Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2010, 05:32   #1

Shannon 28 - Bilge Freeze-Up Damage ?

Hi,

Anyone know what might be the likelihood & type of damage that could result from bilge water freezing up? This Shannon 28, has been sitting uncovered, on the hard, in NY for probably 5 yrs. Some cabin leaks have softened a couple areas of the cabin floor, and some Holly strips are coming out. The bilge water was about 18" deep! Can water freezing in closed ball valves & other fittings cause them to burst? (I am considering buying this boat, but haven't heard his asking price yet). Thanks
HalfShell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 05:59   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Water froze in my bilge off and on for years, if there is room for the water to expand during freezing don't think you have a problem. Same as the principal of an ice tray in your freezer. Regarding your valves etc., these may or may not be an issue, can they be tested by closing and filling their service lines with water to check for leaks, cracks?
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 07:52   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Yes just like your outdoor garden hose valves ice is a powerful force able to split most metal...I could not being to advise you on the keel stub and surrounding hull...

If 18" froze solid i would imagine there would be some stress damage somewhere...how bad or big of a concern I think is going to be an individual case by case issue.

A competent surveyor will know what to look for if you do not...but you yourself can tap around listening for delamination....that is going to be the surveyors main mode of operandi along with looking for the obvious...cracking, tabbing broken loose..and of course rotted bulkheads and and structural glassed in wood stringers that were submerged for that long.

A lot of us here don't put a lot of stock into but very few surveyors, as we have learned they are notorious for missing things anyway...after all they are not there to do destructive testing or spend a week doing it...Your paying them for say half a day to give you their opinion based on there past experience...that's not a lot of time to crawl around a boat and expect them to find everything.

Learn what to look for and you pretty much can do this yourself...Your Insurance co will think differently if going for Comprehensive/Hull insurance.

Ask around for a through surveyor and have him take a look if you don't feel comfortable yourself....no offence but your questions tell me you would be better off with a surveyor till you get up to speed ...follow him around and ask questions you will learn a ton.

Good Luck

PS if your in SD hire Kells Christian...he does one heck of a through job.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge