Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2014, 19:39   #61

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Shallow Dive System for Bottom Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Wow! I see this is more than double the cost of the 60' air hose I bought from the nearby Ocala, Florida dive shop, but then I see this $205 price is not for the hose alone, but a primary regulator, secondary regulater and a leash and connectors too! Quite a bit more than a 60' hose.
As already stated, the regs are not included. I bought this same hose (60') a few years back for $140. I supplied the link to show that high grade dive hose is readily available, no need to use crap hose that will kill you.

I use this hose connected to a tank, leaving the tank on the boat. I have 2 tanks, hence, always have one+ for unplanned work under the boat. At $5 a fill, I figured it was cheaper to use tanks than buy a compressor. I only perform routine maintenance, zincs and pulling props for re-paint, etc. I use a service for bottom cleaning, hence, only under the boat every 6-8 months unless something breaks. I'll load more tanks if I plan an actual dive trip.

Certainly pros and cons to tank vs. compressor decision.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 21:25   #62
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Brownie's gear is about as expensive as it comes. You can do better if you shop around a little bit. That said, my only real problem with their stuff (and I owned some of it for a week or two) is the plastic connectors they use to join hoses etc. Seem kinda flimsy.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 01:30   #63

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetone View Post
You might want to think about getting Spare Air. It's a little pricey but the risk of lung over pressurization or decompression sickness (even at the shallow depths your diving) is a serious concern. Perhaps Google the two..do a little research, be safe
Decompression sickness is typically known as the bends. Nitrogen gas is dissolved into the body tissues while under pressure or submerged. When the pressure is relieved on ascent the dissolved nitrogen come out of solution, circulated by the blood, and is removed by the lungs. To first approximation, if the ascent is too rapid the bubbles become too large and end up blocking the capillary blood flow in the tissues causing damage and destruction.

The no decompression limit, the amount of time that one can remain at given depth without decompression is infinity for 30 feet of water. Consequently, one cannot get the bends if you remain above 20 feet (this assumes the rule of using the next depth increment when using dive tables).

A more relevant and critical issue is an air embolism or lung damage via overpressure as mentioned by a couple posters. At 30 feet, two atmospheres of pressure, each breath draws twice the number of air molecules than at the surface. So if you were to inhale at the 30 ft depth and hold your breath while making the ascent the air would expand as the pressure becomes less. Eventually the alveoli, tiny air sack in the lungs would explode. Raw large air bubbles would enter the arterial blood and become lodged in various tissues including the brain. The outcome is usually not good, death is most common.

I understand that an air embolism can occur in as little as 5 feet of water.

Never hold you breath when breathing compressed air. Always breath naturally. Never ascend faster than 30 feet per minute when breathing compressed air. I recommend at a minimum read the materials from an intro dive course.

My main concern is having the compressor suddenly stop because it is cheap or the generator quits. If it quits right on your exhale and the supply line is jammed or entangled in the rudder for example, old guys may find it a stretch to get unclipped and to the surface without trying to extract air from seawater.

Lastly, a marina or if your own AC connection is improper you can be electrocuted in the water. That is why it is always a bad idea to swim in a marina. Beware high electrical fields near boats.

Wow it is really a complex world, a 1000 ways to kill yourself that you never thought of.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 04:16   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
As already stated, the regs are not included. I bought this same hose (60') a few years back for $140. I supplied the link to show that high grade dive hose is readily available, no need to use crap hose that will kill you. ..............................
You can't call the identical hose a "crap hose" just because I did some vigorous or fortunate shopping and found a cheaper source. Look at "The Air Line" dive shop in Ocala, Florida. I bought the same 60' hose, but without the swivel end fittings for under $100. Maybe it was on sale, ..? but they show the same product photos with the same gear.

Please, no more of these references to the poor quality hose. I have ditched the hose that came with the purchase in post one and have purchased the diver's supply yellow Hookah "food grade" approved quality hose. With much appreciation for the safety advice that I requested.
Old 14-09-2014, 04:31   #65
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
...a marina or if your own AC connection is improper you can be electrocuted in the water. That is why it is always a bad idea to swim in a marina.
Electric Shock Drowning (ESD) is typically a freshwater phenomenon only. It is extremely rare in saltwater. I have been working in the water in marinas in the Bay Area for twenty years. During that time, divers have performed well over 1,000,000 in-water hull cleaning events here (25,000 of them I have performed personally) and there has not been a single injury or death due to ESD. That's a pretty telling safety record.

While it is always wise to take precautions when working around electricity and saltwater, there is no inherent danger of ESD in a saltwater marina.
Old 14-09-2014, 05:34   #66

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
You can't call the identical hose a "crap hose" just because I did some vigorous or fortunate shopping and found a cheaper source. Look at "The Air Line" dive shop in Ocala, Florida. I bought the same 60' hose, but without the swivel end fittings for under $100. Maybe it was on sale, ..? but they show the same product photos with the same gear.

Please, no more of these references to the poor quality hose. I have ditched the hose that came with the purchase in post one and have purchased the diver's supply yellow Hookah "food grade" approved quality hose. With much appreciation for the safety advice that I requested.
Obviously, I didn't read far enough into the thread.....
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 05:47   #67

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

fstbttms, what's your price?
Old 14-09-2014, 07:24   #68
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
fstbttms, what's your price?
Foregoing all the myriad jokes I could attempt, PM sent.
Old 14-09-2014, 08:36   #69

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Brought back memories. I put myself through college (40 years ago) cleaning boat bottoms. Used an oil-less compressor and hose connected to a regulator. Your system is much better than what I used.

Question: How do you turn off your unit if you're wet?

A comment on Electric Shock Drowning (ESD). Yes, it is a real problem in fresh water. In salt water it is a problem if you touch an object that is (improperly) connected to electricity. An example is if a boat has a faulty ground system and the propellor shaft is charged. If you touch the shaft, you can get shocked (shafted?). For this reason, if you dive on a boat, make sure that it is not connected to shore power.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 08:44   #70
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c-m View Post
Question: How do you turn off your unit if you're wet?
I get out of the water, walk to the shore power box and flip the breaker to "Off."
Old 14-09-2014, 09:28   #71

Great topic!

fstbttms, thanks for all of your great input! I'm "planning" on doing some scuba diving in some remote atolls and major dive spots around the world, so my first plan was to buy a dive tank compressor and 4 or 5 tanks and use that for reef exploration, boat repairs, cleaning, etc.

Now I'm wondering if a gas powered hookah with a couple of 100' hoses in the dinghy might not be a better choice for mobility and ease of getting back into the dinghy.

What are your thoughts of using a hookah for reef exploration vs scuba tanks?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 09:47   #72
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
What are your thoughts of using a hookah for reef exploration vs scuba tanks?
Why not use hookah? The only downside I can think of is having to keep gasoline aboard. It would certainly be smaller and more lightweight than a tank-fill compressor and a bunch of tanks, which is always an important consideration aboard a sailboat.
Old 14-09-2014, 10:05   #73

I have no experience with them, does the hose tend to float? I'm mostly worried about the hose tangling/trashing coral and stuff.
Old 14-09-2014, 10:30   #74
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I have no experience with them, does the hose tend to float? I'm mostly worried about the hose tangling/trashing coral and stuff.
You can buy floating or sinking hose. Most hose sold at the recreational level is floating.
Old 14-09-2014, 13:58   #75

OK, thanks!