Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 08:41   #1

Sealing Stainless Diesel Tank

I am moving forward with converting my starboard settee water tank to diesel. Given that age of the tank (1981) and the fact that it does show surface corrosion on the weld seams externally and given that the port side tank has a tiny weld seam leak.... plus given that I must drain, dry and clean the tank anyhow... it seems prudent to take steps to seal the tank from the inside as best as I can.

For my water tank I am going to use Microseal which is ok for potable water and should seal the tank.

What can I pour or spray into the stainless tank that will work its way into seams and serve to seal the tank and be good to go with diesel? There must be some product.... what have you guys used?

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:47   #2

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Hi I have heard of many people that have put a flexi tank inside I am afraid I dont know of the companies that supply these but a search on the web should help
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:05   #3

The stainless tank is baffled, no putting a bladder inside. I need an epoxy sort of substance that can be sprayed in at the edges, dry to a seal and be diesel safe.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:07   #4

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Sorry I have a friend that says he has used a water based epoxy from Joton paints perhaps thay can help
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:08   #5

You can check with a radiator shop they will have access to a product you can pour into the tank to seal it. Can you move the tank around to spread the liquid around? Can the tank be removed?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:48   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Remember that a tank that doesn't leak water, can leak when diesel is put in it. This is because the water molecules are much larger than some (or all?) components of diesel. It's therefor needed to pressure-test the tank to check if it's leak-free or not.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote