Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-02-2011, 22:04   #16
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Seeking Suggestions on Rudder Repair

I think method of repair and materials used as described in this thread vary with what one has on hand and has experience with.

The method I described will make the rudder stronger than original while it's also very easy to do... a combination I like to advice to somebody who asks how to deal with the repair. In other words: I think the method PAR describes needs more experience than GorillaToast has.

The white pigment isn't needed I agree... I mentioned it because I have it around and it only takes seconds to use it and it does make finishing easier. It's the paint job that I find the most bothersome part of the repair.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 25-02-2011, 22:18   #17
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Seeking Suggestions on Rudder Repair

Generally I think there's enough info already to sort out your problem...
I'd maybe add a thing or two but at the moment I'm a lot drunk and not in agood mood so I'll add nothing except.... whatever they said....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 23:30   #18
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR

Mylar is available in many things and locations. I get it on a wide roll for a plotter, but smaller sheets can be found in office supply stores. I prefer fairly thick sheets and use it on developed surfaces, but you can also use other materials like polyurethane and polyethylene. The thinner stuff can be forced into a compound, but this is going beyond what a novice should do.

If you have some 'glassing experience, then this is a walk in the park and you'll have ground it back to good mat by now, feathered edges and all. If not, download the user's guides from West System and System Three. These will nurse you through with good results.

Keep it simple, remove the loose stuff and grind back to good mat. Then taper the edges of the repair area with a genital slope for a few inches. Wet out the area with straight epoxy, then mix up the thickened epoxy to a peanut butter consistency, so it can't sag and trowel it on. To avoid complication, skip the Mylar and trowel it as smooth as you can, aiming to finish it off just shy of flush. You can use bits of fabric or mat if you like as bulking agents, but it's not necessary. Straight silica will work, though mixing milled fibers and silica will make a better mechanical bond to the freshly coated mat. I use silica as a viscosity control agent more then a structural element in a bonding mixture. I'd prefer to use cotton flock (West 403 or similar) and/or calcium metacilicate (West 404 or similar) as fillers in structural blends.

When this gets just past being tacky, mix up a fairing mixture of micro balloons (West 407), again using a touch of silica to control viscosity and trowel slightly proud of the surface. Sand fair, epoxy prime and paint.
Old 26-02-2011, 00:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast View Post
Is that a realistic possibility, if the glassing is done properly? Or am I over-thinking it?
Getting back to the original query...

I reckon, GorillaToast, that you slightly over-thought it with the glass tape but then some posters have really over-thought it seemingly trying to out-do the others with rocket science.

I mean get a grip fellas - it's a trailing edge and strength is simply not an issue. The flow of water didn't do the damage - as the OP suggested, somebody probably dropped it or whatever.

Mate, I urge you to do much as you originally suggested. Clean it up, fill with epoxy bog, fair and paint if you wish - and then forget it. I guarantee that simple solution will provide all the strength that trailing edge ever needs - unless you attack it again with a hammer.
Old 26-02-2011, 01:05   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

suppose you could allways vacume bag it and put it in an auto clave oven as well...........

just to be really sure...............
Old 26-02-2011, 07:49   #21

Boat: Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Getting back to the original query...

I reckon, GorillaToast, that you slightly over-thought it with the glass tape but then some posters have really over-thought it seemingly trying to out-do the others with rocket science.

I mean get a grip fellas - it's a trailing edge and strength is simply not an issue. The flow of water didn't do the damage - as the OP suggested, somebody probably dropped it or whatever.

Mate, I urge you to do much as you originally suggested. Clean it up, fill with epoxy bog, fair and paint if you wish - and then forget it. I guarantee that simple solution will provide all the strength that trailing edge ever needs - unless you attack it again with a hammer.
Since I don't have any of the suggested materials on-hand, and after adding up the costs for all of the materials suggested, I'm looking at being into well over $130 if go the most complicated route.

This is the rudder for a 20' boat that will only be cruising a small inland lake, so it doesn't need to be able to hold up to 12' seas and 50kt winds.

I think I'll go with the KISS principle.

Thanks to all for your input.
Old 26-02-2011, 11:03   #22
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Since I don't have any of the suggested materials on-hand, and after adding up the costs for all of the materials suggested, I'm looking at being into well over $130 if go the most complicated route.
A yard of 2" wide fiberglass tape costs $2.99 at West Marine. The rest you need for the repair no matter the method.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 26-02-2011, 16:02   #23

Boat: Gibsea 302, 9m

simply a sheet of polyethylene as for packaging or under a concrete floor,
smooth the repair on the sheet with a credit card

warning : no one talks about the dangers associated with the epoxy resins, very serious allergies ... (great product, but not innocent)
Old 26-02-2011, 16:27   #24

Boat: Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
A yard of 2" wide fiberglass tape costs $2.99 at West Marine. The rest you need for the repair no matter the method.

cheers,
Nick.
From WM, I can get their new G-Flex kit for $20, which includes #406 colloidal silica.
Old 26-02-2011, 19:31   #25
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
From WM, I can get their new G-Flex kit for $20, which includes #406 colloidal silica.
Correct. I am talking about $2.99 aka less than three bucks for the yard of tape which will work with the kit you describe.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 26-02-2011, 19:50   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

No way that repair would cost $130. Got any friends in the medical field that can slip you some old x-rays? Perfect for the mylar part. Or, the side of a plastic gallon milk jug cut to shape. All you need is the epoxy, hardener, a bit of 10oz glass and some filler.
kind regards,

Tags
repairs, rudder

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: