Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 01:53   #1

Shipbuilding: is a barrier function needed?

Hi everyone! I am searching for areas in shuipbuilding where barrier functions e.g. against gases like oxygen, nitrogen, helium or carbon is needed or where a material is needed that is resistant against oil (mineral oil incl.), greases or organic solvents. Can anybody please help me?

I've just talked to somebody in ship building but except some hints like "odor nuisance in kitchen" or 'garbage offload on islands' he could not help.

I would be happy about your hints and comments! Thank you very much!
wasilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 03:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Shipbuilding: is a barrier function needed?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, wasilvia.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 05:47   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I when you say shipbuilding you mean container ships, barges, tank ships, etc......
Then barrier coatings are big business, the wrong or right coating can make or break lifespan economics of a ship or tank vessel.

If you mean fiberglass toy boats, the. Again barrier coatings are big business.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 09:40   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Welcome Walsilvia! Resistance to chemicals, including all types of gases, odors, oils, water, etc. is indeed a big issue in shipbuilding. The issues are, in general, very specific to a particular problem. One problem is to keep water on the outside of a boat of course. Some materials are more impervious than others. Same with solvents, oils, etc. Holding tank odors are a big concern. Some plastics are terrible at isolating odors in tanks and hoses. Others are very good. Some metals are not good in some places in engines.

Some barriers require unique approaches. The best way to protect exterior steel and many other metals is actually to provide less anodic materials that are sacrificial. The protection is provided by having another metal that uses up the harmful chemicals, in essence, diluting them so that the surrounding metals have more "protection". Paint is one solution but is often not enough, so zincs are placed on the outside of ships to provide additional protection. These have to be replaced as they are eaten up by the attacking chemicals. Etc, etc, etc.

The number of issues, and the complexities of the issues, and the varying opinions as to the "best" solutions would take you years of study. You'll have to be much more specific to gain any useful information.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 09:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasilvia View Post
Hi everyone! I am searching for areas in shuipbuilding where barrier functions e.g. against gases like oxygen, nitrogen, helium or carbon is needed or where a material is needed that is resistant against oil (mineral oil incl.), greases or organic solvents. Can anybody please help me?

I've just talked to somebody in ship building but except some hints like "odor nuisance in kitchen" or 'garbage offload on islands' he could not help.

I would be happy about your hints and comments! Thank you very much!
Why??

I prefer full disclosure with honest transparency. Are you working on a project or a business?? I get paid to innovate. Why should I give that you for free?

I'm not interested in helping you make a business or money for free.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 12:44   #6

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Why??

I prefer full disclosure with honest transparency. Are you working on a project or a business?? I get paid to innovate. Why should I give that you for free?

Then why participate in a FREE ADVICE FORUM????

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 15:34   #7

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Why??

We are all interested in what kind of innovating you do for hire? Are you a business? If so, you perhaps should list yourself as a vendor on the forum.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 03:55   #8

Hi Gordmay, sailmonkey, exMaggierDrum, Shrew and jeremiason! Thank you for your kind replys. Regarding the questions: I am searching for new fields of application for a film that has barrier functions like eg. oxygen, nitrogen, and also resistance against oil, organic solvents etc. I talked to somebody who is working on ship equipment and he told me that in ship building (either tanks, cruises, etc.), there might be use for that, or: a need, because some solutions are not yet satisfying. I am not asking because I want anybody here to work for free but I would like to know in which industry it might be interesting for the users. This is the background.
wasilvia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun