Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 07:39   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 53
Simrad Hydraulic Linear Drive Parts

I'm hoping the community can help with this one...

We have a Simrad/Robertson HLD2000D hydraulic linear drive unit on board our boat. The unit is a two hydraulic ram system driven by a reversing hydraulic pump. The rams are connected to the hull via a type of ball joint mount.

The interface between the ball joint and the ram is a small plastic ring. The part number is 21219019. This part is commonly to all previous generation Simrad drive units like the 2000 or 350 series.

I have contacted Simrad to try and get a replacement part, but their answer was that they don't make them a anymore and don't stock parts. Too bad and sorry, but please don't bother us unless you want to buy a new one.

I've tried local dealers and can't find one. I'm at a dead end and am now facing replacement of a perfectly good drive system for the sake of a $2 plastic ring.

The question is, does anyone know of a place to go for hard to find Simrad parts?

I welcome other suggestions. Thank you in advance.
flippercarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 07:50   #2

Boat: Freedom 40
Re: Simrad Hydraulic Linear Drive Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippercarson View Post

We have a Simrad/Robertson HLD2000D hydraulic linear drive unit on board our boat. The unit is a two hydraulic ram system driven by a reversing hydraulic pump. The rams are connected to the hull via a type of ball joint mount.

The interface between the ball joint and the ram is a small plastic ring. The part number is 21219019. This part is commonly to all previous generation Simrad drive units like the 2000 or 350 series.

I have contacted Simrad to try and get a replacement part, but their answer was that they don't make them a anymore and don't stock parts. Too bad and sorry, but please don't bother us unless you want to buy a new one.

I've tried local dealers and can't find one. I'm at a dead end and am now facing replacement of a perfectly good drive system for the sake of a $2 plastic ring.

The question is, does anyone know of a place to go for hard to find Simrad parts?

It looks to be a simple sleeve bearing with a flange. If you know or get the the dimensions from Simrad - it should be possible to find one or have one made.
Old 13-02-2018, 07:58   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:

We have gone through similar trials with Simrad on our late '90's era HLD2000 MK2, in our case needing to replace a failed 6mm tensile rod on the cylinder. The company was notably unhelpful and was either unable or unwilling to provide us with even the specifications for the rods. Fortunately, I found a machine shop in Sarasota, Florida that was able to obtain suitable 6mm stainless rods and machine the parts we needed.

For what its worth, you might pull the parts catalog for one of Simrads current drives from their web-site and discover that the current drives use the same bushing. Alternately, if you have the old bushing, you might be able to find a shop with a laser scanner that can then use a 3D printer to make up the part you need or mill one from a suitably thick chunk of starboard.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:36   #4

Boat: Freedom 40

With Starboard I would worry about coldflow under load. Nylon- possibly infused with moly-disulfide, or Delrin may be better choices. I imagine it is a high load small movement kinda application.
Old 14-02-2018, 06:19   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 53

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I did try a cross reference to Simrad's current units, but without success. Went to a machine shop and pricing for a new one would be more than the whole unit itself.

In the end, I made a new bearing out of starboard. It's a surprisingly good fit. Not perfect...But good enough.

Thank you again for the suggestions.
flippercarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 07:34   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Thank you for all the suggestions.

I did try a cross reference to Simrad's current units, but without success. Went to a machine shop and pricing for a new one would be more than the whole unit itself.

In the end, I made a new bearing out of starboard. It's a surprisingly good fit. Not perfect...But good enough.

Thank you again for the suggestions.
Good for you! When you get it back together, post a snapshot!

For us, yesterday afternoon I learned that our HLD-2000 is being held captive by the hydraulic's shop that was to rebuild it (after I spent $295 to have replacement tie-rods machined) because the only mechanic there that is qualified to do the work is out on sick-leave and they have no idea when, if ever, he'll be back! (And the thing is sitting, disassembled, on his work-bench!)
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linear drive, parts, simrad