Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 06:27   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Sink supplier?

Hi all. I pulled the blunder of using Rustaid on some surface rust in my stainless steel sink and now have a SS sieve. The Rustaid ate right through the thing! Of course, after the sieve conversion I read the directions and they said, "not for use on SS," so there. A welder I'm friends with tried to put some rod patches on the holes and the steel was so thin the sink basically melted, so now I really have a metal mess.

I am in dire need of a 25" x 17" drop-in SS sink without fixture holes. (25" side-to-side and 17" front to back.) The existing sink is 12" deep and I would prefer a similarly deep sink for replacement. I've spent well over 10 hours googling and have even contacted Franke, Moen, Mr. Direct and the original manufacturer (Polar RV) over the phone to no avail.

My sink is (was) in a Gulfstar. I know that CSY and Vancouver both used the identical sink as I've been in those boats and seen them, so it's not a custom or unusual item.

My question for the forum is whether anyone knows a source (maybe an active builder?) for this critter. It was shoehorned into the space and I can't get anything any bigger into the hole. I mean even 3/4 of an inch on the front-to-back won't work.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 18-12-2011, 06:44   #2

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Sink supplier?

I don't think sinks are unique to any particular boat so should be readily available at most lumber stores or building material recyclers. Habitat for Humanity may be a good starting point if you have one in your area.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 06:58   #3

Boat: I Want A Catalac

Single or double bowl?
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 07:23   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Here's a couple
RV Sinks Stainless Sinks For RVs, Motorhome Sink, Trailer Sink, Camper Sink, Round Stainless Sink, Oval Stainless Sink, RV Sink, Double Bowl RV Sink, Double Bowl Stainless Sink
Elkay PSDKAD2517 Pacemaker Stainless Steel 25" x 17" Single Basin Classroom Sink with Faucet and Bubbler
But the Elkay is $1200. Ouch. I'm a contractor and I have remodeled the sides of the cabinet to fit a larger sink many times. I can fit a 33" sink in a 30" space. You just take a jigsaw and cut out the part of the cabinet sides that's in the way. Be careful of adjacent drawers and hardware but even these could be remodeled. Nobody looks under the sink so it doesn't have to be pretty. You might be able to fit a slightly bigger size without much grief. Good Luck BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 07:42   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

McMaster-Carr

Scandvik Rectangular Mirror Finish Sink

here is another list.

You might also contact the Lowes or Home Depot folks and see what they migh be able to order for you.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 08:10   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I lifted this Gulfstar 44 galley pic from yachtworld. If yours is like this then you may be able to substitute a standard sink with the faucet holes and just plop your faucet on your new sink. SS sinks without the faucet flange are not used as much so the selection is much smaller. BOB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	galley gulfstar 44.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	34869  
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 08:27   #7

I hate those double sinks both are to small while taking up a large counter space
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 09:18   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Whilst you are still tracking down the pefect sink - why not use the existing one as a mould for a f/g version?.....or get the nearest (undersized) fit and bodge up a temporary (?!) collar......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 09:38   #9

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Ouch! So sorry this happened. I just wanted to offer what I use for surface rust on stainless: white vinegar and elbow grease. No abrasives. Good luck finding a replacement! If you can't find affordable new maybe consider contacting a few salvage yards? SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 10:06   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Elkay and Just are the two biggy SS sink folks in the US but pricy. There are also offbrand (China) sinks. as well as acrylic and Corian, etc. Check the uses sailing supply places too, Sailorman in florida and blue pelican in alameda, ca are two...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 10:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Single or double bowl?
Oops. Sorry. It's a double bowl. The picture Sand Crab published is identical in every way to ours. It could be ours, except for where the sink is there's only a big hole right now.
Old 18-12-2011, 11:00   #12

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I replaced the head basins, and got lucky on eBay. There is a Marine Supply company in Florida, not one of the more popular ones, and I forgot the name, they had Scanvik sinks at real reasonable prices, maybe 25% of retail. I got two, one had a small dent, which is lost in the shadows, and the other had some very small scratches, which now match all the other small scratches. I think they were display pieces.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 12:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
I replaced the head basins, and got lucky on eBay. There is a Marine Supply company in Florida, not one of the more popular ones, and I forgot the name, they had Scanvik sinks at real reasonable prices, maybe 25% of retail. I got two, one had a small dent, which is lost in the shadows, and the other had some very small scratches, which now match all the other small scratches. I think they were display pieces.
What town was that in? Scandvik has one model that's slightly smaller that might work.
Old 18-12-2011, 16:17   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Starfish-
12" deep means no "consumer" grade sinks. I recently ordered a new deep kitchen sink (shoreside) from ajmadison.com, who carry Elkay's larger line and other "deep" sinks. Not sure if you'll find 12" deep but they are extremely competitive on price with one of the best (easiest) web sites I've found.

In the meantime...MarineTex or epoxy "plumber's putty" under your sink, and a sheet of waxed paper pressed down to smooth it out inside the sink as it bleeds through. Won't be pretty but it will repair sheet metal for years. Someone in a breaker's yard or consignment shop or marine flea market may turn up a sink for you at a fraction of the new price.

I'm told that the problem with $tainle$$ is that in order to make a deep sink, the stamping process gets incredibly more expensive with every inch of depth (larger dies, more pressure) and of course the metal gets stretched thinner so they have to use thicker sheets to start with. $$.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 16:40   #15

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Starfish, here is one that might be close. It's not cheap but an option.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...4293&id=133460

Or a surplus of what appears to be the same unit for less money:
http://www.searay-parts.com/Scandvik...239dblsink.htm

I'll poke around a little more later tonight. This one is 25 1/4 x 14 15/16".

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote