Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 09:28   #1

Seam Cracks - Fisher

I don't know if this has been addressed before or not but my search has not located anything.
We are looking at a 1979 37' Fisher motorsailer that has cracks at the hull to deck seam at 4 of the 6 scuppers, two are allowing leakage into the hull primarily in the quarterberth area.
Contacts made via the Fisher Owners site suggest that this is a known flaw with the Fishers although the reply from Northshore Yachts denied any knowledge of the problem.
Several replies from owners indicated they apparently had success grinding out the polyester "bondo" originally used in the seam and replacing it with an epoxy. It would appear that the deck tub/molding includes the inner surface of the bulwarks and that the seam is also vertical at each of the "scupper areas and then covered by the caprail at the top edge of the hull and deck sections. Hope this description is understandable.
I'm guessing that an end to end repair of this seam would be a challenge to say the least. Any comments would be most welcome.
RThynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 09:33   #2

Re: Seam cracks - Fisher

Not sure I really understand the scenario. Can you actually see cracks or are they under the caprail at the top? or are they visible at the scupper openings only...? If you're talking removing the caprail and redoing the joint...yeah...that's a big job!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 10:14   #3

Re: Seam Cracks - Fisher

The cracks are visible in the scupper area and are presently only on the horizontal part of the seam. Two of these are the known leakers. If we decide to go ahead with a purchase I was debating whether to attempt a removal of the cap rail for additional inspection of the seam and then possibly attempt an end to end seam repair if additional cracking is found.
RThynes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fisher