet and shower that to which we had access and most cooked meals were eaten ashore.

The August heat was the "killer."
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 13:04   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
In 2000, we stayed onboard on the hard in Ala Wai in Honolulu while a new rudder was fabricated and the skeg repaired. It took two weeks in total. There was a toilet and shower that to which we had access and most cooked meals were eaten ashore.

The August heat was the "killer."
In January in Cowes heat is not -- shall we say -- a big problem

There are newly renovated toilets and showers a ladder and a short walk away . . .

There are fantastic cheap meals at the newly renovated Fountain Inn -- just back from one.

I guess this will work. Life is good . . .
Old 10-01-2013, 13:07   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I've done it. It's entirely strange, and I never got a really good night's sleep in the boat on the hard. It's just weird, in a rigid sort of way. Would probably never do it again unless there were no viable alternative. After the first try, we'd always try to schedule our haul-outs during times when we could house-sit for friends.
I can see that. We shall see . . .
Old 10-01-2013, 13:09   #14

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Sure, I always do it if the yard lets me or at least looks the other way. I find it kind of enjoyable, in a strange sort of way. Composting head works great in that situation. I've found it is worth it to lock the ladder to the boat so somebody doesn't walk away with it while I'm onboard.
Old 10-01-2013, 13:24   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

There are newly renovated toilets and showers a ladder and a short walk away . . .
Make sure you lash the ladder. Seriously. And not just for the sake of safety. I got up one morning and discovered that someone in the yard had borrowed ours, not realizing I'd spent the night aboard.

A tough situation when you've really got to use the restroom.