Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 23:46   #121

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Simple, Effective Bird Deterrent--Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
i've tried rubber snakes on my dock...still have a few of them out there.

Phhhht, birds and otters ignore them. I think a great blue heron flew off with one of em.

We have some friends who use rubber snakes to deter sea birds. They had to tie down the snakes to the handrails, and stanchions, because the kookaburras kept trying to take them! It's a funny old world!

Old 21-04-2019, 05:15   #122

Our marina has the same type recording (according to the harbormaster, itís a seagull being torn to pieces while alive by a hawk or some other bird of prey) that plays every 45 minutes or so. It sounds pretty awful, but it seems to do the trick.

Old 21-04-2019, 08:05   #123

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Well--Its about two months since my last up-date and we still remain "Bird Free" as does the roof of our yacht club which, in past, by this time of the year would have been turned from "Pepsi Blue" to "Bird Poop White". The only timer we've had any popps have been on the odd few occassions when Murphy's "Bird Bane" has gone done, although by now most of us in the Basin now how to reinitiate the device when necessary. So, we've been good for four months!

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 10:47   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
[/B]

We have some friends who use rubber snakes to deter sea birds. They had to tie down the snakes to the handrails, and stanchions, because the kookaburras kept trying to take them! It's a funny old world!

Iíve had one of those rubber snakes scare the liquid out of me once, it was laying on the dock and I almost stepped on it and noticed it at the same time
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 07:11   #125

If you're looking for a way to keep birds from landing on your lifelines or railings and crapping all over your deck and want it to be silent, reusable, effective, and nearly invisible I use the "K-BOB Loop" it's inexpensive and has done a great job of keeping birds off my lifelines. There is a FB page named the same and a web site named www.kbobloop.com
The photo on FB page shows what we deal with every day at Lake Michigan, small birds big birds it works very well and we keep it on while underway or dockside with no issues does not get in the way. You can drag hoses, sheets, pump out hoses etc and it will not affect it. Good luck!

Gdindy is offline   Reply With Quote