Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 21:12   #1

Boat: cal 2-25
Sealing stanchion base where pulpit is attached?

Ok this is my first question on CF . For the past several days I have been rebeding my bow pulpit. Had a small slow drip on port side where the bow navigation wire enters the forward cabin. The deck of the old cal is rock solid with no soft spots and I wanted to make sure I did this spot on. After removing the stanchion bases and sanding and prepping them I used an epoxy to refill all the bolt holes after allowing them to get bone dry. Reattaching using 3m 4200 around the bottom of the base and also around each of the three bolts. Sanded it out flat and red rolled through the set epoxy material as to seal the complete hole from top to bottom, I am happy with this so far but am wondering now what method is best for sealing the actual pulpit leg into the base. It would seem that water with run down into the bases through the small gap aI see when the pulpit slides into the base
Stormsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 17:02   #2
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31
Re: Sealing stanchion base where pulpit is attached?

I'm in the process of rebedding my bow pulpit. I am following the guidelines post on compass marine. Many have recommended this site.

Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

My pulpit does not have seperate bases, but I would guess you need something that stays flexible and will allow for easy dissassembly in the futrue, like Life Kaulk.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:21   #3

Boat: cal 2-25
Thanks for the link. I was thinking I may just use 100 percent silicon in the joints where the pulpit slides into the base just to keep the water and grime out as the base itself I did rebed and reseal. I will look into the recommendations from the link you provided. Thank you. Stormsailor
Stormsailor is offline   Reply With Quote