Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 10:56   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sikaflex product for Keel Bedding

Hi All:

I need to make a temporary repair to the keel of my boat. I am going to be removing the existing bedding with a rotozip for an inch or two and then will fill the gap with a Sikaflex product. I will need to remove the keel at some point in the future so don't want a permanent bonding agent like 5200. Sikaflex is the only product available locally so it would be best to go with that brand.

I am aware that this is not the best thing to do but it is what I can afford to do now. If anyone has different ideas on a temp fix I will listen but I can't afford to detach the keel and rebed it now.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:21   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Sikaflex product for Keel Bedding

Does someone have an opinion? Not like this forum not to have an opinion.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:57   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi All:

I need to make a temporary repair to the keel of my boat. I am going to be removing the existing bedding with a rotozip for an inch or two and then will fill the gap with a Sikaflex product. I will need to remove the keel at some point in the future so don't want a permanent bonding agent like 5200. Sikaflex is the only product available locally so it would be best to go with that brand.

I am aware that this is not the best thing to do but it is what I can afford to do now. If anyone has different ideas on a temp fix I will listen but I can't afford to detach the keel and rebed it now.
Have you considered Sikaflex 291?
Old 03-06-2014, 10:08   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Sika will be ok for a temporary fix, but 1 inch or 2 with a roto?? hell you have a serious gap there,, cheers...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, keel