Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 12:23   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Angry Sears Weatherbeater Deck Paint

Yes, you read that correctly, our boat has Sears Weatherbeater LATEX deck paint.

I spent about nine hours last weekend sanding the paint, which was mixed with sand, down to a fairly smooth surface. This is only the non-skid areas, so not all of the boat.

It came off fairly easy, at least 90% of it. I thought that was a god thing. It helped that 50% of it was gone, weathered away, when we took delivery of the boat.

I wanted to find out if the non-skid paint was one or two part paint. So I emailed the previous owner, who was also best friends with the original owner who painted the deck back in the late 1980s.

Yep, The answer was Sears Weatherbeater. One quick lookup on the web confirmed that it is Latex. So now I have the joy of going back and making sure that 100% of this damm paint of off of the boat.

So the question begs - what were they thinking??? this was not some deralect boat, but a nice less than five year old (at the time) Westerly!!!

Sorry, had to rant.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
So the question begs - what were they thinking???
Well in general previous owners are the lowest life form known to man except when you sell your boat or I sell mine. Given two legs no telling where people will go. It just points out that not every idea is a good one.

The good news is it shouldn't stick like one or two part paint, but might have some bite in places where the old nonskid was not totally shot. If you get it all off you can primer and hopefully come out with a nice job.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Goes to show, anyone can buy a boat and anyone can do whatever they want with it so long as you are not carrying passengers for hire...as it should be. Buyer beware.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 13:27   #4

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Painted back in the late 80s eh? If that paint only lasted 20 years or so .... someone should look up this previous owner, drag him out in the parking lot and beat the #@*^ out of him!

By the way, how many colors do you think that weatherbeater comes in?
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 16:29   #5

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
deck paint

Have been testing a commercial deck & paving paint on some parts of the deck. Good finish with a hopper gun. Previously used 2pac & sugar but very labour intensive & subject to weather. one 6th the cost.
Results look good. Paints have come a long way in the last 15yrs.

Bill Goodward
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 17:32   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Um, Sears has had "DECK" paint for as long as New England and Ohio homes have had "decks". Deck as in THE FRONT PORCH DECK.

AFAIK that has never been made or sold as marine deck paint, which is a very different thing. Are you saying that you used "deck" paint made for the wooden proch deck of a home on your boat? Or that Sears now has a marine fiberglass boat deck paint? Or that they are one and the same? (Too good to be true!)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 17:39   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']AFAIK that has never been made or sold as marine deck paint[/FONT]
I don't think anyone tried to say it was. Frankly, I wouldn't use it on my deck out on the back porch either.
Old 10-03-2008, 17:51   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Heck, Paul, you southerners just don't seem to know that "back deck paint" just ain't the same as "deck paint". Any damn Yankee coulda told you that. [vbg]
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 18:03   #9
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Heck, Paul, you southerners just don't seem to know that "back deck paint" just ain't the same as "deck paint". Any damn Yankee coulda told you that. [vbg]
Hey, don't be running us southerners down.

Now, tell me. Is a deck anything like a porch? Ya, know, the place out front where my dogs sleep? Cause at first I though you wuz painting a deck of cards. Seemed kinda silly to me.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 18:15   #10

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
fuel for the fire

Saw some deck paint for boats by Rustolem (what ever) at Lowes
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 00:28   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
But some deck (house deck) paints can be good. So don't throw all "non-marine" products out because they are for house use. There are latex and Chlorinated rubber products made for concrete pool surrounds and other area's of non-slip use that work very well on decks. Easy to apply and easy to reapply again in the future. My deck has one of these products and it has been on there four years now. Still looks great. I have experianced and used just about every deck product there is and the one I hate the most is sand in paint. I have seen it wreck plainole ply decks.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:12   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
I'm with Wheels on this one. I have tried "marine" nonskid paints of various types, marine nonskid paint additives, sand, sugar, single pack, two pack on various decks - steel, ply, glass. None where great, some where OK. Currently using similar style of stuff as Wheels (must be good) on epoxy and glass over ply. If it is good enough for a pool surround or tennis court, I am hoping it will be good on deck. So far after 18 months, it is holding up well on the hard. Easy to apply, wash out in water, not to expensive. Its a single pack followed by a 6 pack.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:46   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
The paint cannot be the "Deck" paint by sears, which is not latex. The stuff just sands away too easily. I'm all for saving money by not buying "Marine" it makes sense. This was not one of those times.

Now for a question. Could one of those green paint strippers make fast work of the rest of this paint, while leaving the original paint intact? I assume the original is either some kind of poly or enamel.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 15:07   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Probably not but I am not a paint chemist. Try some on a small area and see what happens.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 18:01   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Could one of those green paint strippers make fast work of the rest of this paint, while leaving the original paint intact?
It would at least dull the shine. Even Awlgrip does not like harsh chemicals and it is about as tough a finish as you can get. I would assume anything original was a two part product that is pretty tough. You wont remove the crappy paint and get the old paint back with a new finis.

Tags
deck