Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 08:39   #31

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: Shallow Dive System for Bottom Care

Have you tried the setup yet?

The 125 psi seems high to me but I am not sure. Anyone with knowledge care to advise on what is the appropriate psi?

I have been thinking of setting up my own system for similar use. I was looking at 12 volt compressors without a tank. Is the tank necessary?

I would put a particulate filter in-line and use breathing grade hose. I looked at the systems on eBay and they seem like cheap crap for the most part. I thought I could build something better for less money.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:48   #32

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Typical scuba first stages reduce to around 140psi, so typical scuba second-stage/regulator takes around 140psi input. Most air compressors produce 0-120psi, so you may wish to use a hookah second stage regulator that uses 80-110psi input. Some (second stage) regulators can take a higher or lower input pressure. Some compressors can produce a higher output pressure.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:53   #33
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Russell View Post
Maybe look at an industrial supply that sells sandblasting equipment? They use oil-less air compressors and long air hoses to supply breathing air under their blasting hoods. As I understand it, the main thing to get rid of is any oil in the air.
Oilless compressors are very common and available at any hardware store. The OP bought a Porter Cable pancake model that can probably be found at 10,000 retailers in this country alone.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:56   #34
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
I have been thinking of setting up my own system for similar use. I was looking at 12 volt compressors without a tank. Is the tank necessary?
An accumulator tank is not necessary. Have a look at the Air Line by J Sink web site for ideas about what components to use in a high quality DIY hookah rig.

http://www.airlinebyjsink.com/the-ho...detective.aspx
Old 12-09-2014, 09:01   #35

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

monte, let's say your keel is 6 feet below the surface, that's about one-half pound per foot pressure times six feet, so about a three pound lead weight per square foot of pressure. Lay down on the floor and have someone place the equivalent lead weights on your chest for the surface area. See how long you can breathe effectively. Then complicate it by lifting some barbells to duplicate the effort of actually working below.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:09   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

A number of recent questions, concerns an comments seem to come from those who must not have read the intro to this thread. The 125 psi is the outflow pressure adjusted from the primary regulator from the OILLESS compressor. This is not the pressure that I am breathing, but it passed through a (now "food grade") 50' air supply line that leads to a secondary regulator as would be found on typical scuba tanks. Also, as shown in the inro photos, there is a fine particulate filter located between the primary regulator and the air supply hose.

Thanks to all for their help in refining my system so that is safe!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:43   #37

Boat: Rinker 24

Before the zebra mussels wiped them out, there was a somewhat busy industry on the rivers diving for clams. I know a couple guys who had air compressors on their boats attached to a 60 foot air hose. I'll ask one of them how the setup was. I know at least one guy who used a home made rig with a gas motor hooked to a regular piston-type compressor that was mounted to a repurposed beer keg as the air tank and he's still alive. I heard another story about a person I casually knew who was diving and the guy in the boat gassed up the motor for the compressor while the other guy was on the bottom and the intake of the compressor sucked in some gas fumes but he made it to the surface OK. After that they re-routed the compressor air intake.

Anyway, I'll ask about it when I see him next and let you know if I find out anything valuable.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:51   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I remember a time when I was around 13 years old and with some friends in Beamsville, Ontario. We dove in a pool with a device that the "adults" had made using a WWII surplus gas mask and an air compressor from some spray painting equipment. We were probably lucky to have survived!
Old 12-09-2014, 18:30   #39

Boat: solaris 42 1978

i tried the same basic components " but with the correct air hose
yours is wrong" the problem being you need a much larger generator to run the compressor than i had .. i could get less than 5 minutes before it all shut down ,, cheaper to just hook the hose to a bottle and get it filled leave it on deck
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 18:54   #40

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

In the SCUBA class I took with my son, we were given a snorkel that wasn't even 2' long. As I descended it was clear I couldn't get to 2' depth. Air at ambient surface pressure is 14.7 lbs per sq inch @ sea level. Your diaphragm
Is not designed to inspire with even the slightest deviation in pressure. In addition, as you exhale, you can't clear the tube of your CO2. You would just be re-breathing your exhalations which would lead to anoxia.

An accumulator tank can be helpful since it allows reserve capacity reducing run time of the compressor. If battery powered this can increase dive time.
Old 12-09-2014, 20:10   #41

You might want to think about getting Spare Air. It's a little pricey but the risk of lung over pressurization or decompression sickness (even at the shallow depths your diving) is a serious concern. Perhaps Google the two..do a little research, be safe
hemetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 20:12   #42
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
An accumulator tank can be helpful since it allows reserve capacity reducing run time of the compressor. If battery powered this can increase dive time.
I know of no 12-volt systems that incorporate an accumulator tank. Not sure why this is, but there must be a reason.
Old 12-09-2014, 20:27   #43

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

The Hookamax E2005C-12V has an accumulator tank.
Old 12-09-2014, 21:25   #44
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
The Hookamax E2005C-12V has an accumulator tank.
OK, you got me. I didn't consider the low-end hookahs based on Chinese-built POS knock-off compressors.
Old 12-09-2014, 22:37   #45

Boat: O'Day 302

Were you able to get a reasonably priced source on the air hose?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote