Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2016, 11:36   #1

Boat: Columbia 50'
Seeking advice for building solar panel mount/canopy

So, I've recently started the process of upgrading my entire electrical system on my 50' Columbia. I've ordered a lot of new equipment and now I'm tasked with figuring out where to put it all. Mostly, this comes down to where to put the solar panels and the wind generator.

For reference, I'll post a picture of my vessel below. The panels I've bought are 2x 150w semi-flexible panels. They are light weight and are each 5' long by 22" wide. Side by side, this makes about 5' x 3' 8".

My goal is to use these panels as a shade cover over my cockpit. They will sit right in between my boom and backstay, which has about 4'2" in between them, and it will sit about the same height as the boom.

Now the design I'm considering is rather simple, pretty much 2 crossbars coming up and thats it. Similar to modern car truck racks. I'd like to have a slight curve up top since my panels are somewhat flexible, i'd like them to curve slightly to catch more light early morning and late afternoon, as well as to allow water to run off easier and not collect on the panels when it rains.

Now comes my question.
I've looked at many options for materials. Obviously 316 Stainless is first choice, however, it is hard to source on Kauai, and expensive to have custom made. I've also looked into PVC, Galv Steel, and Aluminum. Which all have their qualities as far as easy of installation and cost. I'm mostly wondering what experience others have had with these other materials on their boats?

I'm concerned in the strength of the PVC, as well as it becoming brittle over time and cracking, so this is my least favorite option, but it is the cheapest and easiest to install. Aluminum I would have to source from elsewhere but it is lightweight, doesnt rust and is cheaper than 316SS, but again, not sure of its strength and durability at sea. Galv. steel is easily accessible here and relatively cheap, but i'm not sure how long it would last without rusting out on board.

My main concerns for this project are cost, looks, ease of installation and durability when under sail in heavy winds as my panels were not cheap and this would be a permanent structure.

If it comes down to everyone telling me to just splurge for the 316SS, which i'm already leaning towards, I'm curious what size would accommodate my needs. The panels are lightweight. Less than 20lbs for the both of them, and eventually I will use these bars to mount the wind generator, which I have not received yet, but it seems to be rather light as well. So maybe 1" SS? 1-1/2"?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ciro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2781.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	133377  
Piratelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 21:28   #2

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas
Re: Seeking advice for building solar panel mount/canopy

I can see why looks matter to you. Nice butt! Go with aluminum, especially if that is what the panels are framed with.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 01:11   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

What superb lines.

Nothing I can think of is going to do anything but spoil the appearance, but I accept that power is rather important and panels will beat the crap out of running the engine to charge the batteries.

But, what you propose has a couple of drawbacks that I think you should consider. The idea of using the panels for shade over the cockpit is all very well but you will find it a PITA when you cannot see the sails. We have this problem and I am forever stepping out to the afterdeck to check trim. At least in our case it simply a matter of me finding the time to put in a clear section as ours is all sunbrella cloth. If I had the panels up there I would be stuck for options. Is putting the panels on the cabin top out of the question?

Also, I think what you propose sounds a little weak for the wind gen. I suppose it depends a lot on the model you choose but the momentum of a wind generator at the top of a long pole is very considerable when the boat starts tossing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-10-2016, 05:04   #4

Boat: Brewer 44

go with stainless, stronger and it looks better. PVC is just ugly on a sailboat. Also, dont those flexible panels need to be supported? I though they had to have some type of backing.
bfiegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 08:29   #5

Boat: 1985 Endeavour 33

I would go with 1" 316. I have a bimini, which I don't see on yours, thus your need for shade. The easiest way is to mount two bars on the bimini frame between the spanners and use a couple of 90 degree connectors to make two more cross bars over the top of the bimini. One of the big issues you will find is that if any portion of your boom partially blocks the sun from the panels it almost completely knocks them both out for charging. They need to be free and clear of any shade. This will happen whether you connect them in parallel or series.

http://www.watermanscanvas.com/photo...ove-bimini.jpg
1mardiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 09:18   #6

Go for stainless every time - it's shiny and nice. I don't think it will obscure your view either since the wheel is well-forward.
Nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 10:08   #7

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Aluminum gets my vote. Mine is a double duty with davits as well as solar panel placement.
Old 22-10-2016, 11:36   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

I'd vote for Aluminum, if for no other reason than the electrolysis issue, cost, and weight. Also, as long as you place those panels aft, you can have a plastic window in the Bimini and observe the Main's set pretty easily.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 12:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
What superb lines.

Nothing I can think of is going to do anything but spoil the appearance, but I accept that power is rather important and panels will beat the crap out of running the engine to charge the batteries.

But, what you propose has a couple of drawbacks that I think you should consider. The idea of using the panels for shade over the cockpit is all very well but you will find it a PITA when you cannot see the sails. We have this problem and I am forever stepping out to the afterdeck to check trim. At least in our case it simply a matter of me finding the time to put in a clear section as ours is all sunbrella cloth. If I had the panels up there I would be stuck for options. Is putting the panels on the cabin top out of the question?

Also, I think what you propose sounds a little weak for the wind gen. I suppose it depends a lot on the model you choose but the momentum of a wind generator at the top of a long pole is very considerable when the boat starts tossing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The Cabin top would be ideal, if I didnt have a large boom blocking sunlight most of the day. However, visibility as well as keeping the space on deck clear and free of obstacles is one of my main concerns. That is why I have decided to place the panels over the cockpit. Let me clarify though, they will only cover maybe the back 1/3 of the cockpit, and stop at about the wheel. This way they will not block my view forward at all (which is already hard to see when anchoring) and will provide some sort of "dual-purpose" rather than just being a mount for solar panels, it will provide shade as well.

As for the wind generator, I would likely beef up the support if it was needed, but for now i just need it to support the panels with the option of adding to the design later for the wind genny.
Old 22-10-2016, 12:03   #10

Boat: Hudson 50

I'd recommend building a structure you can use for multiple purposes such as a Bimini or an Arch. You mentioned that you want to add a wind generator, maybe someday you will want davidts for your dinghy. This project is a first step so it is important to get the foundation right

In my case I needed to support my boom so I started with a boom gallows, then added a Bimini and tied it into davidts . Finally I installed a dodger and connected it to the Bimini. You can see how the project keeps expanding. The solar panels are next. I've used stainless steel tubing to build the Bimini . It is tied into the stations and very strong . I will make stainless steel frames out of 1/2 inch stock with cross pieces to support the solar panels. I've attached a picture below but it all starts with building a foundational structure that suits your boat. My vote would be to start with a nice solid stainless tube Bimini and build from there. Sailrite.com offers some nice kits
Good luck
Oceandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 12:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
Aluminum gets my vote. Mine is a double duty with davits as well as solar panel placement.
Very Nice. A little more going on here than I was planning (mainly due to cost) but i really like the look, as well as being able to incorporate the davits into it. Do you remember the grade, diameter and wall thickness of the aluminum you used? I think I am more drawn to Aluminum at this point, but here on Kauai its hard to find a welder that isn't afraid to weld the stuff. The biggest downside of upgrading my system here is the lack of materials and the cost of them for that reason.
Old 22-10-2016, 12:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiegener View Post
go with stainless, stronger and it looks better. PVC is just ugly on a sailboat. Also, dont those flexible panels need to be supported? I though they had to have some type of backing.
The flexible panels will need to be supported...they are "semi" flexible and are fairly sturdy, but I will be supporting them by other means. The ones I bought actually have a fiberglass layer on the backside so they are relatively strong (Although one didnt survive the shipping process). First I want to build a solid base structure and add to it later as fund become available and I figure out other uses for it.
Old 22-10-2016, 12:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandeep View Post
I'd recommend building a structure you can use for multiple purposes such as a Bimini or an Arch. You mentioned that you want to add a wind generator, maybe someday you will want davidts for your dinghy. This project is a first step so it is important to get the foundation right

In my case I needed to support my boom so I started with a boom gallows, then added a Bimini and tied it into davidts . Finally I installed a dodger and connected it to the Bimini. You can see how the project keeps expanding. The solar panels are next. I've used stainless steel tubing to build the Bimini . It is tied into the stations and very strong . I will make stainless steel frames out of 1/2 inch stock with cross pieces to support the solar panels. I've attached a picture below but it all starts with building a foundational structure that suits your boat. My vote would be to start with a nice solid stainless tube Bimini and build from there. Sailrite.com offers some nice kits
Good luck
I didn't see the picture you mentioned, but I agree that it is important to get my foundation right. And greatful for all the great ideas already being posted here. I hadn't thought of using it for Dingy davits but that is something I would like to be able to add in later.
For my vessels design, I cant see ever wanting to add a bimini, it would restrict my view no matter where it folds up and it would be too easy to have a shade cover that I slide over the boom when anchored for a while.
My main concerns are keeping my view clear, and keeping things out of the way if I need to run up to the bow. I don't want a bunch of poles in my way. I think it would be much easier to design if I didn't have to work around the backstay...nothing I can do about that though.

I look forward to seeing your pictures if you are able to post them, you mentioned using 1/2" stock stainless, is this only for the solar panel frames? What size did you use for the main structure (Especially those supporting the davits?)
Old 22-10-2016, 12:35   #14

For reference, here is a better picture of her butt

I plan on building the solar panel mount/canopy between the boom and back stay at about the height of the backstay. so it will only cover the wheel house part of the cockpit...I'm also considering building on the other side of the back stay in order to use davits later on but I like the idea of having the solar panels closer for wiring issues, as well as having shade over the most used part of my cockpit.

Please ignore the scuff marks from the boat that bumped up against mine a few weeks ago
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2733.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	133457  
Old 22-10-2016, 13:06   #15

Boat: Hudson 50

I built the Bimini Frame out of 1" stainless tubing. Sail rite has a nice kit that can be easily modified. As for the Davidts they are 1.5" stock. Again there are several kits out there that you can adapt. Let me try to attach some photos. I always seem to have trouble with adding photos on this site. (User error I suspect)

Tags
solar