Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2009, 11:41   #31

Boat: Baba 35
James that is really slick! Patent worthy even!

Nice looking pics everyone!
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 12:02   #32

James,

Nice work. What is the material?

Question - it looks like perhaps the dishes could dump out when the boat is heeled over and the rack is up on the windward side. Am I reading this correctly?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 23:37   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Thanks guys.
The dishes look like they would fall out in the picture showing the rack down (this is only while one the hook)...this picture was taken after the rack has been rotated clockwise (moving the cups drip tray over the back splash) that’s what my finger is showing.
I'll post rotated before and after pics....when not rotated the plates are well secured.

The dish rack is still only a mock up and made out of PVC and MDF....it will be plastic, the mechanism is from laminated teak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G3.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	7878   Click image for larger version

Name:	G2.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	7879  

James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:15   #34

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob kingsland View Post
Here's a few of mine:
Attachment 7813
and another
Attachment 7814
The trash is in a pull out behind the door on the left in the top pic (under the sink)... that door hinges on bottom and tilts out. The other door accesses area under the sinks. Countertops are 3/8" corian, epoxied to ply. Not shown is hanging locker storage, etc., over reefer/freezer.
Louvers not yet in in these pics; they're in now. Still thinking about dish drain, spice rack, etc., but it all works ok.
James, you have entirely too much time on your hands when you're not at the boat ... nice dish rack.
Best, Bob S/V Restless
Hi Bob,
VERY nice, so much so that I'm looking at doing something similar on my boat. I've taken some liberties and copied your pic's for reference (I hope you don't mind? If you do, let me know). I've reattached them hoping that you could confirm a couple of dimensions for me?
My end product will look much different then yours, but will be similar with the recessed cove behind the sink. If you would confirm a couple of dimensions it would be very helpful. Having said that, considering that you have lived with your layout for a while, would you change either of these two dimensions?

Let me know if you would.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimension-DSC_0074interior 2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	8444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimension-DSC_0076interior 2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	8445  

Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:56   #35

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
cchesley - also interested in the Granikote material and how it holds up, would like something different to what we have but the idea of taking apart the whole countertop, sink, plumbing etc doesn't appeal.

bob - what are those lights over the sink and how much current do they draw? Our galley is currently lit by a LED bulb and its a bit stark for our liking, need to mix it up with something warmer over the main working areas.

-Tom
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 13:49   #36

Boat: 50' custom pilot house cutter
galleys

Hi Extemp: no problem with the pics; copy them or cut them up as much as you want, it's fine with me and I'm glad you like them.

That alcove is about 12.5" high in the center, 9.5" high at the ends, 49.5" long, and 10" deep. The other dimension you asked for, the distance from the front of the counter to the start of the recess, is about 11.25", making the whole thing roughly 64" long and 21.25" deep. The teak visible in those shots is 1.5" radius, both inside and out.

You asked if those dimensions work for us, and I would say that they do... the alcove is high enough and deep enough to be able to effectively use the sink without issues. I don't see any need to change them, and they let me stuff a pretty good sized Skandvik sink in there. It wouldn't work without the alcove. Ultimately the admiral is happy with the galley, although I should have been more thoughtful about storage for pots and pans... the bigger ones we don't use much have to go under one of the settees, but there's plenty of room there.

Hope your project is coming along well... and I hope you can get out on the water some this summer.

And Theonecalledtom, those lights are recessed spots from IMTRA Marine Products, type David. I have 6 of them with 10 watt bulbs on one circuit (4 under the overhead cabinet lighting the reefer area counter, and 2 in the alcove) and when they're all on they draw 4.5 amps, but I have them on a digital dimmer from BlueSeas and we find that dimmed so that they draw 3 amps total is still enough light to work with. The fluorescent is a Resolux from Imtra which draws .9 amps and is more than adequate all by itself. And it has a red LED which when on draws .1 amp. I do have almost 1100 amp hours of battery capacity, along with the ability to recharge in a hurry, so most of the time I don't worry too much about the draw.

Hope this has helped,

Best, Bob S/V Restless
bob kingsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 14:59   #37

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Mine is pretty simple and as the boat is very small its a tight fit for most things. The Engel fridge is under the table. The 2 burner Dickenson stove is a very nice if spendy piece of work. The sink has both manual and power water from a 29gal tank under the vee berth. Dry and canned food storage is under the seats and , well, just about any where I can find space. You can see it in the gallery as I can't figure out how to put it in here.........m
Old 07-06-2009, 16:27   #38

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob kingsland View Post
Hi Extemp: no problem with the pics; copy them or cut them up as much as you want, it's fine with me and I'm glad you like them.

That alcove is about 12.5" high in the center, 9.5" high at the ends, 49.5" long, and 10" deep. The other dimension you asked for, the distance from the front of the counter to the start of the recess, is about 11.25", making the whole thing roughly 64" long and 21.25" deep. The teak visible in those shots is 1.5" radius, both inside and out.

You asked if those dimensions work for us, and I would say that they do... the alcove is high enough and deep enough to be able to effectively use the sink without issues. I don't see any need to change them, and they let me stuff a pretty good sized Skandvik sink in there. It wouldn't work without the alcove. Ultimately the admiral is happy with the galley, although I should have been more thoughtful about storage for pots and pans... the bigger ones we don't use much have to go under one of the settees, but there's plenty of room there.

Hope your project is coming along well... and I hope you can get out on the water some this summer.
Hope this has helped,

Best, Bob S/V Restless
Thanks Bob, it helps immensely and I'm really excited how (I think) it will turn out. I'll post some pic's at some point.
I will get some sailing in. Not for about another month though.
So far ALL of my projects are going great, right now I'm building my booth in the main salon.
Thanks for the good wishes.

Best Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 20:27   #39

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
You know you guys are all giving me galley envy right? Some of these layouts are palatial compared to the galley on Espina or Sabre Dance.

Im in the process of restoring the galley on Espina, being 50 years old this year, its seen its share of battles. So far I have to complement the builder, most of it is coming apart without damage to the mahogany trim. (first time I've ever been able to remove plugs without demolishing the woodwork!) but it seems some of the interior parts were made of non marine ply and have fallen apart or been cut away over the years. Also, there is no ceiling anywhere except at the settees. So, a revamp and improvement without compromising the 50s layout n design is in order. Going modern would be like putting a saddle on a cow.

I'll post some photos next time I go down and work on her.

--

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 23:54   #40

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran

We started from scratch....

We rebuilt our galley by removing everything down to the bare fiberglass hull

All the new cabinetry is carbon fiber/nomex honeycomb sandwich. (tricky to work with but super light).

Because it's a cat weight is important. But we have a lot of space, so the front opening fridge in the last photo has 6-7" foam all around, and about 3 or 4" in the door.

last photo also has vented open veggie bins for root vegetables (down lowest in the hull)
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 00:12   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Nice job Evan.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 20:53   #42

Nearly finished, still not sure exactly what floor covering will be...

I think I like cabinet building almost as much as fairing.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 22:08   #43
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
The dark benchtops and the splashbacks look great. Looks more like the kitchen at home Very nice.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 23:29   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Beautiful...

Beautiful workmanship. Wish I could do that well.

For the floors. Something cleanable for the galley, but for the rest of the boat something to avoid cold feet. I'm seriously considering carpet.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 00:11   #45

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Ive deffinitely got kitchen envy now. I better be careful what i say just in case Captain reads it, but he knows the galley is long over due for some TLC.

Tags
galley