Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2013, 19:35   #1

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Sika primer qeustion

I would like to use polysulfide to bed a glass port in a bronze frame and have Sika 206 primer, which is supposed to be for polyurethane products. Does anyone know whether the 206 can be used with polysulfides? I don't seem to be able to find the information on the Sika website, so I appreciate any insights experts would have.
Old 22-08-2013, 21:16   #2

Boat: TBA
Re: Sika primer qeustion

Hi Delphin,

5050 is the correct primer for polysulphides, the polysulphides are normally 2 part and don't require a primer unless fully submerged.

i would use 206 and a single part polyurethane for on deck or portholes, much easier to work with and they do a great job, sulphides require Exact mixing procedures and precise quantity for each part if your taking a little out of each kit. they will also need to be used quickly as pot life is not extensive ,if using sulphide the pot lives can be extended by asking for different pot times they sell slow medium quick in most of the sulphides. (206 reacts with sulphides)

Hope this helps
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 21:37   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

3M 101 and LifeCaulk are polysulfide bedding compounds. They only need a primer for bedding teak. Probably can get by just by wiping the teak down with acetone. If it's a largish port, would think about using Butyl as the caulking. I use LifeCaulk for most bedding on the boat but butyl handles expansion better. Had a port that had been a chronic leaker because the cutout was poorly done and left very little overlap in a few areas. Signs that the previous owner(s) had used various bedding compounds in the past to stop the leaking without success. I bedded it with butyl and the leak stopped.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 22:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Hi Delphin,

5050 is the correct primer for polysulphides, the polysulphides are normally 2 part and don't require a primer unless fully submerged.

i would use 206 and a single part polyurethane for on deck or portholes, much easier to work with and they do a great job, sulphides require Exact mixing procedures and precise quantity for each part if your taking a little out of each kit. they will also need to be used quickly as pot life is not extensive ,if using sulphide the pot lives can be extended by asking for different pot times they sell slow medium quick in most of the sulphides. (206 reacts with sulphides)

Hope this helps
Thank you! It was the potential for the 206 to react with the polysulphide that I was concerned about, and it sounds like that may be sn issue. Much appreciated.
Old 22-08-2013, 22:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
3M 101 and LifeCaulk are polysulfide bedding compounds. They only need a primer for bedding teak. Probably can get by just by wiping the teak down with acetone. If it's a largish port, would think about using Butyl as the caulking. I use LifeCaulk for most bedding on the boat but butyl handles expansion better. Had a port that had been a chronic leaker because the cutout was poorly done and left very little overlap in a few areas. Signs that the previous owner(s) had used various bedding compounds in the past to stop the leaking without success. I bedded it with butyl and the leak stopped.
I had not thought about Butyl but that is not a bad idea. Thank you!