Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 09:26   #1

Boat: Island Packet 420
Semco vs Deks Olje #1

I know, I know, there are tons of postings about teak oils, etc. But I am looking for some very specific opinions. I am done with varnish and Cetol and have just stripped one toe rail and will be coating it with something next week before stripping down the other side. I have pretty much narrowed down my options to Semco or Deks Olje. I am leaning towards Deks Olje because I like the deeper finish, otherwise, they seem like very similar products to me. I am looking to see if there is anyone out there who has tried both products and can give me some advice. I am in Spain now, and the only Semco I have seen at the marine stores here is the natural Semco, which gives a light, slightly yellowish cast which I am not too fond of, hence the thought to go with Deks Olje. I doubt I would bother with the gloss, just put on a bunch of coats of #1 until it doesn't soak in anymore.

Anyone tried them both? I do not wish to leave the teak bare.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Semco vs Deks Olje #1

I do not know the Semco product but I discovered Deks Olje #1 when I lived on my wooden boat years ago in the Caribbean. It is the best product for protecting wood that I found and when you have some graying from a crossing, it is the easiest to repair. All that was needed was a wipe off with a cloth with fresh water to get the salt off. Let it dry and just overcoat with one or two coats. The next day it looked like you had spent days sanding and varnishing.

One word of warning though. You do need to tape off to prevent the oil from staining painted (or gellcoat) surfaces.
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 06:22   #3

Thank you for your response. I have decided on Deks Olje. I was wondering which method you found best for applying it. I understand it is extremely thin and you need to apply multiple coats, keeping it wet.
Old 13-03-2018, 07:01   #4

Boat: Tartan 4100

I used Deks Olje just last year and I am extremely happy with the appearance of it, it has a more deep color than regular varnish and much, much better looking than Cetol. I have never really used Semco, but I do see boats with it am just not happy with the look of Semco although I know the application is easy and touch up is even easier.
The last time I used Cetol, I was not happy with the longevity of it. They must have monkeyed with the formula to comply with the VOC requirements. A friend of mine used Cetol with similar results.
Just my two cents worth.............
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 07:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
Thank you for your response. I have decided on Deks Olje. I was wondering which method you found best for applying it. I understand it is extremely thin and you need to apply multiple coats, keeping it wet.
Correct. For the initial application the wood needs to be completely free of any previous product. Use a brush and just go around all the surfaces to be coated. The oil does get absorbed quite quickly. While you are working you will find that the product and wood is sticky. The last coat will be the one that does not get absorbed. Leave it on and then in the morning you can remove the tape and enjoy the results.

Have fun.
Old 13-03-2018, 07:21   #6

Thank you. The instructions tell you to take a rag that is damp with the product to wipe off product on the final layer that doesn't get absorbed, but you are saying I can just leave it on overnight.... that would be much easier and less messy. Did you have to tape up stainless fittings? I would think I could clean any drips on those with mineral spirits later.

I really appreciate the practical insights.
Old 13-03-2018, 09:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

I had no stainless fittings to worry about. All of my outside brightwork was alongside a painted surface or bronze. I did protect all with some tape as I view this as less work than cleaning up a mess later.
Old 13-03-2018, 12:17   #8

OK, thanks for the info.
Old 13-03-2018, 14:19   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

We used Deks Olje #1 & #2 on a Folkboat, Hull, Cabin & mast.

We found the #1 very good and the #2 useless, the #2 peeled off like cling film, We then tried good quality yacht varnish over the #1 and it was excellent
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 05:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

I never used #2. My experience with #1 was always positive and it saved me a lot of time on my maintenance while still looking good.

I watched others use #2 and it seemed to me to provide all the work that varnish needed so I stayed away from it.
Old 15-03-2018, 06:25   #11

Thank you, that was pretty much what I was thinking. So, I have only invested in D.1. When I read the instructions they want you to wait for 3 dry days before applying it. Well, it is raining here today, after 2 days of good drying. Did you really feel like you needed 3 days of sun before applying? I get the part about it being dry- but we are talking about now having 4 dry days in a row, 3 to dry and then a day to apply. In the Spring! Don't have a moisture meter.