Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2019, 10:08   #31

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Show your clever low budget solution to fix down floorboards, bunk tops, drawers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding View Post
Thanks sailredemption, those screw downs look like what I was looking for.
Depending on thickness of panel you need to fasten, you can find "quarter turn fasteners" that are the same thing as PYI, but much lower price. They are used in a lot of industries and quantity pricing brings them down to very affordable.

Matt
Old 20-06-2019, 10:48   #32

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Show your clever low budget solution to fix down floorboards, bunk tops, drawers

Very good advice Matt. Thanks!

Aktually that seatbelt arrangement sounds clever too.
Old 20-06-2019, 18:44   #33

Boat: Sabre 402

For those interested in the magnets... how far will they be from the compass?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 20:19   #34

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Cheapest solution: do nothing. Unless you’re planning on sailing the Southern Ocean?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 06:32   #35

Boat: Trintella 47

Skybolt Fixture Lock Floorboard Air Fastener
(800) 223-1963
http://www.skybolt.com/
Cloc 4000 series receptacle with their Cloc 4003 series studs
Sk4003-13s
Sk430-16s
Charles S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 06:35   #36

Boat: Trintella 47

Skybolt Fixture Lock Floorboard Air Fastener
(800) 223-1963
http://www.skybolt.com/

Cloc 4000 series receptacle with their Cloc 4003 series studs
Sk4003-13s
Sk430-16s
Charles S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 11:03   #37

Boat: no sail boat yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
I installed automotive seat belts.
I like that idea.
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 18:30   #38

Boat: None currently … previously a Beneteau Oceanis 350. Before that … a Cavalier 30

I've used velcro or cordage with jammers for many of the smaller things … but the bilge-boards are more difficult.

Ideally a small spring loaded stainless bolt on the underside of the board slotting into a hole or hasp in the bilge-side … with finger access through a small hole to undo.

The stuff in the bilges really needs securing anyway … especially if it's that few dozen bottles of priceless champaign, rum or brandy you are saving for a special occasion. Webbing straps attaching to shaped battens glued or glassed to the bilge floor work well … just be sure to leave drainage slots under them so the area between them doesn't become a secondary bilge water trap.

Don't stop at the obvious cupboards, draws and bilges though … there are lots of things that need securing if you anticipate real rough weather. Companionway hatch and wash-boards should definitely be able to be secured and released from inside and outside. They also need a way of being secured when open or stowed. The lid of the chart table and stove, fridge and basin covers are often forgotten about. Ideally, all the bottles, cans, boxes, tools, spare parts and whatnot that accumulate in lockers and the lazarette should be secured …ditto the anchor, spare anchor(s) and chain. Again, I tend to vote for webbing straps with glued or glassed securing points.

Even some of the things that look like fixtures may not be securely held in place if you anticipate extremes like knock-downs or (heaven forbid) roll-overs. A lot of fixtures are securely held 'down' … but might not cope too well when they need to be held 'up'.

Don't stop with below decks … topsides need checking too. On a lot of boats the winch handles slot into little pouches … and will come out and fly around and get lost in a knock-down or roll-over. Cockpit lockers need securing (as in held down and up) to keep them closed at any angle.

And if you are in the habit of carrying a lot of paraphernalia on deck … surfboards, sailboards, bicycles etc. think about what will hold them in place at extreme angles.

Of course, I have to admit to not always practicing what I preach … where's the fun in being perfect?

Happy Sailing.
TonyDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 19:24   #39

Boat: Islander 36

I used Command Adhesive hooks and shock cord to hold all my USB cables, and other small items that I store in a back cubby of my nav table.

I found three wicker baskets that fit. Puts a hook on the left and right side, ran the shock cord through the handles of the baskets and hooked the cord on the hooks with a loop.

Works great! Hold the baskets in place, I can pull them out a bit to root around, or unhook and pull the baskets out easily.
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 04:43   #40

Boat: Admiral 38

We had same problem. Went to hardware store and bought 1" wood drawer pulls. Stained them to match the teak interior. Drilled hole in center and cut 1/4 off the edge. When mounted they blend in, naturally turn down to lock the door closed. Worked in 30 foot beam seas. Costs, $9.00 plus screws and stain.

we need to come up with a solution to fix our onboard items down for passage making and rough weather.

Before I'm reinventing the wheel, I'm curious to learn about what clever unconventional low budgets methods people have come up with to fix floorboards, bunk tops, drawers and the likes with.

I'm not looking for expensive marine hardware to do this, but rather out of the box ideas...

The aim is to tie stuff down while keeping access possible without to much hassle.

Basically I'm brainstorming this.

Thanks for sharing![/QUOTE]
TrialRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 12:12   #41

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

We use aluminium strips 20mm wide by about 45mm to 70mm depending on where used, with 3/16"" bolts and washers and nylock nuts to make toggles for all locker tops. Floorboards are held by 2 or 3 fittings each made from 1/4" roundhead bolts through board at each end. Underside of each bolt has washer and nut, then nut, aluminium tang and another nut. All adjusted so tang catches under edge of transverse frames which floorboards rest on. Anchor chain locker has 2 boards over held down with 2 luggage straps. 80 m of 5/16" chain. Another 40m chain under floor board with 2 tangs as described earlier. 400AHr LFP batterries (75kilo) on aluminium frame and held down with luggage strap. LA batt held with 2 small luggage straps.thwartship Drawers have lamipanel toggles. All held in 130 to 140 degree roll in Tasman last year.
If you like i can take and post pics.
Yacht is 9.5ton 13.5m "Adams 13" and we have cruised from Sydney >35kmile
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 22:34   #42

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Cheapest solution: do nothing. Unless you’re planning on sailing the Southern Ocean?
Southern Ocean does get very rough, David Lewis's Icebird turned over 3 times in Southern Ocean... However, her sistership Galavanter turned over 3 miles off Coffs Harbour on NSW mid N coast Tasman sea!!! Yachts can be capsised or knocked down in gales.
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 00:17   #43

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Thanks so much to everyone, we just want to be prepared for the unlikely event of a capsize (Catamaran) . I'm aware that we have an aweful lot of things to care off in this case. So having less stuff trashing around would make life easier in the event.

Great ideas so far!

Our bunk tops will get secured with a used seatbelt across them, so that the hold underneath does not unload itself so easily...
Will only be fixed in rough weather and than it will take only a second to do so.

Keep the ideas coming to the benefit of all of us.

Thanks!

Tags
budget