Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2010, 08:26   #1

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Sealing Diesel Tank Ports...

Hi All! Just started building my diesel tank access ports. Right now I am planning to use Neoprene gaskets as the primary seal...unless someone here KNOWS first hand of something better that isnt made of Unobtainium. I want nothing to do with any type of goop like Permatex #2, etc. and I'm hoping to use a reusable gasket material. Also, if Neoprene is right, anyone know of a cheap source in the USA? Thanks, Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 08:33   #2

Boat: 50' custom pilot house cutter
sealing fuel tank access

Chris: Buna N is what you want, not neoprene. Also known as nitrile, much more resistant to petroleum products. Readily available from McMaster in all kinds of shapes and sizes. I used 1/8", 1 piece the size of the whole cover plate with undersized holes for bolts punched in. No leaks.

Best, Bob S/V Restless
bob kingsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 12:04   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Please take Bob's advice. I made my gaskets from Neoprene. They totally failed after 4 years or so. I had purchased a sheet of neoprene for making gaskets. When I decided to replace the gaskets, I made it out of that material. After 4 years, spotted a leak when we were filling the tanks. touched the gasket, they had the consistency of pudding. Totally destroyed.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 17:40   #4

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Buna-N / Nitrile it is! Yet another example of why this forum rocks... Hearing the voice of experience with something as arcane as Diesel tank inspection port seals! Thank you both for your posts. You saved me a lot of trouble down the road. I owe you both several beers.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote