Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-04-2012, 13:28   #16

Boat: Maxum 37'
Re: Seized screw in fiberglass deck.

Grind or file the top of the screw, problem solved.

I've successfully drilled screws out, but only if they were threaded into metal. WHen in a soft material like fiberglass, the drill inevitably slipped and sunk into the surrounding material,...but then the screw came right out.

Old 10-04-2012, 14:01   #17

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

If there is any head left on the screw by now, try putting your screwdriver back in the slot or whatever type of screw it happens to be. Next whack the top of the screwdriver with a hammer.

Lost count of the number of screws and bolts that I have removed after whacking them to loosen the bond between the screw and the holding surfaces.

Foggy

Old 10-04-2012, 14:15   #18

Boat: Westsail 32

You might have a nut on the underside that is preventing you from extracting the screw.
Try snapping a vice grip on the screw head in a horrizontal position and slowly back the screw, bolt out, work wonders.
Old 10-04-2012, 15:10   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

mes-
If that is a slotted screw, sometimes it helps to get a dremel tool in there and make the slot a bit deeper, and match it up to the bit you want to use on it. An impact driver really ought to break it free IF the bit matches up and you are using a deadhammer, maul, something like that to whack it.

If you have a supermarket or other loca source to buy dry ice, try buying one small block of that and a bottle of alcohol. Bust up the dry ice, make a slurry and pack it over the offending screw. Give it ten minutes to freeze up, try the impact hammer. If it doesn't budge, give it ten more minutes and try again.

Freezing tends to release stuck parts just as well as torching them, but won't set the boat on fire.
Old 10-04-2012, 15:32   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 385

Screw and bolt exctractors do not work for fasteners that are seized. If the fastener snapped from a sideways force or (sometimes) from being overtightened, THEN the extractor may work. The extractors grip on the fastener will NOT be stronger than the original metal. And as said before, if you break that extractor off in the fastener, the extractor is harder than any drill bit you have in your tool box.
Old 10-04-2012, 19:01   #21

Boat: PETERSON 44
Screw extractors do work. You drill a small hole and then insert the extractor. Tap it with a hammer and try again you might get a bight. If not drill a bigger hole and try with the next extractor. When the head breaks off from drilling you remove the track and use vice grips to grab the screw body or option 2 hollow bit extractor and drill around the body. Wallah you have removed the screw using a screw extractor.
Old 10-04-2012, 19:09   #22
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

[QUOTE=sabray;928462 Wallah you have removed the screw using a screw extractor.[/QUOTE]

Just so you know wallah is a derogatory (sort of) Hindu term for a menial laborer, ie chai-wallah, dhobi-wallah, punkha-wallah, etc. I believe you were looking for voila, a french term meaning "here it is" or literally "look there". Sorry to be a spelling nazi I just couldn't help that one.
Old 10-04-2012, 19:36   #23

Boat: Switch 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I would drill the screw out, fill the hole with expoy ( use an alen key to break up core around the hole and also fill with expoy if it's a cored deck) and re-tap the thread.
People always make this suggestion but I am not sure any of them have really tried it. Unless the core is really punky this is a good way to have a maniac little drill on your hands. Get the right depth router bit and use that. Much easier to handle.
Old 10-04-2012, 20:03   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac
Before trying an EZ Out or other brand of screw extractor you might want to read the comments on this thread I started after my last (last and final forever) experience.

Broken EZ Out
For those who have used those extractors with success, I complement you. I have never been successful on many many attempts. Will never pick up one again.

Don
Old 10-04-2012, 20:17   #25

Boat: Liberty 458
When a screw extractor isn't practical, especially on small screws, I weld an electrode ro the head and then use vice grips as a wrench.

Stick welder is ok for 1/4" up and I use a Tig torch for smaller fasteners. I have a purpose built ground probe which requires a third hand. Have performed this task dozens of times with no damage to the surroundings.
Old 10-04-2012, 20:38   #26

My only experience with extractors is to have them break off. I have had success removing the broken extractor by grinding it out with a Dremel chain saw sharpening bit (or 3 or 4 of them). It takes patience.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:53   #27

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Just so you know wallah is a derogatory (sort of) Hindu term for a menial laborer, ie chai-wallah, dhobi-wallah, punkha-wallah, etc. I believe you were looking for voila, a french term meaning "here it is" or literally "look there". Sorry to be a spelling nazi I just couldn't help that one.
Minaret,
In arabic it means I swear to god so its probably more blasphemous then derogatory. Thanks for pointing out the other definition. Either way several faiths are going to look poorly upon me. I have also wallahed at a screw extractor.

Tags
fiberglass

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: