Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 23:46   #121

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Simple, Effective Bird Deterrent--Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
i've tried rubber snakes on my dock...still have a few of them out there.

Phhhht, birds and otters ignore them. I think a great blue heron flew off with one of em.

We have some friends who use rubber snakes to deter sea birds. They had to tie down the snakes to the handrails, and stanchions, because the kookaburras kept trying to take them! It's a funny old world!
Old 21-04-2019, 05:15   #122

Our marina has the same type recording (according to the harbormaster, it’s a seagull being torn to pieces while alive by a hawk or some other bird of prey) that plays every 45 minutes or so. It sounds pretty awful, but it seems to do the trick.
Old 21-04-2019, 08:05   #123

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Well--Its about two months since my last up-date and we still remain "Bird Free" as does the roof of our yacht club which, in past, by this time of the year would have been turned from "Pepsi Blue" to "Bird Poop White". The only timer we've had any popps have been on the odd few occassions when Murphy's "Bird Bane" has gone done, although by now most of us in the Basin now how to reinitiate the device when necessary. So, we've been good for four months!

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 10:47   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
[/B]

We have some friends who use rubber snakes to deter sea birds. They had to tie down the snakes to the handrails, and stanchions, because the kookaburras kept trying to take them! It's a funny old world!

I’ve had one of those rubber snakes scare the liquid out of me once, it was laying on the dock and I almost stepped on it and noticed it at the same time
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 07:11   #125

If you're looking for a way to keep birds from landing on your lifelines or railings and crapping all over your deck and want it to be silent, reusable, effective, and nearly invisible I use the "K-BOB Loop" it's inexpensive and has done a great job of keeping birds off my lifelines. There is a FB page named the same and a web site named www.kbobloop.com
The photo on FB page shows what we deal with every day at Lake Michigan, small birds big birds it works very well and we keep it on while underway or dockside with no issues does not get in the way. You can drag hoses, sheets, pump out hoses etc and it will not affect it. Good luck!
Gdindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 05:34   #126

So... Murphy's "Bird Bane" has been chirping away for 8+ months now and continues to deter the little (and sometimes not so little) pests. Our boat, our slip neighbors' boats and our Club House roof have largely remained bird poop free save for the rare occasion when a power outage disables Murphy's machine. Fortunately, such outages are infrequent and only short lasting so the adverse effects are minimal. And, the on-set of the serious rainy season has made a clean up of what little waste is "deposited" a simple task rather than a daily chore as in years past. While there are other alleged bird deterrents, in 50+ years of boat ownership Murphy's Bird Bane has proven to be the only one to actually live up to its promise.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 22-07-2019, 05:43   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Simple, Effective Bird Deterrent--Finally!

It’s worth a lot apparently. I’ve never seen anything work, not really, maybe other birds, meaning raptors.
But propane cannons and everything else seems to work, but they become used to it and come back
Glad this is working for you full time, cause I really hate birds myself or at least their leavings etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 06:12   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Murphy's Bird Bane keeps chirping away, the boat basin--and with the wireless remote speakers--the Club remain bird (living or dead) free.

FWIW...
Googled Murphy's Bird Bane and not seeing anything. What should we be looking for?

Thanks
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 08:25   #129

Here is my solution. But have to raise and lower IGGY periodically

Nybor Catalina 350 (Robyn spelled backwards)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nybor birder.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	196388  
nybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 11:38   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdomb View Post
Googled Murphy's Bird Bane and not seeing anything. What should we be looking for?

Thanks

The device is known as a "Bird-B-Gone". Seniormechanico posted a link to the device (see Bird-B-Gone) in Post #91 to this thread.
Old 25-07-2019, 12:32   #131

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

We used bird-be-gone for awhile, I can still hear the different squawks that you can seleect, but it ran the battery down, and I was not sure it was really working. Eventually removed that and used strings by tying a main string from 1'-2' above the boom at the mast back to the end of the boom. The tie smaller secondary strings every 3' that go from the main string out to the lifelines every 3'. And then tie strings to cover the bow and stern.

It takes some time but once you get it set up, it works and coils up along the main string very nicely.

The other issue is the spreaders - tie a monofiliment across 3" above each spreader that will trip them up. They do not like or trust all these strings. Your boat will look strange, but we've found it is a perfect solution, and it sure beats cleaning up after a two week bird party where it has all solidified on the gelcoat, after some fish jumped into the cockpit inadvertantly.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 14:24   #132

Yes, the mono filament across the front of the main, 3-6 inches above the spreaders (the 6" is for the Ospreys!) works fantastic. I helped do this for my neighbors 46' and of course now that bird comes to my boat!

My backup solution? Before sunrise, I scatter 30 pounds (13.6 kg) of sardines on all the nearby boats.... works like a charm!

dave..

ps, PLEASE don't tell them
nybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 18:30   #133

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Well, it is that time of year again in Southern California. The palm trees are filled with a red berry that has birds coming from far off continents and near by suburbs just to gorge themselves and then poop all over my boat and the other boats in my marina.

Based on this thread I purchased and installed a Bird-B-Gone on my cabin top. It broadcast the sounds of birds in distress and the calls of predators. I tried each of the possible bird type settings for a day or two on the loudest setting. It was loud and annoying. I wasn’t sure if it would be more effective chasing birds or exciting the local villagers to come after me with pitchforks.

I have to let you know, however effective it may have been in the South East, to put it simply, the Bird-B-Gone didn’t work here. The damn birds sat on the masthead and the rigging and pooped at Will. I always feel bad for that guy Will. I also feel bad about about the villagers with pitchforks. I got a tongue lashing from one dock neighbor this morning who directed profanities at we...and at Will.

I put the device back in its box and allowed Amazon to return it to the seller. So I’m back to hosing and scrubbing and muttering unkind words under my breath. Will is ducking for cover.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 20:12   #134

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

This summer I bought one on eBay to chase away starlings.
There isn't a setting listed for those birds, but I went through the list over a few days.
The "General" setting seemed the best.

At first most, but not all the starlings decided to cross over to someone else's boat.
Several days later I looked out the window and saw a bunch of crows.
They were flying around making a huge fuss, circling and diving the boat!
After about a half hour of not being able to find the "evil predator" on the boat, they left.

We have had NO BIRDS even near our boat ever since and it's been over a month.

I don't leave it out in the weather, especially facing upwards as it's not waterproof.
It's recommended for outdoors, in protected areas. No financial links.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 21:19   #135

Maybe we should not call a raised aft deck the "Poop" deck.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote