Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-08-2015, 15:40   #1

Boat: 1965 William Garden 34' Sloop
Shipwright Caulker Needed for 34' Wooden Sloop

We had our 34' wooden hull sailboat hauled in November 2014, to clean inspect, and re-paint the hull. We have since decided to completely re-caulk the hull before putting her back in the water. We are looking for an experienced caulker to re-pack the hull with cotton/oakum. The boat is on the hard, in a marina in Riverside New Jersey. Looking for someone willing to travel to southern NJ, on Delaware River, across from Philadelphia.
Old 20-08-2015, 16:53   #2

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190
Re: Shipwright Caulker Needed for 34' Wooden Sloop

Dave, nice boat,and she looks fair in the photo. Hope you find an active "corker" to help you out. I've caulked my own boat and others a while back in the last century and, if you don't find someone and decide to do it yourself and can find a set of irons, especially a horsing iron, I'll be happy to talk you through it. It's not so difficult but has to be done following simple guidelinesor it will not be satisfactory, but it's not rocket science. It's also a good feeling of accomplishment and confidence. Let me know if I can be of any help. Fair Winds, Jonathan Reiter
Old 21-08-2015, 15:22   #3

Boat: 1965 William Garden 34' Sloop
Re: Shipwright Caulker Needed for 34' Wooden Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Dave, nice boat,and she looks fair in the photo. Hope you find an active "corker" to help you out. I've caulked my own boat and others a while back in the last century and, if you don't find someone and decide to do it yourself and can find a set of irons, especially a horsing iron, I'll be happy to talk you through it. It's not so difficult but has to be done following simple guidelinesor it will not be satisfactory, but it's not rocket science. It's also a good feeling of accomplishment and confidence. Let me know if I can be of any help. Fair Winds, Jonathan Reiter
Jonathan,
Thanks for your response. I have done a small amount of oakum/corking myself, but am intimidated about doing the entire boat myself. I have a couple of helpers, and have already bought two irons and the oakum/cotton. I'll probably get started, while I continue to search for an expert in the area. I want to get her back in the water before winter. Thanks for offering to help if we have questions! We'll may just be reaching out in the next few weeks.

Thank you,

Dave Gehringer

Tags
sloop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: