Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-09-2014, 17:01   #31
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Seized up Bronze Seacocks

As Main Sail pointed out, the plugs on the side of the seacock allow the water to drain out while the seacock is closed. If they are not drained and are allowed to freeze, the expanding ice could crack the seacock body.

A lot of people do put grease fittings in place of the drain plug. This won't hurt the tapered cone type seacocks but you should never do this to a ball valve seacock.
If you pump grease in through the drain of a ball valve you can create enough pressure to blow out the seals.
Old 07-09-2014, 18:00   #32

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Lance managed to get three of the six disassembled. Despite the success the day was not without it's frustrations. I was not really involved in the job, but here is what I know.

Drain plugs broke on two of them. Wood mounting pads have to be replaced under two of them. One destroyed flange nut. One bent handle. Bolts had to be cut off of one to remove it (because wood pad under it needs to be replaced).

I have to say that my husband is just about the most tenacious person I know and more patient than I ever would have been. He will get them all done but I think it's going to involve a fair number of replaced parts and a lot more time.

Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 19:26   #33
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Lance managed to get three of the six disassembled. Despite the success the day was not without it's frustrations. I was not really involved in the job, but here is what I know.

Drain plugs broke on two of them. Wood mounting pads have to be replaced under two of them. One destroyed flange nut. One bent handle. Bolts had to be cut off of one to remove it (because wood pad under it needs to be replaced).

I have to say that my husband is just about the most tenacious person I know and more patient than I ever would have been. He will get them all done but I think it's going to involve a fair number of replaced parts and a lot more time.

I much prefer to replace rotten wood mounting pads with G10 or similar, glassed in place. Permanent fix for that.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 21:16   #34
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

"I much prefer to replace rotten wood mounting pads with G10 or similar, glassed in place. Permanent fix for that. "
Minaret is a pretty smart guy.

Groco has come out with some nice fiberglass mounting pads. Unfortunately I think they only fit Groco and Apollo Seacocks.

Groco Seacock Backing Block
Old 07-09-2014, 22:17   #35
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"I much prefer to replace rotten wood mounting pads with G10 or similar, glassed in place. Permanent fix for that. "
Minaret is a pretty smart guy.

Groco has come out with some nice fiberglass mounting pads. Unfortunately I think they only fit Groco and Apollo Seacocks.

Groco Seacock Backing Block

Easy to make yer own. You just crank out a sheet of flat stock and cut it up into the necessary number of discs with a hole saw, preferably doing the whole boat at once. Then I get one (or more) thru hull fittings of the matching size in SS, instead of bronze (they are dirt cheap). Then when I pot each plate in place, I insert the proper sized SS thru hull, apply filler around it on the inside of the hull, apply the fiberglass "doughnut", and then tighten the flange ring as normal, cleaning up the squeeze out of course (in a nice fillet). Let cure and dissassemble (obviously dont forget to grease the SS fitting with Partall), sand the fillet and interior for prep, and apply a light layup. Sand and coat. Obviously grind for prep first. The SS fitting gets all gooped up with epoxy and beat up instead of your nice new bronze ones. If you do it right, it's a dead fit every time. Better than store bought, which can only be bonded in, not glassed.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:38   #36

Thanks for that nice tutorial, Minaret. I will definitely tell Lance to take a look at it.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:44   #37
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for that nice tutorial, Minaret. I will definitely tell Lance to take a look at it.
Sure. Just be aware, takes a bit of work to do it that way. But then it's done, forever. No more mucking about with backing pads when you replace thru hulls. Basically it's only worth doing if you intend to keep the boat, as a prospective buyer will probably not know the difference.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:14   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:

I'll bet he uttered some salty phrases without you there, despite his patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I much prefer to replace rotten wood mounting pads with G10 or similar, glassed in place. Permanent fix for that.
+1!

Quote:
Easy to make yer own. You just crank out a sheet of flat stock and cut it up into the necessary number of discs with a hole saw, preferably doing the whole boat at once. Then I get one (or more) thru hull fittings of the matching size in SS, instead of bronze (they are dirt cheap). Then when I pot each plate in place, I insert the proper sized SS thru hull, apply filler around it on the inside of the hull, apply the fiberglass "doughnut", and then tighten the flange ring as normal, cleaning up the squeeze out of course (in a nice fillet). Let cure and dissassemble (obviously dont forget to grease the SS fitting with Partall), sand the fillet and interior for prep, and apply a light layup. Sand and coat. Obviously grind for prep first. The SS fitting gets all gooped up with epoxy and beat up instead of your nice new bronze ones. If you do it right, it's a dead fit every time. Better than store bought, which can only be bonded in, not glassed.
EVERTHING is easy for you... Of course the 30,000th pie is pretty easy to bake after the first 29.999k

Quote:
Sure. Just be aware, takes a bit of work to do it that way. But then it's done, forever. No more mucking about with backing pads when you replace thru hulls. Basically it's only worth doing if you intend to keep the boat, as a prospective buyer will probably not know the difference.
CONTRADICTION!!! Well... at least you are honest enough to admit it's a bit more work for us than you... Now... was that apple or berry???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:25   #39
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post

+1!

EVERTHING is easy for you... Of course the 30,000th pie is pretty easy to bake after the first 29.999k

CONTRADICTION!!! Well... at least you are honest enough to admit it's a bit more work for us than you... Now... was that apple or berry???

Berry for sure! Either blueberry or cherry streusel, mmmmmmm....

Honestly, it is quite simple. Just needs lots of work and patience and time and money.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:34   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Berry for sure! Either blueberry or cherry streusel, mmmmmmm....

Honestly, it is quite simple. Just needs lots of work and patience and time and money.
Good man... Apple is overdone...

We like simple... It's the shortage of:
Patience, time, and money we have a problem with...

Old 08-09-2014, 09:13   #41

Quote:
We have a lot of patience, like to do things right (and only once if possible). This is our last sailboat and we have no plans to sell this boat until we are too old and feeble to manage her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I was outside working on the wood and didn't hear any salty language, so if he was using it he was doing it very quietly. :-)

Old 08-09-2014, 20:42   #42

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
...They are drain screws for winterizing. They are also EXTREMELY rare because they are cast & machined from the same bronze the seacocks are. If you loose one, this is not good.
Absolutely right, but extremely rare? Try "impossible to find".

I have tried to find real bronze ones (brass are dime a dozen), unless you buy the seacock, no one sells them. Looks like a new product opportunity for Spartan or Groco.
Old 08-09-2014, 21:00   #43

Boat: Cooper 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
if it is on the hard: remove the hose and fill with PB blaster. return the next day and heat it up. done. if in water it may be more difficult.

Blaster is awesome stuff and should work..
Old 08-09-2014, 22:17   #44
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I wouldn't worry too much about the plug being brass. If I recall correctly the Wilcox seacocks came with brass plugs and I never saw one fail. When the seacock is open, no water is in contact with the plug. When it's closed only a couple of ounces of water are in contact with the tip of the plug. If you're worried about it, check it every so often.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:14   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Absolutely right, but extremely rare? Try "impossible to find".

I have tried to find real bronze ones (brass are dime a dozen), unless you buy the seacock, no one sells them. Looks like a new product opportunity for Spartan or Groco.
I'llbedam... I thought I would be sending you a link man... You be right!

What size are we taking about guys? 1/4 BSPT? NPT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the plug being brass. If I recall correctly the Wilcox seacocks came with brass plugs and I never saw one fail. When the seacock is open, no water is in contact with the plug. When it's closed only a couple of ounces of water are in contact with the tip of the plug. If you're worried about it, check it every so often.
I think you're right Hoppy... Sounds like a low worry issue with brass...

Business tip:

Why don't you have a bunch made up in Zinc???
You should be able to garner quite the "repeat business" list!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: