Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2010, 10:04   #1

Boat: 1974 Paceship PY23
Should I Be Worried ?

Just hauled the boat for the winter. Once I got it home I noticed this on my keel.....

Looks like the person who had the boat before me did not do whatever they were suppose to do properly.

The centerboard was swinging fine all season.

What is my next step? Can I get through another season without doing anything? Is this something to be worried about?

Thanks in advance!
Old 22-10-2010, 10:22   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Looks like rusting iron or steel. If you can pull the pin and remove the board, then you just wire brush it down to bare metal, paint it with zinc oxide primer, if you can get it, or epoxy sealer and then bottom paint, replace into trunk.
Old 22-10-2010, 11:42   #3

Boat: 1974 Paceship PY23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kismet View Post
Looks like rusting iron or steel. If you can pull the pin and remove the board, then you just wire brush it down to bare metal, paint it with zinc oxide primer, if you can get it, or epoxy sealer and then bottom paint, replace into trunk.
Since it is the cast iron shoal keel that is rusting, do I have to remove the board to perform this?

Trying to think how I can get it lifted high enough to get access to the entire keel.....
Old 22-10-2010, 11:56   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0twind View Post
What is my next step? Can I get through another season without doing anything? Is this something to be worried about?

Thanks in advance!
If you keep a large chunk of steel in salt water then that's what yer need to expect

If it was under a year then I would not be happy. but after 5 not surprised. I suspect in your case somewhere in between. The PO may (or may not) have done a perfect job (to get good paint adhesion) - but got to expect that the paint barrier will eventually be breached in places (sea critters / sea growth / bumps and knocks - even without running aground )......and when that happens you will get rust. Probably also a bit of abrasion from raising and lowering.

The answer? as described above .............and acceptance that a lifting keel plate is not a 100% fit and forget item. but 95% is not a bad trade off for the advantages. As she is coming ashore now would seem a good opportunity for you to get hands on .

If you never maintained it eventually would probably jam. drop off. or ultimately rust away completely (but that latter one would likely be measured in decades ). Never had one of those, but would expect 5 years from a (well done) repaint. Mechanism may be a different matter.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 12:29   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

g0t-
Probably just time for a routine paint job, but since you can already see rust, time to wire brush those spots and get them clean, before painting. Or you could clean off the entire thing with a paste stripper, which might be much less work, and then start over with primer and bottom paint.
I'd also drop the centerboard and do the best you can with scraping and painting inside the slot. Get it as clean as you can and them use bottom paint, to prevent critters from growing in the slot and to prevent rust from attacking from inside the slot.
If you don't let it get that worn down, repainting is uch less work.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 12:34   #6

Boat: grampian 26
There are lots of articles on refinishing iron keels and most involve elbow grease and determination.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote