Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 19:13   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Silicon Bronze chainplate reassurance....

My old chain plates were ss 1/4 inch thick by 1 1/2 wide by 26 inches long. I made bronze ones from silicon bronze from online metals. They’re the same size but instead of 1/4 inch they’re 3/8 inch thick. I know I’m “supposed” to use forged bronze, I assume the 3/8 bronze sheet I got is not forged. So am I gonna be ok with these?i checked the specs for it it’s pretty close to 304 , other then the elongation I think was 13% vs 30%. After drilling the holes and bending it I was supprised how easily it bent and drilled and had me second guessing it. Any one care to weigh in?
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 19:57   #2

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Silicon Bronze chainplate reassurance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastward ho 24 View Post
My old chain plates were ss 1/4 inch thick by 1 1/2 wide by 26 inches long. I made bronze ones from silicon bronze from online metals. They’re the same size but instead of 1/4 inch they’re 3/8 inch thick. I know I’m “supposed” to use forged bronze, I assume the 3/8 bronze sheet I got is not forged. So am I gonna be ok with these?i checked the specs for it it’s pretty close to 304 , other then the elongation I think was 13% vs 30%. After drilling the holes and bending it I was supprised how easily it bent and drilled and had me second guessing it. Any one care to weigh in?
Should be good to go for hundreds of years. For all practical purposes it has a near infinite fatigue life. It has stood the test of time so I like it even better than titanium.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 20:22   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

If I were to survey your boat, I would find no fault with those.
Old 14-01-2018, 06:03   #4

Well that’s good to hear.the ease of which it’s machined , cleaned , and bent had me nervous. Can’t see why any one would want to messs with ss compared to bronze. I wasn’t sure if it would cut on a plasma cutter , but it cut it nice and straight with no problems and it drills easily with a cobalt bit. I drilled 24 holes with one bit . The ss killed my 20$ bit after 2 holes.
Old 14-01-2018, 08:50   #5

Boat: Pearson 10M

My experience drilling Stainless has taught me that a sharp bit, oil and steady consistent pressure are needed to keep the drill bit cutting and prevent the Stainless from work hardening.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 08:59   #6

They don't need to be forged. BTW, 3/8" isnt sheet, it's called plate. Good job, I wold have went to 3/8 also. More bearing area for the pins.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 12:25   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
My experience drilling Stainless has taught me that a sharp bit, oil and steady consistent pressure are needed to keep the drill bit cutting and prevent the Stainless from work hardening.

And slow speed, trick is to not generate heat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 17:21   #8

Thanks I’ll sleep better now. They sure are pretty
Old 14-01-2018, 17:44   #9

I forgot to mention the carriage bolts that were there were facing inward so the squares are actually in the hull. I wouldn’t know any better but that doesn’t seem a sensible option in my head. So that leaves me with bronze hex cap bolts for mounting options. As much as I want to just put them in and sloop some caulk in there I’m thinking these holes need to be filled and re drilled or they’ll leak and creep up. Is this something I should be definitely concerned about?
Old 14-01-2018, 18:19   #10

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Put a round hole in the chainplate and a round bolt in it. DON'T make square holes in the chainplate. Carriage bolts are not suitable.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 18:47   #11

Yes I’ve done that I’ve made the round holes and they line up and I’ve dry fitted the chainplates. But the hull has the square holes in it from where they used carriage bolts. I guess I shave to fill these in?
Old 31-01-2018, 23:27   #12

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

How big are the square holes and what size holes do you anticipate in your new chainplates?

Iam confused a bit whether the existing carriage bolts are thru and thru or somehow embedded in the hull. Your new chain plates will be better off thru bolted clean thru the hull, with a backing plate on the inside for optimal strength. If you can find bronze bolts and nuts, all the better for a lifetime of service, to reduce possibility of galvanic (or crevice) corrosion because of dissimilar metals e.g. bronze chainplates & SS bolts.

With the square holes, if the fit is to sloppy for your taste, you can always close up,the existing holes with an epoxy or resin putty and drill them out when cured, using your new chain plates as a drill guide.

If you bed everything well with Dolphinite bedding compound, they won’t leak for 40 + years afterwards.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote