Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 18:23   #1

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Six cylinder Pathfinder

Hello,
I am looking at a boat which has a six cylinder Pathfinder Marine engine,maid to be 82 horsepower. The boat is a 1982 model from the US and the engine may be original. Checking Pathfinder on the Internet I tend to come up with engines based on the VW rabbit and so on, but nothing on this bigger engine. Does anybody have details on it?
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 21:57   #2

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: Six cylinder Pathfinder

I think that's a no.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 22:47   #3

My mothers 84 Volvo diesel station wagon was a VW engine. I didnt know it until a Volvo mechanic pointed it out. I did a delivery on a large boat that had a 6 cylinder Volvo diesel that looked very much like the old station wagon diesel. Dont discount the chance that a 6 cylinder Pathfinder is actually a VW diesel. VW made many small/ medium truck diesels which is where the Volvo 6 cylinder came from. Compare part numbers for basics, Rings, bearings, rods, pistons etc, and you may find that they are the same between VW/ Volvo/Pathfinder. Look into it before you discount the possibility. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 23:02   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I had the Pathfinder 50 for a few years. The information that I acquired in that time indicated that all sizes of pathfinders were marinized VW motors. But it seems they have dropped out of existence.

You can get VW parts for them but the marine parts are pretty rare. If you get a boat with a pathfinder, use it up and then plan to re-power to something comparable.

I had over 7000 hours on mine before I changed it out due to a timing belt idler pulley failure, due to not having a spare far from civilization. But pulled it, rebuilt the head and sold it.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:49   #5

Boat: Kaufman 47

I had 70ish hp Pathfinder 5 cylinder in my boat when I got it, just dropped a Yanmar 4hj4-te 75hp in it yesterday. Much smaller.

Thing about Pathfinder, there is one distributor in Canada that you can only reach by email. I can't recall the name but if you read enough Pathfinder threads(don't worry not many) you will stumble up their contact info. Not sure what parts are left or if the company even still exists.

What parts do you need? I may have something on mine sitting in the garage.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
... there is one distributor in Canada that you can only reach by email...
I don't know if they're still around, but:
Pathfinder Marine Inc.
8 Linden St., KIRKLAND, Quebec H9H 3K6 , Canada
Telephone: (514) 695-6676
Fax: (514) 695-1080
Email: pathfinder@pathfindermarine.com

An ad’, circa 1980, for the 5 & 6 Cyl Pathfinders
Yachting - Google Books

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 14:19   #7

Boat: Seapiper 35

Pathfinder marine is still around and very responsive to those needing support. I started with 50hp and repowered with a 65hp with the same foot print. I have been very pleased with the new engine and the service I received over the years. John Scherer is a genius on VW engines. 514-695-6676

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote